What's new

The Matrix Resurrections (2021) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
On a side note, he also says he didn't do Infinity War and Endgame because Marvel offered him less money than he got for The First Avenger. Considering that Red Skull was the main villain of The First Avenger, but ended up having one scene each in Infinity War and Endgame, I have to say I don't really blame Marvel for not paying him the same. It would have been nice to see him back for consistency, but he would have done significantly less work in those films if he had agreed to be in them.

Well, whether it's true or not, Weaving maintains that he signed on for three films with Marvel, and that his contract stated that the paycheck would increase with each movie. If that's the case, I guess you can't blame him for saying no.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If that's the case, I guess you can't blame him for saying no.

I don't blame him for saying no. That's entirely his prerogative. But I also don't blame Marvel for wanting to pay him less for a less significant role. If the Red Skull had been in the same amount of Avengers as he was in the first Captain America, then an increase in pay would have been justified. For the amount of time they actually used that character, I think offering less was reasonable. In any case, Ross Marquand did a good job in the role and the transition was about as seamless as possible, so it worked out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I recall Weaving saying, after the release of First Avenger, that he had no desire to return to the role because the makeup was more intense than he had been led to believe, and that the role didn't give him as much range as he had hoped for. It sounded like he didn't have any ill will but was happy to be "one and done."

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In any case, it will be kind of weird to have a Matrix film without Weaving in it. Scheduling conflicts are understandable but a bit of a bummer. The film is currently sharing a release date with John Wick 4, and I just can't see a scenario in which both of those films actually stick to the same date. It would be nice if a delay in the Matrix release date prompted them to be able to get Weaving in there after the end of his play, but that's probably wishful thinking that won't actually happen.

We've heard that they're bringing back Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Ann Moss, who if I recall correctly both died in the end of Revolutions. But no one has said anything about Laurence Fishburne, who (again if I recall correctly) actually survived the third installment.

Soc79

Auditioning
Real Name
NoNeed ToTell
The first Matrix film was groundbreaking at the time, completely new and absolutely exciting. 2nd and 3rd went kind of too commercial but still had the "WOW" factor.

I'm really excited about a 4th one, but I fear they will go the same route as so many lately: Retell the same story with a female lead, just because that seems like feminism (hello, Terminator). If they stick to their guns and don't cave to the PC agenda, and come up with new "WOW" factors - which will be hard in itself, given how advanced the standard CGI has become already - then it'll be great.

Fingers crossed!!

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I was never WOW'd by the sequels. I thought they were over the top and way to convoluted for their own good. Even for the time, some of the CGI was subpar, like flying Neo and all the cartoon looking CGI doubles in the burly brawl.

I love the first movie, it's a sci-fi classic.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Two bits of news today, and I think Deadline is burying the lead.

Their headline is about Brian J. Smith (another alum of Sense8 with the Wachowskis) joining the cast of the sequel.

But further down in the article, and drawing no special attention to itself, is the statement that The Matrix 4 will now hit theaters on March 5, 2021.

The original announced release date in May would have put it up against John Wick 4, so I figured sooner or later one of them had to relocate. Warner Bros. was smart to do this, and it means that we have just about 54 weeks to wait until we see how this movie turns out.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/matrix-4-sense-8-brian-j-smith-joins-cast-1202864644/

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does this have any chance of being good? Seems like it’s time has passed. Hope I’m wrong.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anything’s possible.

But I also kinda think it could wind up being a “Terminator Dark Fate” thing where in and of itself it’s not that bad but is so late to the party with ideas already done by others that it’s just not that compelling through no fault of its own.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Given the string of bombs from the Wachowskis (Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending), I'd imagine this is one of the only projects they could get off the ground.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Does this have any chance of being good? Seems like it’s time has passed. Hope I’m wrong.
I still want to see anything the Wachowskis do because while I've disliked some of their work, they've done enough good stuff that I'll keep giving them a chance. That being said, I agree with Josh and Malcolm that I'm not sure that the public is that interested in this movie and the Wachowskis have had a string of flops that probably make it hard for them to get any other big budget movie going.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Given the string of bombs from the Wachowskis (Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending), I'd imagine this is one of the only projects they could get off the ground.

Loved Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas.

Jupiter, not so much.

The world premiere of Cloud Atlas especially was a fond memory for me - on my birthday at TIFF. Was so amazing seeing everyone all at the same place and in person.

As for Matrix 4 - looking forward to seeing what ideas they come up with.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t like most of what they’ve made when all is said and done, but I’ve also never been bored watching one of their projects and that counts for a lot in my book.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don’t like most of what they’ve made when all is said and done, but I’ve also never been bored watching one of their projects and that counts for a lot in my book.
Yeah, my favorite Wachowski movies are Bound, Speed Racer and Jupiter Rising (I think that movie is misinterpreted as being a sci-fi/action movie and they deliberately made a campy near parody of that kind of movie) but even movies that I hate like The Matrix sequels are still bold movies with their vision on screen which is more than you can say about a lot of the big budget franchise movies that are made now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks