What's new

THE MATRIX...new 2-disc SE info + ANIMATRIX (1 Viewer)

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Figures...finally picked up The Matrix on DVD just last week and now they go and announce a special edition (though it was previously viewed at Blockbuster for only $6.99). I'd be excited, as many have already said, if this was a new transfer. As is, I think I'll just go with The Matrix Revisited and The Animatrix separately.

For what it's worth, the two-disc R1 release of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was in a double-Alpha case (I recently scanned the cover and coverted it to a double-Amaray style case). Though the fact that it's produced by BBC and only distributed in the US/Canada by Warner might have something to do with that.

For those who hate the snapper, I really like this cover: http://www.dvdcoverart.com/dvdcovera...tem.php?id=558 (that's what's sitting on my shelf now).

Dave C

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Hi, i'm one of the producers, here's the specs.. :)

DVD ELEMENTS

DISC ONE - ORIGINAL DVD FEATURE FILM

-- Commentary by star Carrie-Anne Moss, visual effects supervisor
John Gaeta and editor Zach Staenberg

-- "Making the Matrix": 26 eye-opening minutes of
behind-the-scenes insight

-- Music-only track with commentary by composer Don Davis

-- "Follow the White Rabbit": Interactive feature jumps from a
scene to a featurette on the effects that shaped the scene;
nine "White Rabbit" featurettes in all

-- Take the Red Pill to two hidden special effects documentaries:
"What Is the Concept?", a dazzling musical-montage journey
from sketch to final effect; and "What Is Bullet Time?", the
anatomy of the trailblazing technique

-- Filmographies

-- Widescreen presentation

-- Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio

-- DVD/ROM features galore:

-- Interactive screenplay - read the script as you view
comparative storyboards, stills and clips

-- "Are You the One?" interactive challenge

-- Seven special genre essays and articles - "From Strip to
Screen" explores comic books on film; martial-arts movie
featurette "Everybody Loves Kung-Fu Fighting!"; a sci-fi
film retrospective and more

-- Link to original theatrical website

DISC TWO - ORIGINAL "MATRIX REVISITED" DVD PLUS NEW BONUS
MATERIALS

-- "Preload: On the Set of Reloaded": Exclusive behind-the-scenes
preview of the May 15 theatrical release "The Matrix Reloaded"

-- Two mind-blowing episodes from "The Animatrix: The Second
Renaissance, Parts 1&2"

-- Marilyn Manson music video - "Rock is Dead"

-- "What is the game?": teaser for the new "Enter the Matrix"
videogame

-- Thematrix.com: theatrical website preview

-- "The Matrix Revisited": the complete, behind-the-scenes
two-hour companion piece to "The Matrix" phenomenon

-- Six behind-the-scenes featurettes on "The Matrix"

-- The Music Revisited: sample up to three hours worth of
audio music tracks of the music from the world of "The
Matrix"

-- The Art Revisited: multiple stills galleries with over 800
images

-- "The Animatrix" preview

-- Theatrical trailers/teasers/TV spots

TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITION BASICS
Price: $27.95 SRP
Street Date: April 29
Languages & Subtitles: ENG (5.1)
Running time: 136 mins.
Rating: R (for Sci-Fi Violence & Brief Language)
DLBY/DGTL (CC)

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
If nothing is done to improve the transfer & especially audio, count me out. The original discs DD soundtrack was at 384kbps and sounds awfully thin and harsh, especially in comparison to the LD. The only aspect of a release that will gladly make me double-dip is improved presentation of the feature. I could care less about extras. A film like The Matrix deserves better, and I really wish Warner would revise their policy on DTS... now that Paramount has annouced DTS support, Warner is one of the only studios left who refuse to support it, surely that means there is a market for it?

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
Glad I never bought Revisited. I was waiting for the Trilogy Set as it was. The obvious incentive to buying this re-issue in May is the movie ticket. It doesn't feel like you are throwing your money away as much. Hopefully this won't be a snapper case.

DTS would have put it over the top. Hopefully they are saving that for the Trilogy Box.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
So the bit of new material on disc 2 is simply this:

-- "Preload: On the Set of Reloaded": Exclusive behind-the-scenes preview of the May 15 theatrical release "The Matrix Reloaded"

-- Two mind-blowing episodes from "The Animatrix: The Second Renaissance, Parts 1&2"

-- Marilyn Manson music video - "Rock is Dead"

-- "What is the game?": teaser for the new "Enter the Matrix" videogame

-- "The Animatrix" preview

...correct? Hm. Looks like a good deal for anyone who doesn't have the Matrix yet, but that's about it.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The Matrix is my most played dvd, and must be getting a little worn by now, I don't mind getting a brand new copy of it, its only money.
The Animatrix dvd is a must have, forget the Hulk and T3, the Wachowski's own 2003.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
It's really a shame there's not more extra material on this set (like maybe a new commentary, with the Wachowskis and others, and also DTS); it's basically the original Matrix DVD and Revisited plus a few little featurettes. Since I already own the aforementioned DVDs, there's no way I'll be buying this.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I am not double-dipping for this. I don't have Revisited, nor do I really want it. It is just a simple repackaging of the first disc. I will buy Animatrix, though.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would only buy if it were a new transfer or at least the same transfer compressed better to eliminate those artifacts.

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
wouldn't it make more sense to screen it before the Matrix Revolutions film?
Not in the studio's eyes. Nobody is going to say "hmm, I never heard of that movie, but I guess I'll go see it because of the Animatrix short" if it was attached to Reloaded, but they just might do that if it was attached to Dreamcatcher.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Me too I don't have The Matrix. I saw it in theaters, rented it once then borrowed it from someone and watched it a few times so that killed the desire of buying it. That was in Sep/Oct 2000 right after I got my first 5.1 System.. Needed something to test it with!

But now, with the new movies, I'll want to watch it again, so yes I'll buy it.

But I still wish they'd "Pull a Twister" on that one... English/French DD5.1 448kbps and English DTS (ES if you want) 1509kbps! No Extras whatsoever on the movie disk and all the extras that were on the existing disk on a 2nd disk. So maybe that'd bring the disk count to 3 with that new disk with the Revisited and Preload/Animatrix stuff.

I compare Warner's refusal to support DTS on DVDs to some Portable Music Player manufacturer's refusal to support the OGG format on their units -> Lost Sales! Ok, so I will still buy that new Matrix DVD since I don't have the old one, but I can understand why everyone else who already have the original won't double-dip, even myself, the only 2 times I've Double-Dipped (Crouching Tiger SuperBits and LOTR EE) were in big part due to the DTS track.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
blah!

i'll wait for the inevitable box set.

but animatrix sounds pretty appealing...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
No new/better transfer and well mastered DTS track (they could have had Mi Casa remix this to ES 6.1 like they allow New Line to do)... no sale AOL Time Warner!

Dan

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
-- The Music Revisited: sample up to three hours worth of
audio music tracks of the music from the world of "The
Matrix"

-- The Art Revisited: multiple stills galleries with over 800
images
I know the music tracks were included somewhat hidden as Easter Egg in THE MATRIX REVISITED, but that art gallery IS new, isn't it?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The original discs DD soundtrack was at 384kbps and sounds awfully thin and harsh, especially in comparison to the LD.
Which was also at 384kb/ps. Whatever the reason for the difference between the LD and the DVD, it isn't the bitrate.

M.

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't The Matrix DVD the highest selling DVD ever? Or at least in the top 3???

Even with the gazillion dollars WB has made off this release (which was a great disc when it was originally released) surely it deserves the financial backing from Warner's for a new transfer and DTS mix???

This is THE perfect movie begging for a DTS mix and reference transfer!!!

Really just sums up Warner Bros. if you ask me...:angry:

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I second what Dean Walsh said above about Warner being the last studio to support DTS on DVD. Warner has such a great catalog of movies, especially the last couple of years, not to mention The Matrix, and would benefit from a dTS track.

c'mon, Warner, Jump on board the DTs wagon and start including dts on your DVD's ..... P LEEZE!!

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I still remember the Twister and Interview with A Vampire DTS releases a few years back...

I don't recall many others. To be fair, it was a much different market back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks