What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This year’s Golden Globe winner for Best Comedy or Musical, The Martian is one of the best in Fox’s initial wave of UHD Blu-ray titles, showcasing what the new format can do for a film originally mastered in 2K for theatrical release.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This was released without 3D? Is this common? That would mean if I want to watch UHD and 3D I have to buy both blu-ray and UHD?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I believe it has already been previously announced that UHD will not be supporting 3D.
So hold on to your legacy 2K 3D Blu-ray disc if you want to view the movie in that format.

The good news is that it appears that all the new UHD Blu-ray players will support the legacy 3D Blu-ray format in addition to 2D 2K Blu-ray and SD DVD.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I believe it has already been previously announced that UHD will not be supporting 3D.
So hold on to your legacy 2K 3D Blu-ray disc if you want to view the movie in that format.

The good news is that it appears that all the new UHD Blu-ray players will support the legacy 3D Blu-ray format in addition to 2D 2K Blu-ray and SD DVD.
I thought that UHD supported 3D in HD resolution. There is an issue of whether some manufacturers will continue supporting 3D in UHD. I believe initial UHD displays do.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I tried replying to Joseph and all it did was quote him and append my reply so that it's hard to see where his comment ends and mine reply starts.

Edit: Apparently there are two views of a review and one looks very goofy, per my comment.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I thought that UHD supported 3D in HD resolution. There is an issue of whether some manufacturers will continue supporting 3D in UHD. I believe initial UHD displays do.

Actually, people have indicated to me that a HDR OLED display fed from a properly mastered UHD HDR Blu-ray will look so close to 3D (due to the incredible depth) that most people won't care about "true" 3D on the UHD format. And this is all without glasses. The "pop-outs" won't be there, but in all other respects the OLED display will "seem" 3D.

Personally, I can't wait to see this demoed!

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt

Actually, people have indicated to me that a HDR OLED display fed from a properly mastered UHD HDR Blu-ray will look so close to 3D (due to the incredible depth) that most people won't care about "true" 3D on the UHD format. And this is all without glasses. The "pop-outs" won't be there, but in all other respects the OLED display will "seem" 3D.

Personally, I can't wait to see this demoed!
It doesn't matter how many "K" a flat image has, it still won't have that looking out of a window (or into a mirror) effect that a 3-dimensional image will provide. Case in point: did a super high resolution 2 dimensional transparency shot on an 8X10 view camera ever give you that feeling? The answer is NO. And it never will.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
This movie is incredible in 4K HDR. Out of all the UHD titles I have watched one of the best. However, I think all of them so far have been pretty darn good. No complaints and I think they have all been better then the bluray versions!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have viewed the 2K bluray (1080p) already but have to wait till my Samsung UBD-K8500 arrives sometime tomorrow to watch the 4K UHD disc.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
In case you haven't noticed they have stopped selling this one on Amazon at least. Looks like a new Extended version is coming out in June. Looks like they want you to double dip right off the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks