What's new

THE MASK SE (retitled now that the disc is out) (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
In relation to Jim Carrey's The Mask:
There was a new anamorphic transfer created for the film along with brand new Dolby Digital and DTS tracks. I have no clue if there were "new" extras created for the future DVD release, but expect a new release in the time frame of the sequel's theatrical release in February 2005. If we don't have a DVD announcement by the end of November, then expect the new release to come out when the sequel hits DVD by the end of Summer 2005.

In relation to Peter Bogdanovich's Mask:
The new DVD is nice, go pick it up.

adrian b

Stunt Coordinator
Cher...w/ green skin and really big teeth!
.......think about it.........................

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Maybe New Line Home Video is holding off until they see how Son of the Mask does (which is finally coming out).

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/sonofthemask.html

Personally, I don't think there is any appeal to see it anymore. Its release is too far from the original, there is no new DVD to promote the sequel, and there is no general tie-in unless I'm missing something. The cast list isn't very "A-list" and they aren't doing anything huge now to cross-promote.

Only the dog Otis is back. Was that his name in the first movie?

But oops! This is a thread for the SE of the original movie.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's a different dog. Milo was the name of the dog in the original.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I wish they'd hurry up and release that bastard sequel, so we could get our The Mask SE DVD's!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I would say expect the Mask re-release to coincide with the DVD release of the sequel, which is due in theaters later this month. I'd expect the sequel's DVD to hit shelves sometime this summer. If a SE of the original doesn't come out then, I wouldn't expect one at all.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I saw THE MASK on the HD-DVD list for later this year so that's the earliest we might see this since the sequel is coming out this week in theaters with no SE DVD announcement of the original movie in sight.
-

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

Yes they did. It was a Kelloggs promotion. However, they only released the P&S version. Needless to say, it serves as a great beer coaster. lol.

I bought "The Mask" a few months ago through Columbia House for $10. For a non-OAR title, I was impressed with the picture quality. It'll definitely suffice until a special edition is released.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Something tells me the sequel won't last long in theaters, so we should have a good idea whether or not this is still happening soon. I don't see them paying a company to do new DTS and Dolby mixes for the SE and then scrapping it, so I have a feeling it will arrive the same time the sequel does.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The original release of The Mask is a New Line flipper with the full frame version one on side and a perfectly adequate hard-matted letterbox transfer on the other. And an amusing commentary track. So if an SE with a new anamorphic transfer doesn't materialize soon, look for this one in a bargain bin to tide you over. If the price is right it can be worth it for the pleasure of watching the movie a few times before the SE finally arrives. (I bought the original no-frills non-anamorphic release of The Princess Bride knowing an SE was expected within a year for just that reason My VHS copy was worn out and the twelve bucks or so it cost me was less than renting it several timees would have been.)

A lot of threads around here would be much clearer if people used quotation marks around movie and TV series titles in their headers. I can easily understand why some people read the title of this thread as The "Mask" SE ... did this get cancelled? rather than "The Mask" SE, etc. The ambiguity was inherent in the phrasing. Even without quotation marks The SE of The Mask ... did it get cancelled? would have been clearer. Then there's the thread my eye kept sliding over because I thought it was about a film (or a character, or an actress) named "Laura Fox". The thread was up a couple of days before I read the whole title and realized the originator was talking about "Laura", Fox film noir.... :D (Another one that could have been saved by word order, creative typography or quotation marks. Laura: Fox film noir..., Fox film noir: Laura... or LAURA Fox film noir...)

Actually, thread titles could be the subject of a thread all their own. Between the under-use of quotation marks, the over-use of intitials ["When is WRERATOUERTOAFJN coming out?") and too generic titles ("Need help", "Have question" and my personal favorite, "Home Theater") there are a lot of nits to pick around here. Maybe something for "After Hours". ;)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks