What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No question about it: the four Marx Brothers were the most unique screen comedy team in history: a straight man, an insult comic, an ethnic comedian, and a pantomime artist, all of whom interacted with one another in twos or threes or fours in wacky, ever zanier ways.

The Cocoanuts (1929)

Released: 03 Aug 1929
Rated: PASSED
Runtime: 96 min

Director: Robert Florey, Joseph Santley
Genre: Comedy, Musical

Cast: The Marx Brothers, Zeppo Marx, Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx
Writer(s): George S. Kaufman (book), Morrie Ryskind (adapted by)

Plot: During the Florida land boom, the Marx brothers run a hotel, auction off some land, thwart a jewel robbery, and generally act like themselves.

IMDB rating: 7.2
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
Great review, Matt! I am so looking forward to revisiting all of these films. The Cocoanuts in particular has me excited as it was the first Marx Bros. movie I ever saw. I was 11 and it made a great impression on me. I've been a fan ever since.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
It was number one on my Christmas gift list so thanks to my Brother I will be watching it when I have it. Still the kings of comedy along with W.C. Fields, Laurel & Hardy, and Buster Keaton.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It seems like I pre-ordered this years ago! :laugh:

I was most anxious about the audio of these films. It sounds like these films are going to be revelations to those of us who have only heard them with those historically bad sound tracks.

Thanks, Matt, for putting us at ease that this release is going to be something different than what we've seen (or heard) in the past!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I know we all have to start our learning somewhere, but first day with the HDTV or what!

You can always stretch them if you don't mind Margaret Dumont looking like Sophie Tucker!

PMBen

Agent
Real Name
Pablo Manzano
As far as I know, Cocoanuts and Animal Crackers (and according to IMDB Monkey Business too) had an original OAR of 1.20:1. In the old video transfers, only the credits were not cropped.

It was announced somewhere that the new BRs would respect the aspect ratio of the movies.

If it really is 1,33 on the BRs, that bothers me because I can't see the point of an expensive restoration if the films are going to be shown cropped for no reason whatsoever (it's going to be pillarboxed anyway, so why 1,33 instead of 1,20?).

Check out Criterion's Lubitsch Box Set, where films from the same years and produced by the same studio are shown without mutilation.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Are studios distributing BD's of the classic films still messing around with the Aspect Ratio? To what end?
Meanwhile, having read Mr. Hough's review, my biggest surprise was that "The Cocoanuts" had any chance of looking better, at all.
Surprise #2: If this restoration for "The Cocoanuts" could occur, then one would had believed that "Duck Soup" would had been the crown-of-the-jewel within this new collection.
I wonder if Matt - or anyone else out there - could offer further background information on the problems faced for each of these 5 restorations.
Thanks.
P.S. It's still a "no-brainer" purchase for me, as I'm still amazed that Paramount was able to salvage any of these crucial gems for a BD age.
Thanks, Paramount:cheers:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did not measure the aspect ratios of the films but was using liner note information and my own eye estimations. If I have time today (something new to review just arrived a half hour ago), I'll go back and look at the first two again in respect to the aspect ratios.

I do remember in the commentary for The Cocoanuts, the speaker mentioned that Paramount experimented with both sound on disc and sound on film with the early talkie movies they did. If they had a full frame 1.33:1 master for the movie from the sound-on-disc release, maybe that was what was used for the transfer.

Reactions: PMF

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Are studios distributing BD's of the classic films still messing around with the Aspect Ratio? To what end?
Meanwhile, having read Mr. Hough's review, my biggest surprise was that "The Cocoanuts" had any chance of looking better, at all.
Surprise #2: If this restoration for "The Cocoanuts" could occur, then one would had believed that "Duck Soup" would had been the crown-of-the-jewel within this new collection.
I wonder if Matt - or anyone else out there - could offer further background information on the problems faced for each of these 5 restorations.
Thanks.
P.S. It's still a "no-brainer" purchase for me, as I'm still amazed that Paramount was able to salvage any of these crucial gems for a BD age.

Universal.

Reactions: PMF

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
It's still a "no-brainer" purchase for me, as I'm still amazed that Paramount was able to salvage any of these crucial gems for a BD age.

Yes, thanks, Paramount, for selling the rights to these films to Universal ages ago. If Paramount still owned them, we would never have this release.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
$50 at Amazon -- was $43 in August
$41 at BN or $40 at Bullmoose as a Preorder

I'll likely order this for $32 at BN in their price holds once it goes live on 10/18 or save it for less than $25 in December.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Savings are important, but even at full price who can deny that this 5 film package isn't already a steal; especially when factoring in the restoration aspects.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I'm always fascinated with COCOANUTS as a charming 1929 time capsule. That it'll now look that much more vivid will be really welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks