The Medallion - a review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    Going in I knew pretty much nothing about the film, beside it featured a medallion, Jackie Chan, and a little boy (most likely, the chosene one). I had some time to kill while waiting for my car to be repair (I hate unexpected large repair bills!), so I walked on over to catch a movie at the nearby theater, and "The Medallion" was the only one that would end before closing time at the repair shop.

The film is pretty much a standard Jackie Chan vehicle in terms of very little characterization (though there are some bits of background that try to flesh out how the main characters relate to one another, it's all pretty superficial) and some good stunt work, with bits of comedy sprinkled dryly throughout the film. So know that it's your standard Jackie Chan flick, with some supernatural bits tossed in so Jackie gets to do some special effects within the framework of the film (a la wire-work, etc), but he still does some of his amazing stuntwork when he's still normal in the 1st act of the film. There are 2 pretty big laughs in the film that had the audience rolling.

It was a treat to see Claire Forlani in a film where she seems pretty happy to be in the film because she seemed to have a good time shooting it. It was getting a little morose seeing her in overly dramatic parts in the last 5 years. Also, she gets to kick some butt, but for some reason they used a stunt double for Claire in some of the more athletic scenes, and her stunt double appears to be an Asian woman with purplish highlights in her hair. [​IMG]

Lee Evans, probably a name you won't recognize, but has a face you will (was the psycho guy in "Something About Mary" who deliverered pizzas, I think, among other disguises). He's annoying at first, but once he settles down into his groove, he gets off a few funny lines based on who his character is.

Julian Sands didn't have much material to work with as the villain in the film. It could have been anyone in that role, for the most part.

The child playing the Chosen One was okay, he didn't have a lot to do, but had a winning smile.

So if you have 90 minutes to kill, it's a decent enough flick, but don't have high expectations.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Oh, don't forget to stay for the outtakes, there are some funny ones and painful ones (that remind you that Jackie still does many of his stunts and they don't always go right on the first take).
  2. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

Jun 16, 2001
    The Medallion is by far the worst Jackie Chan movie I've ever seen.

With all the CG and quick editing, the action scenes were no fun. The humor fell flat, especially everything Lee Evans did ("It's a holy gun, because it leaves a very big hole-y" [​IMG] ). Claire Forlani had zero chemistry with Jackie and it was painful to watch their romance unfold. John Rhys-Davies (who seems to show up in every movie about a mysterious artifact) is given a completely useless role. Julian Sands was laughable as the villain who was trying too hard to act like Jason Isaacs (coincidentally, Jackie's co-star in The Tuxedo). Even the outtakes weren't as enjoyable as in previous Chan movies.

[​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll take another Rush Hour or Shanghai Noon over this crap.
  3. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Jul 19, 2003
    Just saw this, pathetic, I can't remember when I was in a theater that was that quiet!
    I love Chan and most of the films I've see, even The Tuxedo, but this was a chore to sit through. There were some good stunts, but Julian needed more to work with, Evans was OK, but he also didn't have any material to work with. There was 0 plot, 0 suspense, almost complete lack of humor. Did anyone else get the idea that the story was shot, then edited out to get to the fights quicker? there is no flow to it.....[​IMG] .[​IMG] .[​IMG]

Sad too, I really like Chan[​IMG]
  4. Augustin Rodriguez

Sep 18, 1999
    It looked to me as if this movie was made strictly for the China base and was later edited for American audiences. I saw a lot of dubbing in the beginning and it felt like his really old stuff that didn't do too well. Rumble in the Bronx comes to mind. Personally I didn't care for it.
  5. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Jul 22, 2002
    Here is my review for the Medallion that ran this week in the paper. Oh how I hated this film.

by Chad Wright

The Medallion

Written by: Bey Logan, Gordon Chan, Alfred Cheung, Bennett Joshua Davlin, Paul Wheeler
    Directed by: Gordon Chan

Sorry for my absence last week (if anyone noticed). I was out having a baby. Well, not actually me, but my wife. Last Tuesday morning, Conner Allan Wright was welcomed into the world. He’s a good looking boy … and clearly gets those looks from his mom. Now that my proud poppa duties are done …

I guess since I have something new and wonderful in my life, the cinema gods chose to balance that out by making me sit through the worst eighty-nine minutes of my life. I have never in my life walked out of a movie. Twenty minutes into “The Medallion,” I was seriously considering making a break for the door.

Up to this point, the worst film I had ever seen (and I’ve seen a lot) was “The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.” I was obviously not the target audience for that film. So, understandably, I’d rather have a root canal than watch it. Sadly, “The Medallion” is a thousand times worse than that. How much do I hate you “Medallion?” Let me count the ways.

One — Jackie Chan. There are two Jackie Chan movies I have seen that I actually liked — “Rush Hour” … and “Rush Hour 2.” I proudly own both of those. Other than that, though, I can’t stand anything he’s in. They all invariably involve him being a super cop of some kind. This one is no different, only now he’s a cop with super powers given to him by a medallion. Either way, it’s nothing you haven’t seen before if you ever caught one of his movies.

Two — The rest of the actors. There isn’t a single good performance in this movie. Everyone involved should be really, really ashamed they took these roles. Part of the problem is how badly written these characters are. Everyone of them is irritating. Within the first few minutes, I was wishing each character would have a slow painful death. Even then, the story thwarted me. Half of the characters become invincible. It’s like every feature of this movie was made to annoy the audience. This film is pure torture from the first frame to the last.

Three — The editing. Whoever edited this film should be fired. His family should live with the shame of what he has done for generations to come. I can’t figure out if this was originally a Chinese film that has been adapted to English, or if they just couldn’t get enough English speaking actors. You see, most of the scenes are in English. Some, however, are clearly dubbed from Chinese. I can’t figure it out. The other problem is the obvious missing scenes. The film will just jump into a plotline, and it is very obvious that there should have been a scene right before it to set things up. This happened more than once, and was very irritating. However, I don’t know if it would have been better to have the scenes in there. Then, I would have sat through an even longer torture session.

Four — The special effects. I could have made better special effects on my Powerbook. This was obviously a low budget affair, but I have seen many low budget films that manage to look slick. This isn’t one of them. I wanted to beat my head on the seat in front of me every time one of these bad effects would pop up. Actually that was every fifteen seconds or so.

I’m not sure who the target audience for this film was. My only thought is that perhaps they were going for the kids. Of course, the two or three very obvious sex jokes in there are nothing I would ever let me kids watch. I’m not sure who I should write to protest this film. Maybe the President. Perhaps he can declare war on Jackie Chan. We can search his home for more weapons of mass destruction like “The Medallion.”

If you are considering going to see this film, please, take your dollars and do anything else with it. Make paper airplanes, and throw them out your window. Start the most expensive spitball fight in history. Use them to wipe your … um … nose. Do anything with your cash except seeing “The Medallion.” If I had actually paid money to get into this film I would be pretty depressed at this point. Instead, I’m just irritated that Jackie Chan stole eighty-nine precious minutes of my life. I could have spent that time with my wife and kids. Or I could have just poked myself in the eye for an hour and a half. That would have been more enjoyable.

Every print of this film should be burned, and everyone who worked on this film should be fired … and then forced to watch it multiple times.

Don’t ever, ever, ever, ever go see “The Medallion”: Zero out of Five.