What's new

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Savings are important, but even at full price who can deny that this 5 film package isn't already a steal; especially when factoring in the restoration aspects.

No denying that at all, but owning it for 25 is better than admiring it on a wishlist for $45 esp if you are at best a casual fan of the Brothers

Owning it for $41 on 10/18 vs $32 on 10/20 is also a pretty easy choice for me

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
No denying that at all, but owning it for 25 is better than admiring it on a wishlist for $45 esp if you are at best a casual fan of the Brothers

Owning it for $41 on 10/18 vs $32 on 10/20 is also a pretty easy choice for me
No doubt.:thumbs-up-smiley:

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Universal.

Actually Universal Television. Remember (quick lesson for those just joining us), most of the pre-'50 Paramount stuff went to MCA--their dummy company EMKA [the name a pronounciation of the call letters in MCA] was, and still is, the perpetual copyright holder. EMKA evolved into what is now Universal Television.

However, Paramount Pictures is still the copyright holder for "Coconuts" and "Animal Crackers". They renewed the copyrights prior to their losing the rights to EMKA.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
When will we get the rest of the movies? Are they part of the Warner Archive?

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When will we get the rest of the movies? Are they part of the Warner Archive?
Warner owns the remaining Marx Bros. features. Nothing has been mentioned about a box set from them or any releasing partner like Criterion, but maybe if the Dietrich/Von Sternberg box set is successful, they'll try something similar with the Marxes with Warner's support.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if Warner would actually allow that many titles to be licensed. It seems like they generally only do it, grudgingly, if either the filmmaker is alive and makes an explicit request that they do so (Before Sunrise/Before Sunset from Criterion, for example, or Heaven & Earth from Twilight Time), or if the licensee has found an element with a third party that is better than what Warner had in their vault (Philadelphia Story).

I'd love to be wrong on all of this, but sadly, Warner titles are often where I stop holding my breath.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wonder if Warner would actually allow that many titles to be licensed. It seems like they generally only do it, grudgingly, if either the filmmaker is alive and makes an explicit request that they do so (Before Sunrise/Before Sunset from Criterion, for example, or Heaven & Earth from Twilight Time), or if the licensee has found an element with a third party that is better than what Warner had in their vault (Philadelphia Story).

I'd love to be wrong on all of this, but sadly, Warner titles are often where I stop holding my breath.
But we're talking about The Marx Brothes, here. How could anyone holding the remaining titles not see their worth for a release?
One would think that the restorations of the first 5 would lead to the remaining.
Certainly, at the very least, "A Night at the Opera" and "A Day at the Races".
But, then again, I only have the mindset of a fan and a consumer.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's not that they're not worthy of a release.

It's that Warner has an internal policy of "perfection, or nothing at all."

So right now, we're getting nothing. Hopefully, that will one day change.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's not that they're not worthy of a release.

It's that Warner has an internal policy of "perfection, or nothing at all."

So right now, we're getting nothing. Hopefully, that will one day change.
A valid reminder.:mellow:

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
To be honest, I love the Paramount Marxes so much that I don't find myself watching their MGM output that much, despite the memorable sequences in Opera, Races, and Circus. I think the last time I watched one of the films from the MGM box was Go West, and that was because I couldn't remember anything about it except the climax where they chopped up a train to keep the engine running.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I actually like all of the MGM titles except for the Big Store as much as the Paramounts. In fact more than Coconuts and Animal Crackers. The 3 Marx Brother films I rarely watch anymore and that I find the weakest are Room Service, A Night in Casablanca and Love Happy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I find that my sweet spot for Marx Brothers is the last of their Paramounts and the first of the MGMs... basically Monkey Business through A Day At The Races. I realize it's a sort of sacrilege to not hold Animal Crackers in a higher position, but, well, I'm weird.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I find that my sweet spot for Marx Brothers is the last of their Paramounts and the first of the MGMs... basically Monkey Business through A Day At The Races. I realize it's a sort of sacrilege to not hold Animal Crackers in a higher position, but, well, I'm weird.
Those would be my 5 favorites too. I think they were in their peak as far as their films go in those 5 films. A lot to like about Coconuts and Animal Crackers but being early talkies I find both a bit creaky and slow in spots.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I don't think that's at all uncommon, actually.

If I had to choose the weakest, my pick would be THE BIG STORE (1941), although I do enjoy Tony Martin's singing.

I don't really consider LOVE HAPPY (1949) a team film, although the main 3 Marx's do appear.

CHEERS! :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Has any progress been made toward finding the complete cut of “A Night At The Opera”? Apparently any reference to “those happy go lucky care free Italians” was removed during WW II and the cuts are lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks