What's new

The Matrix: Quality of video question. Did I buy a knockoff? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I finally spent the cash and bought The Matrix DVD (impulse buy from a local dept store).

I've seen the movie a few times before, but I recently bought a wega, which has a much better picture. I now noticed that many of the darker sceens seem to be "grainy" or "noisy" and have generally inferior video quality. Was this intended and I'm seeing some funky filtering work? Or did I maybe buy a knockoff DVD or something? It's wierd, the intro and audio seem crystal clear, so I am wondering if this "effect" was intended to enhance the film somehow.

Any input appreciated.

--Steve

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Steve,

You didn't buy a knock off. The Matrix was filmed on Super 35mm stock. I'm almost certain that is the reason for its "graininess."

If I'm wrong, I know there are others here who know plenty more about this than I do.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
The Matrix was filmed on Super 35mm stock. I'm almost certain that is the reason for its "graininess."
Super-35 stock is not any more grainy than normal 35mm stock, and it has in fact higher horizontal resolution. Don't know about The Matrix in particular, but if they made the DVD transfer from a blow-up print, then *that's* most likely the reason for graininess...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I guess it should be asked since you just bought the TV:

Is it AVIA / VE or ISF calibrated? If not, your brightness and contrast (and sharpness) may be way too high and that's what you are seeing. Of course you'd also see it in most dark scenes of other DVDs, so if this is isolated to The Matrix, you may have indeed bought a knock-off. Though you say it's from a major dept. store, and they don't usually tread those dangerous waters...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
If brightness and contrast are off, you'd be able to tell the difference between the 2 sets of black bars (that is if you're playing this using the Wega's anamorphic squeeze). The inner set would look lighter.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I calibrated the set with VE. I've had the TV for about 2.5 months. I'm fairly confident it's not the TV. This was simply the first time I watched The Matrix on it. It's not horrendous or "unwatchable," but it certainly wasn't what I've come to expect from DVD's on this TV. Some scenes look good (Morpheus/Neo Matchup and some of the darker scenes inside Morpheus' ship), while others look noticibly worse (the first Morpheus/Neo meeting, with the red/blue pills). I thought I read something about there being a difference in the way the film was produced in order to show that one world was not "real", but I was unable to find it again before I posted here.

Thanks again for the input all.

--Steve

EDIT:

* I usually watch DVD's using the widescreen option.

* The DVD was bought at a local K-Mart.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've actually only demoed the Lobby/Roof scene on my Wega, so I couldn't confirm or deny the grainyness. If I have time I'll test it out later.

Brian_J

Second Unit
This is a typical complaint about this DVD but I believe the movie was intentionally made to look grainier in some scenes. There are scenes, however, that look stunning, such as the kung fu and the city scenes. Also, note the green tint to everything in The Matrix. More than one person has thought there shiny new RPTV to be screwed up and almost returned it!

Brian

Brian_J

Second Unit
You are in the wrong section by the way. This thread should be in the Software section.

Brian

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Observant.

Also, bear in mind that the greenish cast to the picture is intentional; that's the way the film was shot

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Super-35 stock is not any more grainy than normal 35mm stock, and it has in fact higher horizontal resolution. Don't know about The Matrix in particular, but if they made the DVD transfer from a blow-up print, then *that's* most likely the reason for graininess...
Well, not exactly. Since they have to extract the 2.35:1 widescreen image off the Super35 neg, they will be blowing up that portion and thus enhancing grain for the widescreen 35mm prints, and then in turn for the widescreen transfer to DVD.

The grain comes into play at the post production process stage. So this is very probably the cause of the grain on the DVD.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Something tells me that if Matrix were made today on DVD by Warner, it would look better. It seems that nearly all DVDs made prior to 2000 suffer from too many artifacts as compared to new releases today. Also, I wonder if all the extras would be better off on a second disc.

I mean Warner's latest new DVD releases just look amazing. I'm sure Matrix would too if it were made today.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I mean Warner's latest new DVD releases just look amazing. I'm sure Matrix would too if it were made today.
I think you're absolutely right.

For some serious artifacting, pause the first few seconds in chapter 29, the shot of Neo from behind going through the metal detector. Ouch!

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Thanks all for the feedback. At least I'm not gonna worry about it any longer now that I know some other's have picked up on this. As far as posting in the wrong forum.....:b oops. I'm used to posting on the audio side of things, but thanks for pointing it out.

--Steve

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

DPs have to use high-speed film for dark scenes in order to capture a useable image - unfortunately, the side-effect is that you get more grain with faster film. A lot of movies will exhibit this phenomenon (i.e. no grain in bright shots, grain in darker shots), so there is nothing wrong with your DVD. Most likely your WEGA is just showing you more detail than you are used to seeing - that's a good thing, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks