Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough has published a new article.

The Martian: Extended Edition Blu-ray Review

martinextendtop-150x150.jpg

Having released the home video version of Ridley Scott’s The Martian a mere five months ago, Twentieth Century Fox now double dips the title...
Continue reading the original article.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Matt you have the audio at 1/5 I'm sure that's a typo, thanks for the review I will be picking this up.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
matt-hough has published a new article.

The Martian: Extended Edition Blu-ray Review

martinextendtop-150x150.jpg

Having released the home video version of Ridley Scott’s The Martian a mere five months ago, Twentieth Century Fox now double dips the title...
Continue reading the original article.

One factoid people might like to know:

The commentary is the same whether you listen to it with the theatrical cut or the EE. It was recorded for the theatrical cut, so if you play it for the EE, you just find dead air over the added scenes...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is there any listing of what the added scenes consist of?

There's a little discussion of this in the original thread for the EE.

Summary: not much. There's a totally new scene where
Watney works to complete the original NASA mission
, but the rest just adds small tidbits throughout the film. We get a few minor character beats but nothing substantial, IMO.

I prefer the theatrical cut. The EE is fine but I don't think the extra 10 minutes improve the film - indeed, it's probably superior in the shorter, tighter version...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Having seen the film several times now, I thought maybe the ten added minutes would make the movie seem a little padded or meandering, but I still got so caught up in the story that it flowed just as well for me as the theatrical version and didn't really seem longer to me even though I did notice a couple of the insertions.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Having seen the film several times now, I thought maybe the ten added minutes would make the movie seem a little padded or meandering, but I still got so caught up in the story that it flowed just as well for me as the theatrical version and didn't really seem longer to me even though I did notice a couple of the insertions.

To be sure, I don't think the EE makes the movie worse - I just don't think those scenes improve it in any way. Even the "major scene" I mentioned is pretty superfluous - I like it because it attests to Watney's work ethic, but it's still unnecessary in the greater scheme of things.

Honestly, all the EE's added scenes feel like perfect "DVD deleted scenes" to me. They're interesting enough on their own but not especially useful in narrative terms...

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
It certainly got funnier.

Sean Bean's moment of distracted horror, after warning people not to Google what Watney's worldwide curse-out meant, was priceless. I think I had a similar look on my face after discovering Goat.se.

Oh, and don't Google that unless you want to re-enact a moment from The Martian.

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman

What bothers me is that there are scenes that were DELETED in this "extended" version. It's ridiculous to delete scenes on something called "extended". I just saw the extended earlier today, and while I don't know all of the scenes deleted, I know that the scene(s) about Teddy asking for Mitch's resignation have been removed. I have a feeling about a couple of others, but want to verify that my memory is correct first.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What bothers me is that there are scenes that were DELETED in this "extended" version. It's ridiculous to delete scenes on something called "extended". I just saw the extended earlier today, and while I don't know all of the scenes deleted, I know that the scene(s) about Teddy asking for Mitch's resignation have been removed. I have a feeling about a couple of others, but want to verify that my memory is correct first.
I have just watched the extended for the first time. The resignation scene is in the extended version and seems identical to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks