1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

"The Maze" in 3D - a sneak peak

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Josh Steinberg, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Yesterday, 3D Film Archive maestro and HTF's own Bob Furmanek invited me to a visit for a preview of what the 3D Film Archive has been up to lately - namely, their restoration of The Maze. It's a film that I had heard about for years, but had never actually had a chance to see.

Bob was able to show me excerpts from about the first ten minutes of the film. For this new restoration, Bob and his team were given access to brand new 4K scans from the original camera negatives.

What I saw looked absolutely stunning. The image looked, for lack of a better word, perfect. The clarity of the image was amazing, showcasing amazing depth and separation in the clips that I viewed. There wasn't even the slightest hint of dirt, debris or damage in the footage I was shown.

I'm always excited whenever a new 3D Film Archive restoration is announced, but now that I've seen a peak of this one, I'm doubly excited.

For anyone who's seen the film before and has been patiently waiting for this restoration: trust me, it's worth the wait. And for any 3D fans who are thinking about making a blind buy for this title: after seeing a few minutes of it, I'm completely sold.

My thanks again to Bob Furmanek and Jack Theakston for their time and generosity in giving me this sneak preview!

2. aPhil

aPhil Supporting Actor

Phil Smoot
    My pre-order is in with Kino. Great to hear such good news as above.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I want to follow-up Josh's post above.

Last night Bob gave me a showing of the complete final disc master for THE MAZE via his Epson setup and I have to say it was a great 3-D experience. William Cameron Menzies' direction made maximum use of depth to enhance the environment (low angles, high angles, strategic actor blocking and camera movements, etc.), augmented by several startling out-of-screen effects. The image is near flawless, the cleanup, alignment, and matching of the scans might make this the best black & white 3-D presentation yet, from anybody.

The recreation of the 3 channel stereo sound is equally impressive - subtle when it needs to be, booming when it needs to be. If you liked how Cease Fire sounded, I think you'll be as impressed by the sound on The Maze. I look forward to hearing it on my big rig at home.

I'd seen the 35mm dual-strip print a few times, but this was my favorite presentation of the film to date, extremely enjoyable for 3-D and vintage horror/mystery fans. Another winner from the 3-D Film Archive.

4. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    As one of the relatively few people who have never seen THE MAZE, I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this.