What's new

The Master, Merged TRUE LIES reissue thread: When, oh when? (1 Viewer)

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
John, have you considered purchasing a D-VHS player? True Lies is coming out this month on D-VHS (with a full bit rate DTS track if your interested). I also have been waiting an anomorphic version on dvd. Once I heard of the D-VHS announcement last month, I couldn't care less about the dvd anymore.

You should be able to pick one up online at a great price.

Chris

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
With the recent announcement that the DVD Forum has agreed on a new HD-DVD format, I wouldn't consider D-VHS for half a second. I'd be perfectly happy with an anamorphic DVD re-release to satisfy me for a few more years until the HD-DVD version comes along.

Miles

Second Unit
I'm going for the D-VHS version this month as it's the best alternative... the player was only about $250US.

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I thought I heard something about a future True Lies 5-Star Collection edition from Peter Staddon a while back. Thanks for the suggestion re: D-VHS, but I have too many HT toys already.

I was in Key West on vacation and it reminded me of the chase scene...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Miles, but if you didn't get the new JVC 40000 or new Marantz deck you can't output the full bitrate DTS track.

Dan

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
thought I heard something about a future True Lies 5-Star Collection edition from Peter Staddon a while back.
This was on Fox's schedule, I believe, and then officially put on hold by 9/11. Nothing much has come up since then, except for the on again/off again rumors of a sequel which obviously have little merit, especially now.

With all that said, I believe Fox has discontinued the "Five Star" brand of titles, so if we see a new edition, it'll probably just be labelled as special edition.

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have anything new to say, but I just wanted to agree with DeanWG said. That is my recollection of the situation as well.

I'm sure this will come up in the chat with Peter next week.

Miles

Second Unit
Dan,

True... no DTS for me. But I was surprised at how good the higher bit-rate DD sounds. The picture is the main feature for me... It seems like quite an improvement over DVD (Although the only title I have is Ice Age). Given the price... it's just an expensive VCR... which isn't that far off of a decent DVD player price. Hopefully some day I'll be able to tape HD content with it... Although I may have to modify my satellite receiver to do so...

Eric F

Screenwriter
True Lies is on HBO in HD a few times this month. Remains to be seen whether it will be OAR (doubtfull). It's a Super35 so it will probably be opened up.

As most, I have no way of saving it, so I still have the D-Theater version on order- but if HBO's transfer is halfway decent, I'll probably cancel it in anticipation of a cable-box with firewire output.

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
True... no DTS for me. But I was surprised at how good the higher bit-rate DD sounds
In my experience, DD sounds better on DVHS. Actually, some of the DD DVHS's sound better than their DVD dts counterpart.

By the way, what is the latest with True Lies 2??

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
By the way, what is the latest with True Lies 2??
It's never going to happen it looks like. The script was near completion by James Cameron but when 9/11 happened, he scrapped the idea totally because he didn't find terrorism funny anymore.

I did hear a faint rumour however in early 2003 that Michael Bay was pitched the idea of directing True Lies 2.

However, I doubt this movie is going to happen at all with Arnold Schwarzenegger as Governor of California. I don't want to see this movie being made without him and at the same time I don't want to see a 60 year old Harry Tasker fighting for his pension plan instead of terrorism.

All we can hope for now is a kick ass SE release by FOX with a great DTS track and James Cameron and possibly cast members commentary. ARE YOU LISTENING FOX???!!! :D

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
With the recent announcement that the DVD Forum has agreed on a new HD-DVD format, I wouldn't consider D-VHS for half a second. I'd be perfectly happy with an anamorphic DVD re-release to satisfy me for a few more years until the HD-DVD version comes along.
Dittos. And even without the recent announcement from the
forum, I would never consider HD on tape. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks