The master Cronenberg's SPIDER.... Oscar contender?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin_S, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Mar 4, 2001
    Cronenberg is my second favorite director of all time, and I treasure ALL of his films (except for M BUTTERFLY)! I am VERY highly anticipating his new film, SPIDER. At Creature Corner, I saw this interesting article:

By Johnny Butane
    Contributing sources: Coming Soon

So as you know, Canadian horror meistro David Cronenberg's new film, 'Spider', has been getting a lot rave reviews since premeiring at Cannes this year, and apparently it was enough for Sony to take interest.

It was announced today that Sony Pictures Classic has nabbed the U.S. rights to the film, based on the novel of the same name by Patrick McGrath. They're looking to release it state side come December for hopeful Oscar consideration.

Yes...THOSE Oscars.

It'd be too much, folks. First I get to see Peter Jackson accept multiple academy awards for 'Lord of the Rings', then Sam Raimi has the 5th-highest grossing movie of all time, now I might have to deal with a possible "Oscar-winning director" tag in front of David Cronenberg's name? Too much.

SPC co-president Tom Bernard cites five potential Oscar nods: Director David Cronenberg, Ralph Fiennes for lead actor, Miranda Richardson for lead actress, Gabriel Byrne for supporting actor, and Patrick McGrath who adapted his novel into the screenplay.

I would absolutely LOVE to see Cronenberg get such respect which he so greatly deserves! Quite interesting indeed.
  2. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Jun 19, 1999
    It might be too soon to talk Oscar nominations though.
    Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't think the Academy will nominate a Canadian film for Best Picture.
    The Sweet Hereafter was snubbed for a Best Picture nomination, even though most critics praised it as one of the very best films that year.