What's new

The Masters in HD??? (1 Viewer)

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if CBS will be broadcasting the Masters in HD? I can only imagine seeing Augusta National perfectly!!

How about other PGA tournaments? Does anyone know of the networks plans to broadcast in HD?

Thanks,

Pete

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I think it was in HD last year. Pretty sure I remember CBS saying over and over it was brought to you in HD.

At least at one of the tournaments a friend was telling me that the HD picture was so great he could read the number on the ball. Of course an exageration, but I know one of the majors was in HD.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Since CBS has broadcast the last two Masters in HD, I would fully expect the same this year. The biggest disappointment regarding last year's telecast was that they used a completely separate production and announcing team. The announcing team was three guys commenting on the action for all holes from a central location. There was no crowd noise or atmosphere to the telecast -- they may as well have been doing the commentary from their living rooms.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator

A Cut and Paste from CBS

March 6, 2003

AUGUSTA NATIONAL GOLF CLUB AND CBS SPORTS
TO PRESENT 18-HOLE COVERAGE OF 2003 MASTERS ® IN HDTV FOR FIRST TIME IN LARGEST HIGH DEFINITION PRODUCTION EVER

For the first time, the standard analog and HDTV productions of the 2003 Masters Tournament will be unified and will provide 18-hole coverage in HDTV's highest definition format, it was announced today by Augusta National Golf Club and CBS Sports.

In the largest HDTV production ever, CBS Sports will utilize 42 high definition cameras and 10 hand-held 16x9 standard definition cameras. The unified productions will be produced in HDTV's highest definition format, 1080i, and downconverted for the CBS Television Network's analog broadcast. This production technique also produces a better quality analog picture. Whether watching in widescreen HD or traditional 4x3 analog, viewers hear the same golf announcers and see the same camera angles, replays and graphics.

The 2000 Masters was the first golf tournament presented live in HDTV on network television, and it is still the only major tournament broadcast in high definition.

CBS Sports will broadcast the 2003 Masters on the CBS Television HD Network on Thursday, April 10 and Friday, April 11 (4:00-6:30 PM, ET, each day) and Saturday, April 12 (3:30-6:30 PM, ET) and Sunday, April 13 (2:30-7:00 PM, ET) live from Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Ga. The third and final rounds of the Masters will be broadcast simultaneously in standard definition by CBS Sports on the analog CBS Television Network.

"We are happy to be working with CBS to provide another first in television coverage," said Hootie Johnson, Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club and the Masters Tournament. "This year's Masters will be outstanding with the top players in the world competing and Tiger going for an unprecedented three wins in a row. We are proud to bring this year's event to our many fans in HDTV's highest definition format."

“We are very pleased to take the high definition experience to a new level at the Masters and Augusta National Golf Club," said Sean McManus, President, CBS Sports. "The HDTV pictures of all 18 holes will further enhance the experience for viewers of the most renowned tournament in golf and one of the most spectacular venues in the world."

(More)

CBS Television Network…2

Beginning in 1993 the Masters experimented with HDTV on a limited basis to discover how the new system could improve the presentation of the tournament to the television audience. The 2003 Masters broadcast will be presented in the highest form of HDTV with 1080 lines of resolution and over two million picture elements which makes it six times sharper than standard definition television.

One hundred and thirty one of CBS's owned and affiliated stations are currently broadcasting in digital, covering approximately 88% of the nation. By the end of 2003, CBS expects to be transmitting digital programming across more than 200 owned and affiliated stations, reaching well over 98% of the country.

The CBS Television Network will broadcast the Masters Tournament for the 48th consecutive year, the longest-running annual sports event presented on one network. In addition to the HD coverage, CBS Sports will broadcast live third-and final-round coverage on Saturday, April 12 (3:30-6:30 PM, ET) and Sunday, April 13 (2:30-7:00 PM, ET) on the CBS Television Network. Highlights of early-round play will be presented by CBS Sports on Thursday, April 10 and Friday, April 11 (11:35-11:50 PM, ET, both nights).

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
That is awesome news. I heard they are doing the same thing for March Madness games that will be in HD. Same cameras, same announcers.

Makes me glad I just got my Hitachi :)

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
I am a Master's freak, and will be watching every HD second. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

.....maybe the protests will be in HD too :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For the first time, the standard analog and HDTV productions of the 2003 Masters Tournament will be unified and will provide 18-hole coverage in HDTV's highest definition format, it was announced today by Augusta National Golf Club and CBS Sports.
This is great news. No more inferior production and annoucing team for the HD broadcast!

Dudes,

I bought my DST-3000 last year JUST FOR the Masters, and was more than a little disappointed with the broadcast. (but NOT with the picture)
Since then, I've upgraded from a 50" Tosh non-widescreen to a Mitsubishi WS-65869....I'm taking vacation days to watch the masters. This is awesome news. Thanks for passing it along.

Kevin in Cincy

P.S. Last year I also put an antenna on the roof of my condo for local hi-def...(the idea was to put it in the attic, until the signal wouldn't come in)...just so happened I was President of the HOA where I live....
(but that's a story for another day...) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks