What's new

The Mary Tyler Moore Show on Blu-ray … ever? (2 Viewers)

garypleace

Auditioning
Real Name
telecineman
I can't see this happening. Surely the MAIN draw for MTM fans and it's continued popularity was the script quality? Would having these shows in HD make THAT much of a difference? Enough of a difference to persuade Studios and customers to shell-out yet again for a clearer view of Mary? Very nice that would be though!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Like so many 70s contemporaries, it suffers from 70s-itis. Parts of it can be kind of depressing. I think that held back a whole decade of sitcoms. The least depressing 70s sitcom-Brady Bunch-is most likely for blu.

I have no idea what you are referring to here. What in heaven's name is the least bit depressing about MARY TYLER MOORE? It's one of the best written shows in television history and stands along side her former co-star, Dick Van Dyke's iconic sitcom as an evergreen. The only thing "70's" about it are the fashions and occasional pop culture references. Please elaborate.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
JoeDoakes
Parts of it can be kind of depressing./QUOTE]

I really want Gilligan’s Island on Blu-ray ‘cause it’s not sad.
Shot on film I want all the details.

MTM is a groundbreaking series that deserves a Blu-ray release- those DVDs look bad. I only wish there was a way to remove that awful laugh track. That wasn’t live was it?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoeDoakes
Parts of it can be kind of depressing./QUOTE]

I really want Gilligan’s Island on Blu-ray ‘cause it’s not sad.
Shot on film I want all the details.

MTM is a groundbreaking series that deserves a Blu-ray release- those DVDs look bad. I only wish there was a way to remove that awful laugh track. That wasn’t live was it?

Yes. It was an actual studio audience, so the laugh track is baked in. It's not like MASH, where it was removable.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Everybody is entitled to their own opinions.....but "Depressing" would not be how I would describe "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". "Funny", "Warm" and "Well Written/Acted" would be my description of the show, imo.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
The DVD set is fine- as with most TV series. Plus they are going to certain cable channels and streaming. TV series on disc are problematic- dozens of discs to pop in and out and keeping track of which episode you're watching- so much easier with streaming. How many times will you watch a 60 or 600 hour series? They are totally different than movies. IMHO.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Even shows with live audiences (which this show did indeed have) had their audio tracks “sweetened” with additional canned laughter to provide for a more even experience. It’s rare to find any show with a laugh track that’s 100% natural. But I always felt these soundtracks played better when at least some of it was real.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even shows with live audiences (which this show did indeed have) had their audio tracks “sweetened” with additional canned laughter to provide for a more even experience. It’s rare to find any show with a laugh track that’s 100% natural. But I always felt these soundtracks played better when at least some of it was real.

(On a tangent).

What would be examples of past/current tv shows which used canned laughter which was completely artificial and not live?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Generally anything filmed single camera and not in front of a studio audience - think of shows like Bewitched or MASH, to name but two.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Yeah, they didn't start playing filmed/taped stuff to audiences for a live response until the 70s, did they?

I Love Lucy I think was the very first sitcom to have a live audience, every laugh from that series was genuine. Lucy may also be the first series to "sweeten" laughter as the season 6 episode "Lucy Does The Tango" held the record for having the longest laugh in the history of TV. In 1976, that record would be broken by The Carol Burnett Show with the classic skit, Went With The Wind when Starlett makes her famous entrance in her iconic curtain rod dress.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I Love Lucy I think was the very first sitcom to have a live audience, every laugh from that series was genuine. Lucy may also be the first series to "sweeten" laughter as the season 6 episode "Lucy Does The Tango" holds the record for having the longest laughs in the history of TV.

No, no, I mean filming a show one camera style with no audience, then playing it for a live audience to capture their responses, like when All in the Family started taping the show with no audience then they played it for One Day At A Time audiences to get a live laugh track specific to that episode.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There’s definitely sweetened laughter added to the studio recordings in I Love Lucy. Watch a few episodes in a row and you’ll start to notice familiar sequences of laugh sounds.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
No, no, I mean filming a show one camera style with no audience, then playing it for a live audience to capture their responses, like when All in the Family started taping the show with no audience then they played it for One Day At A Time audiences to get a live laugh track specific to that episode.

All In The Family premiered in January 1971. One Day At A Time didn't begin until December 1975 which by that time AITF had been on for 6 years, so I don't think ODAAT was being screened AITF episodes to get a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks