What's new

The Mariners the best baseball team??? Yeah, right! (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
quote: I agree on Montreal being a lost cause, but that is just not a baseball town. And even they have had the best team in the NL as recent as 94 and if they had simply spent on KEEPING their own talent, they would be one of the best teams in MLB right now.[/quote]
Do you think the Expos willingly let their star players go? It's true, they had some extremely talented young players, but since they're a small market team, they couldn't pony up the cash to keep them from bolting to large market teams. As much as Yankees fans say that much of their talent is homegrown, they were able to afford to sign them to long term contracts, which gives them the advantage over small market teams.
[Edited last by Richard Kim on October 26, 2001 at 02:02 PM]

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Since you were around at the time you should know better then to say stupid things like Boston thought Ruth was "washed up". They knew he was a valuable asset and they needed the cash in order to save the franchise, so they sold him to the Yankees. Isn't that a prime example of the Yank's buying a player?
"Save the franchise" HA -- the Sox owner wanted money to produce a Broadway play -- thus was born the curse of the Bambino -- the Sox can't win cause they sold off Ruth for no good reason.
My only problem with baseball (and Yankee) fans -- they're not loud or rude ENOUGH. Having grown up going to soccer games I was amazed at how placid baseball fans were.
Ted

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Save the franchise" HA -- the Sox owner wanted money to produce a Broadway play -- thus was born the curse of the Bambino -- the Sox can't win cause they sold off Ruth for no good reason.
Ted, the owner had already produced the play and it was a bust. Deeply in debt, he needed the money in order to keep the franchise solvent.

Users who are viewing this thread