What's new

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show" on DVD 9/24! (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mine just shipped from Amazon yesterday (at a $7.98 overcharge :angry:) so give me a while, to get it then watch an episode or 2, then I'll extoll it's virtues. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Scott.
I just realized my haste in posting the above comments. Hence, my "Edit" addendum (placed there 30 seconds before your above post.) :)
Scott....You're gonna LOVE the transfers! Believe me!! You'll need sunglasses to view Ted's brightly-colored WJM blazer! :D

Dene

Agent
I'm from the UK and had never seen this show before believe it or not (it's only had very brief runs here, and the most recent of those was more than 15 years ago). Rhoda got a full run however & I fondly remember it.
As a huge sitcom enthusiast I just had to go for this and it's a delight -- as David VP says above, it's one of the best sets on sale at the moment. Terrific documentary, commentaries, and all sorts of fascinating bits & pieces (and the show itself is of course terrific).
It's a pity M*A*S*H hasn't got the same treatment but perhaps it will with future releases?
And a real shame about this 2-releases-per-year business: I think 3-per-year, i.e. one every 4 months would be a lot better. But maybe I'm just being impatient.
Has anyone spotted any Easter Eggs BTW? I haven't, but it's such a technically impressive disc I wouldn't be surprised if there are some? I was hoping for the original Lou/Mary scene (mentioned on the docu) that they showed to the network as a 'pilot' to be on there somewhere -- the production team thought it was awful, but it'd be nice to see it all the same.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
With the unexpected-before-Christmas 17-disc bonanza of the Space: 1999 set my wife just bought me, I decided to wait on MTM - a show I admit I only liked, not loved - until I caught up on my TV-on-DVD viewing. Right now I'm in the middle of 4 box sets, and haven't cracked the seals on 4 others. Plus 2 others en route, and two more must-buys to order soon! No reason to add MTM to the que, yet...especially since the best price is at Costco, and so it isn't a limited-time special price. I'll just keep an eye on stock levels and grab it before it's gone.
November 5th is gonna be the same way. I'll probably limit myself to a few of the avalanche of box sets hitting that day. ST:TNG S5 is a must-buy for me. X-Files is gonna be "whenever I run into a cheap (perhaps used) copy"; the show was starting to go downhill by S6 anyway. B5 will be "maybe for Christmas", unfortunately. Dead Zone...I dunno. Band Of Brothers is gonna be "forget it". The three Disney boxes...well, I hope I get review copies of 'em, because I would like them all, especially Felicity. Unfortunately, September's release list has broken me (the charge cards are pretty much full), and sacrifices will have to be made.
MTM might be one of them. :frowning: Now, if the Dick Van Dyke "ottoman" box set ships before year's end, I will have an entirely different attitude! But, hopefully all this stuff I miss out on now will be on the market in the doldrum months early next year, so I can catch back up to the ones I can't afford to buy this year. Or, maybe I'll get lots of gift certificates for Christmas. :wink:
This has been an epsiode of "Dave's Lessons on the Dangers of Loving TV Show Box Sets". :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone spotted any Easter Eggs BTW?
I forgot to search for Eggs! Thanks for bringing it up. We may find none, but ya never know!
A good Egg tidbit would be a section with nothing but Ted's Greatest WJM Hits :), featuring a quick salvo of such classic Ted Baxter goofs as "White horse sous", "You've got something on your front tooth", and "Just look at her gobble up that slop" (while we view a shot, behind Ted, of Sue Ann enjoying dinner). :laugh:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
... Now, if the Dick Van Dyke "ottoman" box set ships before year's end, I will have an entirely different attitude!
...Which I can fully understand & appreciate, David L.! :)
You have your priorities in perfect focus, my friend!
ANYONE who could resist the COMPLETE 158-episode (probably 30-disc :eek: ) set of Dick V. Dyke can't be considered much of a TV DVD collector! (No offense. :) )
I check www.dvdondvd.com each and every day, hoping for .... DVD-on-DVD COMING DEC. 3!! Pre-Order Price for Ottoman CE: $125.99! ACT NOW!! .... but, so far, no such (good) luck. :D
No Van Dyke updates since June 15th. Well, maybe that's good. They must be doin' it right! (But I still ache for that set! :) )

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Frankly, I'm rather shocked and disappointed at the apparent lack of interest in this dang-near-perfect MTM set of DVDs.
David VP: I think it's just a matter of too many major releases coming out on one day. I've never seen anything like it--nearly 300 DVDs released on one day. Frankly, I have no idea why the various studios ganged up on Sept. 24. If Fox, for example, had moved MTM to next week, Oct. 1, the set would have faced relatively little competition for consumer dollars and press coverage.
Because I'm in Minneapolis, where MTM was set, I made an extra effort to cover it. But it wasn't easy to find the space. I had to run my brief write-up as a sidebar to my regular column. But it was a hoot talking to Ed Asner. Here's the link:
http://www.startribune.com/stories/459/3320639.html

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
BTW ... Frankly, I'm rather shocked and disappointed at the apparent lack of interest in this dang-near-perfect MTM set of DVDs.
I am actually pleasantly surprised there was so much enthusiasm for this series. I didn't realize there were so many people who liked this show as much as I did.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
David VP-
Appreciate your trying to help. The commentaries on disdc 1 work fine, but no matter how I try to get to the one on disc 2--no luck. I'm off Monday and I'm gonna go to Best Buy and see if other players will play this or it it's a bad disc. Somehow I have a feeling it's an incompatibility issue. We'll see.

This set is amazing otherwise. When the opening began, I actually said Wow out loud. Last disc to do this was Snow White. I hadn't realized how faded the prints were that I'd seen for the past couple decades. The colors were nearly breathtaking. Just her name appearing on the screen and separating into colors (don't know how else to describe it) was a shock.

Maybe--MAYBE--Fox is doing a better job with Buffy, but that's the only other tv package I've seen that rivals this. I'm in for all 7 seasons, though I also wish we could have 3 a year. Or 4. As long as they're this nicely done, they're worth the wait.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone figured out who is in the photograph on the table in Mary's apartment. It looks like a man in his 20s but I don't have a zoom feture on my DVD player so I can't really see the photo that clear.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
My copy has an audio drop out on the right channel. It comes in the second episode between approx. 1:20 and 1:45 when Lou is speaking.

Anyone else have this problem or do I have to go exchange it?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody know if the MTM series was done on "film", rather than recorded directly onto videotape?
I know All In The Family was done on "tape", not film. And this is probably a major reason why its DVD quality is subpar when compared to other transfers of TV programs.
I'm just wondering if part of the reason this MTM set looks so amazingly fantastic is due to being on film in the first place (a la most of the episodes of The Twilight Zone, which also look excellent on DVD), lending itself to a much better DVD transfer than its magnetic-tape contemporaries.
Watching this MTM set is a true pleasure! Everyone needs to get this set! There's no possible way this series looked this great even during its very first network showing in 1970! :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Do you think I could get one of you guys to check on that audio dropout for me....please.

If it's just me, I'd like to go exchange it.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I have the same thing on my copy. For a few seconds the right channel drops out causing the pro logic to lose the dialogue in the centre channel. For those few seconds Lou's voice comes out of the left speaker only until the right channel kicks back in.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Do you guys think it might be worth starting a thread in the Feedback area in the hopes that Fox might correct the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks