The Mario legacy (Pre-release thread and more))

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Romier S, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Only 16 days to go until the little plumber makes his much awaited return.
    Much better than just a prerelease thread I thought it would be great to talk about our best Mario moments. No matter what kind of gamer you are I am sure all of us have played a Mario game at one time or another. Be it Super Mario Bros to Super Mario World to Yoshi's Island. The fat plumber has brought me hours of fun over the course of many Nintendo consoles and its always exciting to see the newest in his legacy finally come about.
    With that in mind I would have to say one of my favorite Mario moments was the first time I played Super Mario All Stars on the SNES. In my younger days I spent hours on end conquering Super Mario 1, 2 and 3. To see them redone with such gorgeus graphics and yet to still maintain the same level of playability was exciting to say the least.
    Every trick, almost every little intricate secret was still packed into the games. I loved All-stars and from time to time still play the SNES cart.
    I've recently booted up Super Mario 64 to get me even more jazzed up about SMS. I still have my old save game on here and I'm about 10 stars away from the full 120. Hopefully by next week I'll be at full star capacity[​IMG].
    Heres a little something I found recently and its currently residing on my desktop at home. Enjoy:
    Mario Wallpaper
    PS One rule. Anyone mutters a "Shine Get" in this thread and I will personally fly to your homes and throttle you with a water backpack. You've been warned[​IMG]

2. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

A: Thanks for the new wallpaper. I love it.

B: Super Mario Bros for the NES was my first videogame ever, and I'll never forget it. Hours and hours spent trying to save my poor princess. I was 12, and terrible at videogames. Actually I still am terrible at videogames, but thanks to the helpful folks on the Internet I can finally play like a pro. My brother and I used to be lucky to get to level 4 until one day my friend came over and showed me the infinite lives trick somewhere on the third world. You know, the one where you repeatedly bash that poor Koopa on the stairs... Good times...

C: What's "Shine get!" (Be sure to stick your water backpack in the fridge before heading out here to 'throttle me,' it's f'n hot out here in CA!) Seriously, though, what's "Shine get?"

Pieter

3. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I'd honestly say watching my younger brother playing Super Mario Bros. 3 & sister playing Super Mario 64 (on my systems,of course..) & getting into videogames themselves.

Super Mario 64 was something else,though...gods, that is an awesome game...

Calvin

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

"Shine Get" is a Japanese slogan that somehow carried over here, they love slogans in English even if it's bad horrible English. Nintendo does that all the time, like why they abbriviate Nintendo Gamecube GCN (GemuCubo no Nintendo in Japanese), AND why the B button came before the A on the NES (Japanese is read right to left)

The Mario games are usually good, but I can't say that ad they're running makes me want to buy it whatsoever

5. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Being able to fly in SMB 3.

Talking to a bunch of friends in the 5th grade about finding the first whistle in Super Mario 3.

I love them all, but IMO Mario 64 is the best ever made.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Yeah, that current ad for SMS is kinda weird. I think it's funny, though.

"Shine Get!" was going to be the little thing that would pop up whenever you "got" a "shine" in Super Mario Sunshine, but for the American version it was changed to "Shine!"

7. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

They changed it? I thought "Shine Get" was going to remain in the American version.

Oh well.

8. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Getting 100 lives in the original Mario for NES!!!!!!

Beating Super Mario 3 without losing a life!!!!!!!

9. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

Super Mario Bros. was my first video game, too. I've played every Mario game since and love all of them, even the oft-overlooked Game Boy games.
    Best Mario moments? I'd have to say the release of Super Mario Bros. 3. That was truly an event -- the anticipation for it was enormous. I remember seeing glimpses of it for the first time in the movie "The Wizard." When it was finally released, I had to call Toys R Us repeatedly until they finally had it in stock. I was the first kid in the neighborhood to have it. [​IMG]
    And the best part was that it completely lived up to the hype. It's still one of the best games ever.
    These last two weeks are going to kill me! I want Mario Sunshine now!

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Yup, I remember seeing The Wizard for the SMB3 shots too. I wonder whatever happened to that movie...

Easily my favorite Super Mario game.

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I have the Wizard on LD [​IMG]
    God is it horrible

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The Wizard... Is that the movie with the autistic kid or something, who goes to this huge video game competition where theres a 'surprise game', and it turns out to be SMB3?

13. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

That ad is bizarre as hell, but it made my girlfriend interested, so I'm not complaining, since she normally hates gaming (well, the kind I do :p)).
    My favorite Mario moment has to be riding around in Kiribo's Shoe in SMB3. It was just there for that one level, but damn was it ever fun. Oh, also beating all those super hard levels in Mario World. Definitely my least favorite Mario game, though it was still a blast, but I was pulling my hair out with some of those jumps.
    Close runner-up would be the first time Yoshi got socked by one of those puffs in Yoshi's Island and started tripping out, turning the landscape into the most dementedly hard puzzle in any Mario game. I lost many, many lives to drugs.
    Also: [C]SHINE GET!!!!![/C]
    [​IMG]

14. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

15. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Ahh The Wizard. What a fine film.

I still remember beating Super Mario Bros. for the first time. Took me all afternoon, after countless months of practice.

Good points about the hype for Super Mario 3. I was in fifth grade at the time and one of my friends had it the day it came out. He was good enough to let me borrow it for the first weekend after its release.

Romier, I've also been playing Super Mario 64 in anticipation for Sunshine. In addition to the outstanding gameplay, the game also had some great tunes.

Only a few more weeks 'til Shine occupies my time.

16. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    An earlier post just reminded me of my favorite Mario moment. This is going to take a while to explain:

When I was employed as editor of Computer Shopper, I lived on Roosevelt Island, an island in the East River between New York City and Queens. I was about 37-38 at the time.

No cars were allowed on the island so we rode a little red tram bus that made the rounds from our apartment buildings to the subway station (and the subway train that took us over to NYC.) The local kids also rode this bus to get to their school on the island.

This was just after the release of the original Gameboy and I was sitting on the bus one morning playing Mario on my Gameboy while riding to the subway station.

Suddenly a group of school kids got on and immediately spotted me playing Gameboy. They crowded around looking over my shoulder and started yelling suggestions enthusiastically -- not in a negative but in a helpful, encouraging way. Finally, one kid said, "Hey, you guys, he doesn't need help. He looks like he knows what he's doing."

Needless to say, from that day forward I was the most popular adult on the Roosevelt Island busline. At least with the kids. We had fun exchanging tips on playing and finding secrets, etc.

It was a wonderful reminder to me what a leveler videogames can be. Even though I was 25-30 years older than these kids, we were all brought together by our love of videogames. And we were all equals.

17. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I can most certainly share some of the same joys others of expressed so far in this thread: the magic of playing the original Super Mario Bros. for the first time; the thrill of finally finding Super Mario Bros. 3 after weeks of searching for it everywhere; the frustration of finding all the exits in Super Mario World; the even greater frustration of beating the ridiculously difficult Lost Levels from Super Mario All-Stars without warping; the amusement of seeing Yoshi freak out over those goof balls as well as the Baby Mario's annoying cry for help; and then of course there was the unreal experience of playing Super Mario 64 for the first time.
    Still, some of my favorite Mario moments have only come in the last few years, thanks to my 6 year-old niece, Melissa. One day, when she was very little--maybe only 18 months old--I showed her Super Mario 64. From that moment on, she was hooked. Obviously she didn't have the motor skills or the coordination to play the game (she really doesn't have those skills even now), but that didn't mean she couldn't hold one of my extra controllers and pretend. In particular, she loved the slides, and to this day insists on visiting the Princess's Slide when we play the game together.
    One of the most adorable things she used to do when she was first learning to talk was repeat Mario's name after he said "It's-ah me! Mario!" on the main title screen of SM64. And when Mario's head popped up on the screen and shouted out, "Hello!" she would shout it right back at him just the way he says it.
    This past March, Melissa received a Game Boy Advance for her birthday and a copy of the Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World. Of the three games she has, she plays that one the most. Now, whenever she comes over, we play the Super NES version of that game on my big TV.
    I eagerly await the arrival of Super Mario Sunshine because I know that she and I will have loads of fun discovering the new wonders of that game together.
    Does anyone know if the new game will have any slides? [​IMG]

18. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Bob_L,
    Very cool story!

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Some good stuff here guys! Keep it coming!
    Bob L and Jeffrey Forner,
    Both fantastic stories[​IMG].
    Another moment I wanted to share was the first time I got to the last Bowser encounter in Super Mario World. The first time I actually hit Bowser and his helicopter "clown" airship flew up towards the screen with a nice "mode 7" effect. I was amazed. Truly one of my most remembered boss battles.
    (Only 2 more weeks guys!!)

20. Robert Standefer

Robert Standefer Stunt Coordinator

Jeez, am I the only one who remembers playing Super Mario Bros at the arcade? I had loved the original Mario Bros, playing it with my brother, so Super Mario Bros was even more exciting.

I loved Super Mario 2 even though it wasn't a "true" Mario game. It was so Japanese.

I was also enticed by The Wizard's marketing of SMB3. I even used the trick for the first whistle as it's shown in the movie. SMB3 was truly an incredible game.

I had so much fun with Super Mario World. I beat all 96 levels. The Star Road was so freaking hard! I remember getting very excited about the way Mario moved on the fence, and could change sides. That game pushed the envelope.

Super Mario 64 was an achievement. The level design in that game is simply superb. I pick it up and play it every now and then. The camera got on my nerves, but the game was still very fun.

I own Super Mario Sunshine for Japanese GC and I must say, it's very cool. It's not quite the advance SMB3 was over the previous games, or Mario 64 over SMB3 and SMW, but it's a worthy addition.

This may shock you, but I think the best Mario game ever is Paper Mario for N64. It has a little of everything, with a whole lot of new stuff. It may appear to be a kid's game, but it's not anymore a kid's game than the other Marios. Give it a try.