The Master, Merged TRUE LIES reissue thread: When, oh when?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Darren Pillans, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Darren Pillans

Darren Pillans Second Unit

Forgive my ignorance, but I had no idea this was coming.

Anyone have details and a release date?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Next year, apparently (along with Speed 5 star).

Dan (UK)

3. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

Just returned from France where I picked up their copy of True lies. Nothing special other than the new anamorphic transfer that is far superior to the US release. It has a choice of english or French 5.1, and I am indeed very happy.

------------------
    www.btinternet.com/~woof.bark/
    [​IMG]

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Here's hoping the extreme edge enhancement on the current releases (LD, DVD) is eliminated. I'm eagerly awaiting this as it's one of my favorite's. Speed will be a kick as well. For the time being I stick to the DTS LDs when watching these flicks.

------------------
    --Jay

"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."

My Home Theatre Pictures...

"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Just think

When LD was in its prime, right before/during the launch of DVD, the "True Lies" laserdisc was considered a reference picture for the format.

Take the same master and put it on a DVD and suddenly we all complain because it falls so short of the expected quality!

Funny how 16x9 component/480P video changes things.

-dave

6. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I've been hearing the same things about 1080i. Apparently, DVD is a blurry mess after viewing 1080i. When will the carnage end? [​IMG]

7. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'm for 1080P and UNCOMPRESSED (or lossless compression) of DSD audio or 24/192 7 channel sound.

Of course, we're talking 1080P with NO visible compression artifacts what-so-ever.

FMD...

dave [​IMG]

9. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

The carnage will only end *if* the home presentation is as good as the original material (film, digital, whatever they'll use to shoot movies at that time). While it's a long shot, I'd like to point out that a lot of us already prefer the sound in our HTs to the local movie theaters. If it's possible with audio, why not video?

10. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

11. Thomas Edstrom

Thomas Edstrom Auditioning

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

quote: Here's hoping the extreme edge enhancement on the current releases (LD, DVD) is eliminated.[/quote]

I second that emotion. I just watched the DVD tonight and I thought it was atrocious. The EE was terrible, and most of the film was a mess due to it. Granted, the "anamorphic squeeze" feature on my WEGA has spoiled me to a degree, but I haven't seen such obvious scan lines on other non-16X9 titles. It's an awful transfer...

Out of curiosity, I checked a slew of review sites to see what they thought of the DVD. The vast majority felt it looked great, which really puzzled me. Admittedly, standards have risen over the last couple of years, but still, I thought it was almost unwatchable.

Of course, as the guy who originally gave the old non-anamorphic "Die Hard 3" an "A-" for picture back in 1999, I probably shouldn't talk! As much flack as that disc received, I still thought it looked better than "True Lies", and that relates to a recent screening; I knocked down my old "A-" to a "C+", but I didn't think it was as ugly as "True Lies". I haven't decided what to rate "TL" yet - I continue to fluctuate between "C-" and a "D+". I should pull out my old LD and compare the two...

------------------
    Colin Jacobson
    DVD Movie Guide

www.dvdmg.com

[Edited last by Colin Jacobson on September 07, 2001 at 07:33 PM]

13. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

Even better...a theatrical 35mm print of True Lies with DTS sound. No "EE" and no compression whatsoever! That should stop the carnage dead on its tracks... [​IMG]

-THTS

14. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

EDIT: 2x post
    [​IMG]

[Edited last by Scott Simonian on September 08, 2001 at 12:03 AM]

15. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

RIGHT ON FRANK !!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

16. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

17. Rob N

Rob N Agent

According to a recent interview conducted with Van Ling for DVD Shrine, he stated that he'll soon begin working on True Lies as a Fox 5 star collection. Great news!

18. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Yeah. Someone recently wondered whether they might pull it due to the WTC but this seems hopeful.

Theo

19. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Mr. Ling had best add a nice DTS track and very few or no easter eggs this time. He dropped the ball on Region 1 The Terminator IMHO. Take out some of the foreign language tracks and he'd have had room for a nice DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track instead.

It would have made the T1 and T2 sets go together nicely.

Dan

------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

20. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

Sounds Good. Which brings me to one complaint regarding the Five-Star collections. I think it would be much cooler if the Five-Star logo was worked into the cover artwork rather than have it in a big, bold silver border as it is now. A good example is the new French Connection artwork. It looks really cool where the artwork is an then the silver border kind of destroys the classy look of it. It kind of reminds me of the old Universal Signature Collection laserdiscs. Anyone feel this way, too?