What's new

The Masters 2010 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

Considering that he missed the ensuing eagle putt, I doubt this was the reason for his win. As Robert said, Mickelson won because he did not make any mistakes that cost him bogeys.

That was an amazing shot on 13, but it was also a huge gamble. A few yards shorter (which was very possible out of the trees and pine straw), and that shot is in the creek and Mickelson probably loses the tournament. I'm not sure the risk was worth it, although Lefty pulled it off this time.
Even the AJC call it a bold shot in the mini-headline in the sports page. The reason he goes for it is because he needed to make birdie on 13, which he did. That he missed the eagle putt was a bummer, but if he lays up and ends up with a par, the pressure for the remaining holes tightens up for him. But going for it on 13, and making a birdie changes the strategy for the remaining 5 holes for Phil. And sure, no guts, no glory, Phil could have easily left the shot short and in the drink, but that's what makes the shot even more treacherous given the 2nd shot conditions.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Even the AJC call it a bold shot in the mini-headline in the sports page. The reason he goes for it is because he needed to make birdie on 13, which he did. That he missed the eagle putt was a bummer, but if he lays up and ends up with a par, the pressure for the remaining holes tightens up for him. But going for it on 13, and making a birdie changes the strategy for the remaining 5 holes for Phil. And sure, no guts, no glory, Phil could have easily left the shot short and in the drink, but that's what makes the shot even more treacherous given the 2nd shot conditions.
Lee Westwood was in the same position as Phil, decided to layup, taking the creek out of play, and recorded a birdie to equal Mickelson's score on the hole without risking a bogey or worse. If Mickelson lays up, he can pick his remaining yardage and have a wedge into the green. Lefty is one of the premiere wedge players in the game, so he would have been playing to his strength.

As I said, it was a bold and exciting shot, but I still do not believe it was the proper play in that situation. Of course, Mickelson's nature is to play the aggressive shot instead of backing off in those situations. It certainly has cost him in other majors, but kudos for pulling off the shot this time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was shocked he went for it, but he did, and it also got him psyched up for the home stretch. Was it the proper play, probably not. But the guy is ridiculously talented, and sometimes, it's better to be lucky than simply good. I still think it was his turning point where it put the end in sight and Westwood became the guy who was running out of holes given Phil's intial tee shot on 13 creating a slight opening to gain a stroke on Phil.

At least Phil had enough of a lead to play the 3-wood on 18th tee. Otherwise, his driver might have gotten him in trouble with just a 1-stroke lead after 71 holes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc

I am THRILLED that the scumbag, otherwise known as "Tiger" didn't win.
He might be a scumbag that shouldn't be married, but he will win again and win often.

The day he got married, I told a friend of mine that he was making a mistake because I felt the only thing that can hold him back in his golf career was injury and getting married. Of course, I didn't have any idea that he liked the ladies so much which is another reason why it was a mistake to get married.

Crawdaddy

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

He might be a scumbag that shouldn't be married, but he will win again and win often.
Putting aside my feelings on Tiger's off the course actions, I have to agree with Robert on this. Consider that Tiger, after being away from competitive golf for many months, finished fourth in a major in which he played poorly by his standards. Anyone who thinks he will not return to form on the course is just kidding himself.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
As I mentioned in a post earlier - people who are gifted in an area are often poor in another area. I also feel that problems like Tiger with his wife go on all the time by other people and you never know about it because they are not famous. I also feel that with marriage problems - both sides are usually at fault. Some of my friends seem to indicate that they don't care about something that happens in one's private life

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Sumnernor

As I mentioned in a post earlier - people who are gifted in an area are often poor in another area. I also feel that problems like Tiger with his wife go on all the time by other people and you never know about it because they are not famous. I also feel that with marriage problems - both sides are usually at fault. Some of my friends seem to indicate that they don't care about something that happens in one's private life
Listen, I'm as big of a Tiger Woods fan as you can find, but with what he did with so many different women, I have a hard time blaming his wife, even if his sex life with her is not satisfying him. Furthermore, the class of women he messed around with gives me cause to question his judgement. If you sleep with dogs, you're going to get some fleas. A man in his position with corporate sponsers/partnerships can't afford such a lack of good judgement nor being infected with such fleas.:)

Crawdaddy

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton ), and this was the first time that I had noticed a major sporting event NOT making sure that all onscreen graphics were 4:3 safe!
I've noticed the same thing on shows like SNL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks