What's new

The Matrix Resurrections (2021) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It was great watching Bound again on the big screen during last year's Ebertfest with both Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly in attendance. Actually bumped into Gershon all by herself at the theater's concession stand while getting a popcorn-refill (she was grabbing something else), and we both shared some chuckles about the film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, my favorite Wachowski movies are Bound, Speed Racer and Jupiter Rising (I think that movie is misinterpreted as being a sci-fi/action movie and they deliberately made a campy near parody of that kind of movie) but even movies that I hate like The Matrix sequels are still bold movies with their vision on screen which is more than you can say about a lot of the big budget franchise movies that are made now.

I own Jupiter Rising in 3D - I don’t know what Eddie Redmayne is doing but I can’t look away. He steals that movie.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, my favorite Wachowski movies are Bound, Speed Racer and Jupiter Rising (I think that movie is misinterpreted as being a sci-fi/action movie and they deliberately made a campy near parody of that kind of movie) but even movies that I hate like The Matrix sequels are still bold movies with their vision on screen which is more than you can say about a lot of the big budget franchise movies that are made now.

I keep forgetting that Bound was a Wachowski affair. Great film.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I sort-of-liked The Matrix when it was new because of the action (and I was 13), but I seriously didn’t understand the point of it so much. The sequels perplexed me even more. Have no interest in re-watching them nor another sequel.

Speed Racer was awesome though. I really need to watch that again soon.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It was great watching Bound again on the big screen during last year's Ebertfest with both Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly in attendance. Actually bumped into Gershon all by herself at the theater's concession stand while getting a popcorn-refill (she was grabbing something else), and we both shared some chuckles about the film.
I watched Bound once, years ago, and the only thing I remember about the film is the camera shot of the telephone cord from the wall to the phone- the camera follows the cord through a twist in the cord. Funny shot!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Other than the original Matrix, my favorite Wachowski film is V for Vendetta, followed by Bound and the Matrix sequels. I absolutely LOATHE Jupiter Rising, one of the worst big budget movies ever made IMO. Didn't much care for Cloud Atlas either. With their track record, I'm not expecting much from this new Matrix film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not expecting much from this new Matrix film.

I think that might be the key to actually liking it. The first two sequels set such a low bar, and I'm so skeptical of another one, that they have a lot of latitude here to surprise me with something that is better than what I think it will be.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The cast has signed 8-week extensions to their contracts amid the coronavirus, and WB hopes to resume shooting in July.

Good luck with that. I really don't think filming will be safe to resume that quickly. I'd love to be wrong.

I think it may be possible for a lot of productions to resume in that timeframe if they take precautions and take them seriously. I haven’t been thrilled about it, but I‘ve been continuing to work since this started. My company manufactures influenza (and other) vaccines so it is an essential business. Everyone is required to wear masks and everyone tries to stay 6 feet apart, though that is difficult in an environment when you are working collaboratively with others. They also do temperature screenings for everyone entering the site, though that has minimal (if any) benefit. We have roughly one thousand employees still working onsite (with another approximately two thousand working from home) and I think there have been something like 7 cases so far, with no multiple case clusters from people working together (yet).

To be honest, even with all that I still don’t feel comfortable. I’ve been a ball of freaking stress for over two months now. Every day I’m 110% “on” as far as wearing a mask (and making sure others are wearing theirs), being paranoid about everything I touch and constantly washing my hands (and then washing them again), disinfecting my works areas (and then disinfecting them again, and again), and trying to maintain a six foot distance from everyone. It’s exhausting, and not everyone is on the same page with how strictly they follow these precautions. So it’s all extremely stressful. Then I go home to a house I currently share with older parents and I have to constantly assume that I am infected so I have to keep interactions to an absolute bare minimum always at least 6 feet or more away, wear a mask in my own home, wipe down everything I touch, and basically go through a freaking cleansing ritual every time I’m I need to venture onto the the story of the house where they live. Just pure exhaustion and stress.

Anyway, one way that I think a lot of that stress (and risk) could be reduced is if my workplace had the ability to actually test employees weekly or better daily with 15 minute results. I think if you can do that, and still practice distancing and wear masks, the risk of being at a particular work place would be quite low. Unfortunately, we just aren’t there with the availability of testing.

For television and film productions, I think there is potential to work relatively “safely”. However, since these aren’t “essential” jobs the bar should be much higher for resuming work. My suggestion would be that testing would have to be performed on a regular basis. If the production studio doesn’t have access to their own rapid testing unit (and test kits) and have a nursing staff to administer the tests then don‘t bother. You’re play acting for entertainment. Don’t bother if you can’t do that. So test EVERYONE involved with the production on at least a weekly basis. Actors who will have to work closely with others without masks have to tested daily. Makeup and hair people (and anyone else who has to interact closely with others) have to get tested daily. EVERYONE who isn’t in front of a shooting camera has to wear masks all the time. People cannot congregate for lunch breaks because you can’t wear your masks when you eat. And, obviously, you would treat the sets as though you were shooting a nude scene of a sex scene in a normal production. Closed sets. The only people allowed on set are those who absolutely have to be there.

So the availability of testing is key. If they can test on a regular basis while still practicing mask wearing and distancing I think lots of these productions can resume. Don’t know how realistic it is for a studio to be able to get the access to that kind of testing. But if they could, then that would make a huge difference. Distancing practices without testing is not enough. For “essential” work, sure what else are you going to do? It’s essential. Needs to get done. Movies? Nope. You want people to risk their lives and the lives of their loved ones to come and do a job before there is a vaccine or a knockout therapeutic? Then test. Test, test, test.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ever since this was announced, I've been wondering about Laurence Fishburne returning as Morpheus, and now we know why he has not been mentioned. He says he was not asked to be in it.

Laurence Fishburne said:
“I have not been invited [to return]. Maybe that will make me write another play. I wish them well. I hope it’s great.”

More at the link: https://www.superherohype.com/movie...ays-he-wasnt-asked-to-return-for-the-matrix-4

Potential spoilers for a 17-year-old movie here: I admit that I have not seen The Matrix Revolutions in several years, but my vague recollection is that Neo and Trinity both die, but Morpheus is the only one of the three who survives that film. Does anyone remember more clearly than me? If I am right -- which I very well might not be -- it seems weird that the only one you wouldn't ask back is the one who actually survived. Even if he did die, that's not stopping Reeves and Moss from returning. Their camaraderie and chemistry as a group is the thing I remember most fondly about The Matrix, so it's unfortunate that he won't be in the new one.

Having him not be in it is almost as bad as when Pirates of the Caribbean 5 brought back Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley for cameos without ever having either of them interact with Johnny Depp. As a fan, if I'm going to entertain the idea of another one of these, what I would most want to see is the original cast back together on screen again.

Last edited:

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Like several people in this thread, I'm not sure what to think about a fourth movie. I can say that I'm quite a bit disappointed knowing that Fishburne and Weaving won't be in this sequel. Fishburne's role as Morpheus added lots of gravitas to the first film and he was so important to the plot. I'm a big fan of Laurence Fishburne.

As it's often pointed out, a hero is only as good as the villain (I fully believe in that) and Weaving was a great villain throughout all three films. If it were me making this film, I would have waited until Weaving was available.

Ultimately, I don't anticipate this film being any better than the previous two films. The first film is one of my ATF movies and the sequels were big letdowns for me. Regardless, I will give this movie a chance and hope for the best.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Hollywood Reporter said:
Dropping by mainly to promote the newly released Bill & Ted Face the Music, Reeves, who happens to turn 56 on Wednesday, said he was impressed with the Matrix project, which reunites him with writer-director Lana Wachowski. The actor says she has "created a beautiful story and a beautiful script." He added, "And I am really grateful to be here and be a part of this story."

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I'd prefer The Matrix Rebooted but "Reboot" is a profane word for fandom so "Resurrection" does seems likely.

No, "Reboots" are what studios do, and Matrix Reboots (or "Resurrections", to use the Fox/Aliens coined term) are what WARNER does.
They're going through their 80's-90's list for The Next Big Warner Franchise to fill Harry and Frodo's empty shoes (after Harley Quinn was just voted off the island), and still no word on that "Young Willy Wonka" movie as of yet.

And yes, we're also supposedly getting one more Robert Downey Jr. "Sherlock Holmes", but the early fan-insider teases of "Space Jam 2"?...Oyy. You would not believe me if I told you. :eek:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wish. If this film is as good or better than Toy Story 4, that would be a straight-up miracle and would be so far above the last two Matrix films that the comparison would be almost laughable.
I think if it was as good as TS4, it would also be better than the original Matrix.

I'm just hoping that this movie is better than Jupiter Ascending. ;)
If they Just filmed Neo taking a shit it would be better than Jupiter Ascending!;)
You guys are missing out on a deliberately campy and over the top movie. I know alot of times you'll see someone make a bad movie that makes people laugh and then try to say "No, no, it was designed to be tongue in cheek" but I think the Wachowskis actually set out to make a crazy movie and accomplished that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks