What's new

THE MATRIX...new 2-disc SE info + ANIMATRIX (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
JAN. 29 | Warner Home Video jumpstarted its Matrix momentum on Wednesday with announcements for the April 29 release of a special edition DVD and the June 3 release of Animatrix, a DVD featuring shorts from nine top anime directors inspired by the film.

The double-disc special edition DVD of The Matrix hits stores in time for the May 15 theatrical release of The Matrix Reloaded. Prebook is April 1. The DVD is priced at $27.95.

The DVD set includes commentary by actress Carrie-Anne Moss, visual effects supervisor John Gaeta and editor Zach Staenberg; a 26-minute documentary Making the Matrix; a music-only track with commentary; nine Follow the White Rabbit interactive feature jumps; Take the Red Pill hidden special effects documentaries; a musical montage; and an anatomy of Bullet Time.

The DVD-ROM includes an interactive screenplay, an Are You the One challenge; and seven genre essays and articles on the movie.

The second disc includes Preload: On the Set of Reloaded; episodes 1&2 of The Animatrix: The Second Renaissance; a Marilyn Manson music video; a What Is the Game teaser for the new Enter The Matrix videogame from Infogrames; the previously released two-hour The Matrix Revisited with six featurettes; a sample of music from Reloaded; and an Animatrix preview.

The DVD also includes a free ticket offer to The Matrix Reloaded.

The Animatrix (prebook is May 6) is priced at $24.98 on DVD and $19.98 on VHS. It includes nine short anime films conceived by the Wachowski brothers, the creators of The Matrix. The series delves into the world of the Matrix and its characters and is directed by world-renowned anime directors such as Yoshiaki Kawajiri, Koji Morimoto, Mahiro Maeda, Takeshi Koike, Peter Chung and Andy Jones.

"The Animatrix is certain to become the genre-defining standard by which all other anime films are judged," said Mike Saksa, VP of U.S. marketing for Warner.

Animatrix episode The Final Flight of the Osiris, a prelude to Reloaded, will play in theaters before Warner Bros.' Dreamcatcher, which opens March 21.

The DVD soundtrack features techno music by Juno Reactor, Death in Vegas, DJ Shadow and more.

The Animatrix falls between Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, the third film in the series that debuts in theaters in November.

On Tuesday night, Warner is expected to announce details surrounding videogame Enter the Matrix during an event on the lot.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I was kind of hoping all the shorts would be released in one set. I guess not. :frowning:

EricW

Senior HTF Member
damn... sounds like a repackaging of the original disc. i was just thinking how nice it would be if they'd do a new transfer.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Is the commentary new? And those featurettes, not concerning a new sneak preview for Reloaded, do we need them, I thought everything was covered in that second special features disc that was released earlier.
I'll still buy it I think, plus the free movie ticket, that's $9.50 right there.
Maybe the first 2 animatrix shorts are included as a sample and they will be on the Animatrix DVD as well?
It's cool how they will show one of them before Dreamcatcher, I've been waiting for that movie for a long time, and now there is also that incentive, and then the DVD with a first part and a sneak preview, then the second part, then Animatrix in between, and a 3rd part in theaters, it's gona be a Matrix year. Poor T3. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I was planning on seeing Dreamcatcher, having "The final flight of the Osiris" as a short in front of it (hopefully in Canada as well) has just cemented the deal. Although wouldn't it make more sense to screen it before the Matrix Revolutions film?

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
The commentary participants are the same as on the previous release, so it must be the same thing. The movie disc itself sounds identical to the previous release.

If the second disc doesn't have the original Matrix trailer on it, I'll be officially pissed. It's not on this list, but it damn well better be on the disc.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I initially thought that the Animatrix was going to be a prequel to the entire series - like "Rise of the Machines" is to the Terminator. Well, I guess not! I think it's a little lousy that they are going to recycle the movie disc, beacuse 1) The commentary is dull, and 2) It doesn't have the trailer on it. I might add this to my collection if I can afford it! :)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I won't be rebuying the Matrix SE. I already have Revisited and the original Matrix release. There's no need to double dip in this case. I will, however, be buying the Animatrix.

I initially thought that the Animatrix was going to be a prequel to the entire series - like "Rise of the Machines" is to the Terminator.
T3 comes after T2 hence the fact that Jon Connor is more grown up than he is in T2.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
This seems clearly a reissue without (any?) new useful content.

That's okay, got two fresh Matrix flicks coming down the pike.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Yeah wil skip on this since I got the Matrix and revisited.
The only thing new in this set is the Preload stuff, and the maovie comes out three weeks after, so I will wait.
DTS ( ES? ) new commentary by the brothers and deleted scenes could make me change my mind though...

Benjamin_M

Grip
Any word on the packaging of this new SE? I hope to god that they don't package it in the same type of box that the original movie came in! What are those things called anyway? If the packaging is cool and since it has the move and all the extras packaged together I will probably sell or give the original away and pick this new one up. When Reloaded and Revelations come out on DVD they will probably (they better!)have the same packaging as this Matrix release so that the whole set will look good sitting next to each other in my DVD collection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks