What's new

The Master, Merged TRUE LIES reissue thread: When, oh when? (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yeah -

except I loved the Signature Collection discs - probably the best looking Laserdisc Box set series ever IMO (aside from the wonderful, simple Criterion banner)

The thing thats tacky about 5 star packaging to me is the silvery reflection effect - its one thing to be silver but the reflective quality is very tacky IMO.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Personally, I don't care much about packaging, but Moe, Matthew, et al's point was recently illustrated by the French Connection Box set. The overall package design of the "non-Five Star" French Connection II disc looks much cooler than its predecessor which is hampered by the "five star" reflective silver border.

Regards,

------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
i like the shiny silver myself. I've picked them all up besides the sound of music so far, and if they kepe churning them out, I'll keep buying (i suppose i will get around to buying SoM just becuase i'm obsessive like that).

but at any rate...

"Mr. Ling had best add ________"

He best meet your demands or what? You're gonna pound him?! Send him nasty emails? jeeeez....

i've got to say, i appreciate the fact that the internet allows consumers to take a more active role in some studio's decision making process, but I think alot of people have a pretty insane sense of entitlement.

If anyone believes their passion and knowledge are so comprehensive they deserve to be dictating specs, they should spend less time barking and go get their resume together and try and get a job in that sort of role.

don't get me wrong, i am not advocating we bend over take whatever the industry gives us, but saying "I would like to see _____" would perhaps be more civil than " Mr. ____, you better do this or I will be outraged etc". Nobody likes an asshole, and I bet no matter how good the suggestion, if the recipient of the advice feels your being arrogant and condescending, I doubt they will be swayed by your argument.

I didn't mean this to be a personal attack. I see this kind of sentiment all over this board, and all the others as well. Ultimately the power to purchase is in your hands, and at the end of the day, thats really the only vote that counts. Everything else is just hot air.

[Edited last by Rob Robinson on September 26, 2001 at 01:48 PM]

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
"I would have liked him to add_________" and "he should add________ next time."

How's that?

Dan

[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on September 26, 2001 at 01:54 PM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If anyone believes their passion and knowledge are so comprehensive they deserve to be dictating specs, they should spend less time barking and go get their resume together and try and get a job in that sort of role.
Well said, Rob!

M.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
..The overall package design of the "non-Five Star" French Connection II disc looks much cooler than its predecessor which is hampered by the "five star" reflective silver border.
Exactly how if feel. I think the "Non-Five Star" artwork is really cool (even if it is a good rip-off of the Fight Club artwork) and the Five-Star release could have just used a variation on that artwork with the words "Five Star Collection" worked into the top. Just my opinion. I think I should note that I'm a huge fan of Criterion's artwork and packaging so I really like the simple, elegant look. Less is more.

I know that this isn't really all that important, I just know that studios DO look at our feedback so I'm giving it. The packaging of a title doesn't necessarily dictate my buying it, yet it adds to the overall experience of owning a dvd, IMO.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I think this is one of Swarzenegger's best movie ( Tom Arnoud's BEST) and If it has a DTS track I will sure by it.I love DTS and It dosent bother me a bit to by a 2nd copy of a movie I have in DD, ( i.e The fifth Element ).

------------------
RCA 36 INCH TV
DENON avr-2800
Panasonic DVD-rv80
Fronts:PSB Century 1000i
Center:PSB century 200i
Rear:PSB Alpha Into LR
MTX power sub
Kimber Kable & Illuminations V-21

God Bless America :usa:

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The Digital Bits recently reported that both True Lies and Speed will receive the Five Star treatment next year.

Adam

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Yeah I've heard the rumors from TDB about Speed and True Lies, that's why I asked. Sometimes, though, TDB can be a bit...unreliable with rumors. However, with any story it's always nice to hear that information straight from one of the DVD's producers, out in the open.

-Tom

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Tom,

You can also read that interview with Van Ling over at DVDFile.com

Right at the end he talks about his next projects and mentions that he is starting on the SE of True Lies. I would take that to mean next summer at the earliest. Unless he has already been preparing it.

Later, Chad

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
quote: Yeah I've heard the rumors from TDB about Speed and True Lies, that's why I asked. However, with any story it's always nice to hear that information straight from one of the DVD's producers, out in the open.[/quote]

Well, as the producer of the upcoming Five Star edition of "Speed," consider this your confirmation. (And by the way, this was confirmed "out in the open" a few weeks ago in my interviews with DVD File and DVD Angle.)

But, as always, I'm looking forward to seeing what Van comes up with for "True Lies." I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an extended Helen Tasker striptease sequence, of course!

[Edited last by Charlie de Lauzirika on September 27, 2001 at 11:10 PM]

Hubert

Second Unit
I'm glad I learned about this because I was gonna buy the current True Lies tomorrow. Now I can wait.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ahhhh...Charlie!! You are the one making our Five Star Speed? I feel better already. Just seeing your name attached to it brings a smile to my face and makes me happy that we will get a damn fine DVD...and also brings a lot of impatience into my life by knowing that the disc is done and no mention of what is on it or when it is coming
Too bad it isnt here now...
thanks for the heads up charlie, but also no thanks for raising my expectations WAY too high real fast.
I better not be disappointed(bah, what am I saying?)

------------------

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Wow, thanks Mr. de Lauzirika! It's weird because when these titles have been discussed on different DVD sites and forums, they seemed far away. Now it's like they're right around the corner. Thanks for your input, as well as the other heavyweights around here like Mr. Staddon, Mr. Blythe, etc. etc.....say, do you guys ever hold "Dvd Producer Games" or anything, where you get to beat Van Ling with rubber gloves :D :D I know I'd want to have something like that if I was in the profession, if only to hobnob with the other guys in the industry.

-Tom

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The True Lies SE sounds good so I'll definitely be picking that up!

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
Charlie de Lauzirika--nice to see someone actually working on the Speed DVD. I hope there will be a DTS soundtrack on Speed.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I hope there will be a DTS soundtrack on Speed.
I was hoping Speed would get a new re-mix so that it could take advantage of the ".1" channel. The current mix is 5.0, but I think a film as explosive and entertaining as Speed could really use a little enhancement in the bass department. While you're at it, why not make it an EX track as well?

Before anyone decides to attack me for wanting the original soundtrack altered, keep in mind that Terminator 2 was an Oscar winning soundtrack, and it was decided to re-mix it for the SE that came out last year. One of the things done was to add more bass to the LFE channel. I think it was the right decision, as that film always sounded a little lean to me.

Neil

------------------

"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
I will be picking up the True Lies 5 Star Edition when it will be available although I already have the new R2 edition which features a brand new and rather good 16x9 transfer which I guess will be the same on the upcoming R1 SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks