What's new

The Mentalist - season 1 (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Or they just want to preserve the syndication ability to show most of the episodes in any order and just not mention it again.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Another great episode. I loved when Lisbon told Van Pelt that everyone knows Rigsby is in love with her.

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan

Ha yeah that was great. We still have ten episodes to go this season.:eek: I thought we were getting toward the end. I can't decide which I like better: The Mentalist or Psych. Tough.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is my first post since the pilot and I must say that i've changed my tune with this show, i'm really loving it now.

The great pleasure I get, besides getting to see the ever so hot Amanda Righetti every week, is from watching the character of Patrick Jane. Baker plays him with such a wise and wide-eyed innocence that you can't help but like him and at times, when he's vulnerable, your heart breaks for him.

He gets these charming and funny instances where he encounters something he knows to be remarkably absurd and gets this wide child-like grin on his face as if to say "This is hilariously preposterous, i'm going to have lots of fun debunking this." lol.

Great character and a funny and breezily written cop show. :emoji_thumbsup:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Hammer, I am glad you changed your mind. And from the ratings..So have a lot of the viewing public.

With regards to Simon Baker. He definitely should be nominated for an Emmy. He really sells the character. His delivery and mannerisms really bring a reality to the character.

And yes Amanda Righetti is always nice to look at.

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan

Agreed. Simon makes the show. The only time I felt as though he was acting poorly was when he was crying at the end of the episode when he was told that his daughter didn't feel any pain. That ruined the mood for me. Other then that he has been great.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Have to disagree with ya there, Spartan, Jane broke my heart in that scene. It was actually the scene I was specifically thinking of in my previous post when I was talking about vulnerability.

It showed that he can act as casual and playful with the job all he wants but under that he is a deeply hurt human being, the psychic touched that nerve and he broke down. Whether she was genuine or not doesn't matter, she told him something deeply personal and something that he was desperate to hear.

Completely understandable considering what Red John did to his family. :frowning:

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Hammer, you are absolutely right. But, it's not only what Red John did to his family. Their death wasn't random. He feels tremendous guilt that his arrogance caused their deaths.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am just really enjoying this show. Even when the plot is weak. The dialogue and acting between the characters feels real and not scripted. Even the little nuances between the male characters when they are discussing things about women.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Also, I love how the normally cool and calculating Jane loses it whenever he sees someone show no or bad feelings towards spouses and/or children. Just shows you the scars of his lose are still very strong.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The whole ensemble is great, and works very well together. All of the characters are very distinct and very specific. But the past few weeks I've especially been loving Tim Kang as Cho. His whole Joe Friday "Just the facts ma'am" approach is just hysterical. He isn't as flashy as - well, everybody else.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
But that's what makes him so funny. And it must be hard to never smile. I just think it is a gem of a performance, and easy to overlook.

And Amanda Righetti and Robin Tunney are impossible to overlook, so that works out well. :D

BTW, am I the only one who kept waiting...

...for Alicia Witt's character to turn up dead at the end of the finale. I kept expecting Jane to get the news that she'd be horribly murdered by Red John, revenge for losing his apprentice and current victim, not to mention missing his chance to capture Jane. Maybe I just have a more sadistic turn of mind than the writers do. ;)

Regards,

Joe

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Another thing which is interesting...Baker plays Jane like most people in a dangerous situation....They are nervous and back away from the danger. Unlike most shows were the main character would be the tough guy. Jane isn't. And everytime the team moves in..You see his skittishness. Thats why it was a huge thing for him to kill the sheriff with the shotgun.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also really like the show. I didn't start watching it right away, but I think I have now seen all of the episodes and have started appreciating it more and more.

Even though it has a nice ensemble feel, it is really Baker's show and he does a great job with it (see Todd's comments above). I love the supporting characters too (see Joe's comments above).

The Red John storyline has been well done and really gives Jane's character a lot of weight. I like the fact that his skittishness goes away when it comes to pursuing Red John.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Exactly right, Jane isn't a cop afterall, he may be brilliant but physical force isn't something he particularly likes to get involved with and it makes him nervous.

As much as I love his character he makes me nervous whenever he gets close to Red John and starts to go all Death Wish, threatening openly that Red John is his and his alone and wants to hear nothing of arresting him or prosecuting him.

Jane wants that man dead and that's that.

On a sidenote I would have a very difficult time working with Vanpelt, especially if I was attracted to her, the woman is just too damned hot lol.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Actually, I'm pretty sure that whole rant to Lisbon was his way of telling her he wanted to go off with the sheriff alone while she followed. They had obviously worked that out in advance, which is one reason why Jane walked into that basement so blithely. He knew Lisbon and the cavalry were on the way. Interesting that they have enough of a rapport that they can communicate privately, in between the lines of an apparent argument like that.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks