What's new

The MASH appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no one started a thread to discuss, and debate one of the greatest television shows of all time. M*A*S*H* is an amazing show and I'd like to kick this off with one of the most heated issues for any fan of the show.

I'm pretty new to the series(just got the complete series last year), but I love seasons 6-11 the most. I love the Winchester dynamic, and although it is a much more serious show in those years I never felt it went overboard with drama.

Seasons 6-11 just "clicked" with me more so than the early seasons.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i think many people find this series a bit pretentious, but i really enjoyed it as a kid. i mean my other viewing was candy like Three's Company and A-Team
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
so this show was on a completely other level.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Most people I've talked to either can't stand it, or once liked it, but got turned off by the later seasons.

The people who hate it will never give it a chance, and the others just feel that the show started to believe it's own hype.
I like most all the episodes. Even the overboard, sentimental dramatic ones.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The show was really like three series in one, and that's one of the reasons it remained so popular for so long.

* Seasons 1-3 tried to take the movie and bring the essence of it to TV -- within the confines of the TV censorship of the day. And it (mostly) succeeded. It provided a zany and irreverent look at surgeons and nurses trying to save lives of soldiers that were being shot and killed just scant miles from their workplace. Except for a few episodes here and there ("Sometimes you Hear the Bullet") the first three seasons were more like a traditional situation comedy. And given the situation a lot of the antics and hilarity seemed rather bizarre to some viewers. That all changed with the third season finale' and the tragic on-screen departure of Henry Blake. From that heartrending scene forward this show was purely a "dramedy" (half drama/half comedy); and it totally embraced that concept in the years to come.

* Seasons 4-5 could best be described as "transitional" with the outstanding introduction episodes for BJ ("Welcome to Korea" -- one of the best episodes in the series enitre run) and Colonel Potter ("Change of Command"). From about the mid-point of Season 4 on it was obvious that the character of Frank Burns didn't really fit well with the new tone of the series, and this factor (in my opinion) kept the show from being as good as it could have been.

* Season 6 on -- With the departure of Frank Burns and the introduction of Charles Emerson Winchester the show *finally* hits its stride. Hawkeye and BJ have a foil that's more than their equal to play off of. The show goes on to tackle many serious war-related subjects in a mature manner while still maintaining a consistently entertaining tone.

We'll probably never see a series evolve in a fashion similar to this ever again!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
To Joseph Bolus: Your analysis of the series is very good. I enjoyed the series its entire network run. During its first year or two it was part of that "killer" CBS lineup on Saturday night with All In the Family, MASH, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart Show, and Carol Burnett Show. One of the best prime time line ups, ever.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I love the Winchester dynamic too and the mix of some more serious subject matter gave it some depth, but the comedic roots were almost always there true to form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn35
Recent bookmarks