What's new

The Marvels (2023) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Bummer, but at the end of the day I'd rather wait a little longer than have a rushed final product.
We are getting Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantmania in its place, though, so we still have an MCU film in February. I know that I'm excited to see both Quantmania and The Marvels anyway. So it honestly doesn't really matter to me which one is in February and which one is in July. I think that's Disney's play here. We still get an MCU film on both dates. They have done a good job of getting the audience to accept the idea of "the MCU" as the franchise. So if The Marvels needs more time, slotting Quantmania there instead is an easy way to accomplish that.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not a big deal, I think, although it will be more than a year after the Ms. Marvel series (where we expect Carol will make an appearance).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
it will be more than a year after the Ms. Marvel series
This doesn't really seem to bother Disney. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is picking up Wanda's story over a year after the WandaVision finale aired. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantmania will arrive not quite two years after Loki. And of course all of Ms. Marvel the episodes will continue to be available on Disney+ for anybody who wants to rewatch them in advance of this movie.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Darn... now have to wait 5 months longer! Oh, well...

At least we'll get to see Jonathan Majors in its place... he was riveting as He Who Remains in Loki.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Barring any future release date changes, 1 year till The Marvels arrives!

On my wife's birthday, too! Can't wait!

Almost forgot...

(Not on my wife's birthday... :) )

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Technically, I'm sure it will arrive on the afternoon Thursday, July 27 instead of Friday, July 28. So technically that would be 364 days ;)

But going by what the official release date will be on trailers and posters and such, you're right.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, "Ms. Marvel" showrunner said:
At the point we started up the Ms. Marvel writers’ room, we already knew going in that The Marvels was going to happen and that Ms. Marvel was going to be part of it. What I didn’t know — and still don’t — is what’s going to happen in that movie, but I have some guesses … So I was very aware that we would get a teenage girl in Jersey City, without powers, and we would have to get her ready for whatever is going to happen in that movie. So I was very aware of that connectivity, and by the time they got moving in earnest on that feature, most of our scripts had been written. So, they had read all of our scripts, and they knew what was going to happen to her. They had all of that in mind as they were going into their movie, but I would love to know what happens in their story.
So it doesn't sound like we'll have the same problem that "WandaVision" and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness had, where they were being developed and refined in parallel rather than the one building off of the other. Megan McDonnell would have known Kamala's complete arc from "Ms. Marvel" S1 as she wrote the script for this movie.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, "Ms. Marvel" showrunner said:

So it doesn't sound like we'll have the same problem that "WandaVision" and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness had, where they were being developed and refined in parallel rather than the one building off of the other. Megan McDonnell would have known Kamala's complete arc from "Ms. Marvel" S1 as she wrote the script for this movie.

I still find it hard to fathom that Sam Raimi, as much a fan I am of his, didn't see the full WandaVision series before directing Multiverse of Madness. Almost like he didn't care or couldn't be bothered.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I still find it hard to fathom that Sam Raimi, as much a fan I am of his, didn't see the full WandaVision series before directing Multiverse of Madness. Almost like he didn't care or couldn't be bothered.
I said the same thing back in May when that film came out. But then I read somewhere that Elizabeth Olsen went straight from filming WandaVision to filming Multiverse of Madness. If that's true, it sounds like the show didn't exist in its final form for him to watch until after the movie was already underway. He should at the very least have read all of the scripts, though.

In any case, it's good to hear that there was more coordination between Ms. Marvel and The Marvels teams. The writing is a major part of what made Ms. Marvel feel special and distinctive, so I think it is really important that they keep that attention to detail with Kamala moving forward.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I have to believe that Raimi knew the broad strokes of WandaVision. How could he not? I mean, at the very least, if you're Elizabeth Olsen aren't you going to point out the major variances and contradictions? Wouldn't the producers clue him in? It's not like he wouldn't have been coordinating exclusively with people who had no clue as to what was going on with WV.

Sure seems intentional to me, because that's the story they wanted to tell and to heck with continuity or character arcs.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think Elizabeth Olsen is great, but she is not a writer. Her job was to show up and say the lines in the script. I agree that Raimi made the film that he wanted to make. As we know, he has a thing for evil books.

I think enjoying Wanda in that movie comes down to whether or not you're willing to accept its thesis: the evil Darkhold book corrupted her, largely off-screen, to such a huge degree that her previous experiences were irrelevant. I find that to be terrible, lazy writing. But if you're willing to go with that, and some people are, then it works.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Re: Raimi doing his own thing for MoM, IMO, Rian Johnson did a similar thing for The Last Jedi. Not that he didn't watch The Force Awakens, but he basically did his own thing for TLJ.

Disclosure: I think Rian Johnson is a talented filmmaker (eg. Knives Out is a fantastic Agatha Christie-style whodunnit), but I hated TLJ.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I disagree with that assessment of The Last Jedi. However, I don't really want to re-litigate the sequel trilogy here because that isn't what this thread is for.

That being said, we know The Force Awakens was in production while Rian Johnson was writing The Last Jedi. This is probably because Disney insisted on a two-year gap between the release of those films. I don't think it would have been possible to make a sequel on that timetable if they waited until after The Force Awakens was totally complete. Se Johnson was unable to see the entire film during his process. But he did read their script and he saw their dailies. So we can say for sure that he did know where he was picking up the story.

I don't know to what extent Raimi was aware of the events of WandaVision before making Multiverse of Madness. I know he said in interviews around the time of the film's release that he hadn't watched all of it.

In any case, to bring this coordination between Ms. Marvel and The Marvels is a good thing.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I disagree with that assessment of The Last Jedi. However, I don't really want to re-litigate the sequel trilogy here because that isn't what this thread is for.

That being said, we know The Force Awakens was in production while Rian Johnson was writing The Last Jedi. This is probably because Disney insisted on a two-year gap between the release of those films. I don't think it would have been possible to make a sequel on that timetable if they waited until after The Force Awakens was totally complete. Se Johnson was unable to see the entire film during his process. But he did read their script and he saw their dailies. So we can say for sure that he did know where he was picking up the story.

I don't know to what extent Raimi was aware of the events of WandaVision before making Multiverse of Madness. I know he said in interviews around the time of the film's release that he hadn't watched all of it.

In any case, to bring this coordination between Ms. Marvel and The Marvels is a good thing.
Yep, I know TLJ is polarizing, hence why I had my opinion under “Disclosure”. I’m not saying Johnson didn’t know what was going on in TFA or didn’t care, just that he seemed to go his own way with TLJ.

But yes, it’s good there is more of a seamless transition between Ms Marvel and The Marvels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks