What's new

The Maude Spinoff Story (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Now this would make a great DVD set. Following in the footsteps of my good friend, classictvfan, and suggesting things that have no chance of ever happening, This would be so interesting. Starting off with the 3-part series finale, Maude's Big Move, which has her going to Washington and becoming a congresswoman. Then when she bailed on the proposed series, a pilot was shot with John Amos called Onward and Upward, which never aired. When he left, the show morphed into Mr. Dugan, starring Cleavon Little. At least 3 episodes were taped but the show was pulled off the air at the last minute and it too never aired. I actually have promos for it on some shows I taped off the air a few days before. Finally, the show became Hanging In, starring Bill Macy and that lasted for 4 episodes. So all combined, it would be 11 episodes, depending on how many Mr. Dugans were actually produced. Now that would make an interesting DVD release!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would get a release of that for one reason only: Barbara Rhoades. Of course, that would be the only reason why I'd even get a release of "Busting Loose" if there was one!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
I would get a release of that for one reason only: Barbara Rhoades. Of course, that would be the only reason why I'd even get a release of "Busting Loose" if there was one!
That's an awfully good reason to buy any show! I would get Busting Loose for the exact same reason.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
She is the only reason why I got the release of "Quark" on DVD for her one guest shot.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
After Sony or its licensee releases all six seasons of Maude, I'm sure the collection you describe will be on the bonus disc, available only in the $200 complete series set. (Which will then be withdrawn for a year because Bea Arthur hums Chinatown, My Chinatown for four seconds in Part 1 of Maude's Big Move.)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'd be happy just to get the rest of Maude on DVD.
Funny how Miss Bea had a habit of quitting successful TV series.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'd like to see the rest of Maude first, but I actually think the Sony MOD program would be the only chance of ever seeing any of the short-lived Lear series again. I'd definitely be interested in giving Hot L Baltimore, All's Fair and The Powers That Be a look, not to mention the three Sanford and Son spinoffs (which could be bundled in a box set easily).

Fernwood 2Night also needs DVD attention. It'd be perfect for Shout!, but I suspect it's a music rights boondoggle (the first episode has a polka version of "Shake Your Booty," and I'm sure there are others.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
FanCollector said:
After Sony or its licensee releases all six seasons of Maude, I'm sure the collection you describe will be on the bonus disc, available only in the $200 complete series set. (Which will then be withdrawn for a year because Bea Arthur hums Chinatown, My Chinatown for four seconds in Part 1 of Maude's Big Move.)
Sadly, Shout Factory reported that they looked into continuing Maude but the music clearance issue would prevent them from releasing any further seasons.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Brian Himes /t/323061/the-maude-spinoff-story#post_3963035
Sadly, Shout Factory reported that they looked into continuing Maude but the music clearance issue would prevent them from releasing any further seasons.

God'll get the music industry for that, among other things.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The music industry is partly to blame here, of course, but so is the public in this case. The music in Maude isn't much more plentiful than in All in the Family, but because of the lower sales expectations, Shout decided it wasn't worth the clearance costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks