1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Watched episode 1 last night.

What a well-written, well-produced, well-acted series (but the writing is everything!). So much fun.

I am going to do my best to pace ourselves on these eight new episodes.

[FWIW...I just recently learned that Alex Borstein played the character of Sookie in the unaired pilot of Gilmore Girls. The part went to Melissa McCarthy, though, because Borstein had other obligations when the show began production. Borstein, of course, played two other parts during the seven-year Gilmore run.]

[​IMG]

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    My wife and I are three episodes into the first season and are absolutely LOVING this show! Really, really well done.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Well, I finished season three, and it was wonderfully entertaining, but that ending! What a downer!

And now, a whole year before we see any more.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Aaargh! We accidentally watched episode 3 before episode 2.

The streaming software confuses the hell out of me. The commands just aren't intuitive for me.

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, you have to be very watchful with Prime. It often either jumps eps or puts you back into an episode you've already watched. I have had both happen to me.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Matt.

I am so happy to read your response. It is something I haven't seen addressed anywhere, so I figured I was the only one who was clumsily bumbling about.

It happened again tonight as I went to start episode 2. I started out a minute in to episode 2, hit rewind and ended up at the beginning of episode 3. It makes my head hurt.

And maybe you can help me with something else? I get to the end of a Maisel episode and the closing credits start. Before I can even grab the remote, they dump me out of the credits and into the next episode! That is ridiculous I WANT to read the credits. Why wouldn't they want me to read the credits? But I also cannot find any way to get back to the credits of the prior episode except to go back and FF through the entire episode again...but even then its dodgy if I can actually see all the credits.

7. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    That's very odd. For me, Amazon Prime is the only service that actually lets me watch the credits (which I always do) without automatically moving on the next episode (with only a few seconds to wake the remote and fumble to stop the switch). Netflix, Crave (our junky Canadian mashup service), Disney+, and Apple all quickly move to the next episode--Prime is the only one that doesn't.

Maybe it's a settings thing, Mike. Try hunting in your options. Hope you solve it!

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I use my Roku Ultra instead of my Apple TV 4K for Amazon Prime. I was able to press the back button once when the "play the next episode" window pops up at the start of the end credits, and that got me back to the end credits playing all the way through (I wanted to listen to the music playing over the credits).

Watching Amazon Prime via our Apple TV 4K box had some issues with certain 4K series, so I just stopped using it for that streaming service.

NeilO likes this.
  9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yeah, though Amazon will put up a box with the upcoming next episode (which also has the option to hide), I do get to see the credits in full if I want to, or I can hit the enter button on the remote and it goes to the next episode. How are you accessing Prime, Mike? A Blu-ray player, a streaming stick or box, or the apps built-into the TV? I'm using the AppleTV 4K.

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

The Apple 4kTV, too.

I'll have to figure out what I need to push to watch the credits. Like I said, by the time I realize we are into the credits...too late!

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

OK.

Peg and I are back on track. We've watched episode four.

I don't know how things are going to play out..but I gotta say I am quite surprised that the Palladinos went down the well-beaten path of having a star-crossed couple end up together in Vegas, get crazy drunk, and then get mistakenly married.

Really? Seems like something that's only been done a gajillion times before. In fact, they kinda had to stretch to get Joel out to Vegas to set the whole thing up (and Susie back in NYC).

12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I think the joke is that they got mistakenly remarried so quickly after going to all the trouble of getting divorced. That isn't such well-traveled territory. The fact is that they are each other's soulmates, so I'm not so sure they'll get another divorce. We'll see next season.

13. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Auditioning

Rachael
    SPOILER ALERT.

Did anyone expect Shy Baldwin turns out to be gay? Probably I did not pay enough attention, because I was really surprised

14. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I got the feeling Shy was sort of modeled after Johnny Mathis, so..... yes.

benbess and B-ROLL like this.
  15. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I don't think there was any "sort of" to it; it seemed like a direct reflection of Johnny Mathis just like Sophie Lennon is an offshoot of Phyllis Diller/Totie Fields.

B-ROLL likes this.
  16. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I would think Sophie Tucker more than Phyllis Diller, who was never that powerful.

17. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    The idea had crossed my mind. And when he admitted to Midge, I knew right then she was eventually gonna out him in her act.

Just finished the season. Really enjoyed it. Although wasn’t a fan of the seemingly out of nowhere Susie gambling debt subplot.

18. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I’ve always felt that her and Lenny Bruce were soulmates.

NeilO likes this.
  19. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    On top of that imagine if you have 3 family members all watching the same show at a different pace. Prime is so far behind the other streaming services it’s not funny. How can they not have profiles for family members?

20. Message #120 of 125 Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    NeilO

NeilO Producer

Yes, I hate the yearly kick in the teeth they do at the end of each season. This was the worse one yet. No idea what they are going to do here. Makes me think they'll end the series on a suicide.

Regarding the gambling debt subplot - I didn't think that was out of nowhere. They were building that ever since they started in Vegas. We saw Susie getting addicted to gambling little by little and getting progressively over her head.

As far as outing Shy Baldwin - I really feared she would do it, but didn't think her act did so. Guess Shy was more sensitive about the Judy Garland shoes line than I and Midge thought he should have been.

B-ROLL likes this.