What's new

The Marvels (2023) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ms. Marvel is in a movie?!

Ms. Marvel is an already-announced upcoming Disney+ series so I am assuming that the idea is for that character to interact with Carol in this film sequel to Carol's first film, which would explain why the title is plural.

Marvel has already demonstrated their willingness to move characters from the big screen to the Disney+ shows and back again. Teyonah Parris made her debut as the grown-up Monica Rambeau in WandaVision and she is confirmed to appear in this film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ms. Marvel is an already-announced upcoming Disney+ series so I am assuming that the idea is for that character to interact with Carol in this film sequel to Carol's first film, which would explain why the title is plural.
I knew about the show but I figured that would be somewhat self-contained or maybe she'd pop up in a movie somewhere down the road. I didn't realize that they were already putting good ol' Kamala Khan into a movie where she's one of the main characters. That should be fun.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't realize that they were already putting good ol' Kamala Khan into a movie where she's one of the main characters.

To be totally clear, that is my assumption for why the sequel title is pluralized. I don't think Disney ever officially confirmed her presence in the movie. But the title basically does it for them.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I was also a little confused when first watching this trailer and didn't see Captain Marvel 2 in the "coming soon" segment at the end. Had to watch it again to confirm the date matched what was scheduled for CM2.

I understand the reasoning behind The Marvels, but I do wonder why they don't have Captain Marvel in the title. I suppose "Captain Marvel: The Marvels" would be even more confusing!

But the other "solo" films all have the hero's (or heroes') moniker(s) in the title, even Captain America: Civil War, which is definitely a Cap film but had enough heroes for a full-on Avengers entry.

I like the character of Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel so I hope they're not de-emphasising the fact that this is the sequel to Captain Marvel. Or are they? :emoji_thinking:

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it! :cool:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
To be totally clear, that is my assumption for why the sequel title is pluralized. I don't think Disney ever officially confirmed her presence in the movie. But the title basically does it for them.

Pluralizing the title does that, but more to the point, the style of the "S" comes right from Ms. Marvel's costume. Both the Carol Danvers version of Ms. Marvel (a later costume) and Kamala Khan version.

Attachments

• Carol.jpg
    Carol.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Kamala.jpg
    Kamala.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 117

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I get that they're trying to include Carol and Ms. Marvel and perhaps even Monica as the title characters, but I've got to admit that when I first saw the title of this thread change, I was confused. It took me a second in my brain to figure out that The Marvels was the sequel to Captain Marvel. I was expecting it to be called Captain Marvel again with a subtitle. Disney must be confident with this name that they can express what the movie is without being confusing.
My first thought was that it was related to Kurt Busiek's Astro City-like title set in the Marvel Universe.

My second thought was that it was about Cap, Mary Marvel, CM3, and Uncle Dudley.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The assumption was that Captain Marvel would be the leader of the next lineup of Avengers. It seems more likely now that she will be the leader of her own cosmic superhero team, the Marvels, which will include Ms. Marvel and Photon among its ranks.

Disney did, back in December:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A set photo has leaked, via @AndrewsVisual on Twitter, of Iman Vellani in costume on the set of The Marvels, showing that her costume has evolved from the first season of "Ms. Marvel". Since it's not officially released, I'm going to put it behind spoiler tags:
Leaked set photos from The Marvels, sent straight to me first hand. #themarvels #marvel @CosmicWonderYT @IGN @DanielRPK @BingeWatchThis_ @RPK_NEWS1

Less faithful than her costume from the photos that have leaked for the first season of "Ms. Marvel", but this version plays off of Captain Marvel's uniform better and makes it feel like they're part of the same team.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks