The Mark of Zorro (1940): first reviews / comments

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bill Burns, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

The Cinema Laser has a review of Fox Studio Classic's The Mark of Zorro up and running; the disc is due out October 7th:

http://www.thecinemalaser.com/dvd_2003/moz-dvd.htm

Sounds like a fine disc -- I hope and trust earlier EE problems in this line have been rectified. [​IMG] Alongside Image's marvelous double feature release of The Mark of Zorro / Don Q, Son of Zorro (1920/1925), and Image's recent release, through their Hal Roach Studios label, of the serial Zorro's Fighting Legion (1939), and the recent (and still persistent) Best Buy mark down of the Superbit DVD of The Mask of Zorro (1998) to $14.95 ... Zorro fans have their fill as the year winds down! Unfortunately, of the above, I've yet only seen the Image double bill of Fairbanks features, so it remains for me to further educate myself in the tales of the masked avenger on DVD ....

By the way, if an official HTF review is imminent, please feel free to close/merge this thread. [​IMG]

2. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

3. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

The Mark of Zorro is one of my favorite movies. The DVD sounds great, and I can't wait to get it.

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

To me "The Mark of Zorro" is the only Zorro that I care to watch. I'm looking forward to retiring my LD in favor of a wonderful Studio Classics version.

5. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Can't wait to get my copy. I also think Mark of Zorro is the definitive Zorro film. I'd rank this right behind Adventures of Robin Hood as far as that era's very best Swashbucklers.

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Great review and looking forward to see this shortly indeed

[​IMG]

7. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

I actually bought a barebones copy of this in region 2 a few months ago. It was going really cheap and I couldn't resist. I wanted to save my online purchases for other titles. I don't know if Fox are going to use the same transfer for the Studio Classic but I was disappointed because it was quite grainy.

As for the film itself I'd never seen it before and while the action scenes particularly the duel between Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone are great overall its over-rated.
    I actually preferred The Mask of Zorro and Flynn's Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Sea Hawk and Adventures of Don Juan as swashbucklers. Power is just not a patch on Flynn as a swashbuckler but Fairbanks Snr was probably the best of all. I might well look into buying that Fairbanks Zorro Double Feature after such praise for it.

8. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    My copy of The Mark of Zorro turned up yesterday. While this is no 'bells and whistles' restoration by Fox - there are a few examples of print damage - I would be being picky if I called it anything less than wonderful. Nice and detailed, greys right across the scale, and a good mono track without any pops or crackles. It's the best and freshest I have ever seen it.

I don't think it's overrated; Tyrone Power is first class and the story rattles along at a cracking pace. The duel with Rathbone is one of the best committed to screen IMHO - there's a real feeling of danger here. I'm a big fan of Scaramouche, but the duelling set pieces therein do look carefully choreographed (as indeed they all were), while in TMOZ it's two men trying to kill each other!

Fabulous rousing score too. I haven't yet watched the doco, or listened to the commentary, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

---
    So many films, so little time...

9. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I too think that Mark of Zorro is the defintive Zorro. Though I'm quite pleased with the laserdisc I have so I see no need to upgrade.

10. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I like the movie, but overall, I think this might be the worst disk of the Fox Classics series. Maybe it was the quality of the print, but there seems to be a lot of damage, scratches, missing frames. I compared it to The Song of Bernadette which was released about 6 months ago, and the latter film (3 years younger) looks miles better.

Sorry, it's still a good movie.