What's new

The Mariners and Yankees--May the best team win (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think the American League Division Series (both the M's-Indians/Yanks-A's) prove that whomever wins the first game of the series (regardless if it's home or away) will not necessarily win the series.
The ALCS will go 6 or 7 games!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
quote: So Posada was safe, but Giambi was definitely out at home?[/quote]
You've got it. Very bad fundamental play on Posada, a bad tag. The throw obviously beat him, the tag didn't.
Who's Giambi? Link Removed
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 18, 2001 at 03:17 PM]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Wow, who'd have thunk they'd take both in Seattle? Back to the Bronx.
(btw, it's pretty obvious to me that that ball did hit the grass first.
smile.gif
)
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
(btw, it's pretty obvious to me that that ball did hit the grass first. )
Yeah, but we all know if that was Bernie Williams it would've been called an out. Kinda-like the mirage that Jeter didn't have his foot in the air when the ball arrived at second.
smile.gif

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Ah you gotta love bitter Yankee haters
I'll be bitter until they kick all those idiots involved in the '99 ALCS out of the game. Al Clark finally got the boot this year for auctioning off his hoard of David Wells' autographed perfect game balls.
I despise Selig far more for not doing anything to correct the umpiring situation at the time or when he had the chance to fire them all. Even some folks in Detriot back me up on the '99 rigging. I lost all faith in umpire fairness watching that series.
Link Removed
or when Kent Hrbek yanked Ron Gant's leg off of 1B and the ump actually called him out
Don't forget check google for "Tim Tschida Blows" Link Removed

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Ah you gotta love bitter Yankee haters
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
Same whining conspiracy theorists every year. I do enjoy every post, though, makes it that much more fun.
tongue.gif

I don't think this one's over, but you can't do much better than taking the first two away.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was mildly amusing when Lou Pinella opened his post game press conference by stating that the Mariners would be back to play game 6 in Seattle next week. He's obviously hoping that his team, which won 5 of 6 at Yankee stadium during the season, will win at least 2 of 3 this weekend. I think he's forgotten that his team has not been battle-tested over course of the season, but the Yankees just know how to turn it up a notch, do the little things that make differences in these big playoff games.
And this is coming from a non-fan of the Yankees.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I have been truly surprised throughout the entire Championship Series. The evil Yankees still have the look of a champion. God, when will it end?
frown.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
From Art Thiel's column in the Seattle P-I.

"Before we get to the questions, I want to say something," Piniella said in the interview room afterward. Whacking the table for emphasis, Piniella said, "We're going to be back here for Game 6, OK? I told the people (gathered outside the clubhouse) the same thing. Now you can ask any question you want."
Stunned, the local and national media sputtered.
Finally: Well, Lou, why?
"I've got confidence in my baseball team. We've gone to New York and beat this baseball team five out of six times, and we're going to do it again."
Quickly recovering their senses about a good story angle, the consensus was:
The old Lou was back.
Cool."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm late to the party, but Ric already has it going.
I think I told Mike last year that I was certain the A's would grab it all this year. I went to an M's/A's game right before the All-Star break in Seattle (great stadium BTW) and the A's were already looking strong. Given their awesome finish I thought it was all but over.
I was comfortable with that thought. The Yanks have won enough to satisfy me. When they went down 0-2 it seemed certain.
Yet DJ's play at home seemed to break them. In game 5 they looked like a beaten team. I guess the Yanks just have that "thing" that allows them to play big in big games.
Save the "theories" please - the Yanks have a lock on bad calls like the M's have a small payroll. Did you see Garcia getting calls well-off the plate, because I did. I saw Moose and Freddie put the same pitch in the same place and it was a ball for Moose and not for Freddie. But you know what, rather than going ballistic and preparing my "that was rigged" diatribe I said "well, that's baseball, Garcia has won the ump over by putting it there consistently I guess".
Only Yankee-haters are blind to the bad calls that happen in favor of other teams all the time.
Anyway, even as a lifer Yankee fan who loves this team (except Knobby and Clemens), I also really enjoy both the A's and the M's. I was high on Ichiro before a single game and drafted him to my fantasy team (which was a great move). He is my 2nd favorite MLB player behind Jeter and I respect the hell out of his game (I love all the infield singles or seeing-eye choppers that bring in the runs - the guy is OLD SCHOOL in the best possible way). I also enjoy the rest of the M's team and was happy to see the "big 3" loss work out so well for them.
So I am really enjoying seeing these teams play and was thankful that Ichiro didn't get to the plate in the 9th of game 2 (whew).
It hit me though watching this series that we are seeing legends in the making, not just a good team like the Blue Jays from the early 90's, but one of those teams that people remember forever. Like the 27 Yanks or the 75 Reds/Red Sox, etc. The core roster has been there the whole time and due to so much big time, primetime play they are becoming household names - Jeter, Bernie, Tino, Brosius, Pauly, Rivera, Pettite. We will remember them like people remember Tinkers-Evers-Chance.
Love em or hate em now, but in 40 years we will be telling the youngsters about seeing one of the greatest teams ever. It seems a little surreal to be here at the time. I can't ask the Yankee haters to be happy about it, only to appreciate it for what it is. I'm also thankful for great teams like the A's and M's to compete against to give the Yankee effort some legitimacy. It's not like they are winning against patsy teams.
And if the M's comeback to win it will help solidify their greatness to add to their win total by beating the 3 time champs. Either way if the AL winner wins the WS, the team will be considered great.
Not to diss the Braves, but they barely got by the Phillies, didn't have the win total, and don't have the WS rings. At this point they are more like the A's of the 80's/90's, strong but not great.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Another point of view on the same incident, from NJ Star-Ledger, Mike Vaccaro:
SEATTLE -- The clubhouse door swung open and out stepped Lou Piniella. His ace was flushed after watching his ballclub play like frightened kids for a second straight night. His voice was quivering and hoarse, evidence that he told those frightened kids essentially the same thing.
The Mariners manager had his uniform jersey off, and he was clutching a blue warmup jacket in his hands. He was supposed to be gathering his thoughts for the short walk to the interview room, where he would undoubtedly testify on behalf of his team, 3-2 losers to the Yankees last night.
But Piniella couldn't wait.
He stopped, just outside the clubhouse door, and delivered this extemporaneous valedictory:
"I'm going to tell you this so y'all can hear it," Piniella said, slowing his drawl down to a crawl so everyone in the narrow corridor could absorb every syllable. "We're gonna be back here to play Game 6. Print it. You don't have to ask any questions. Just print it."
Then he stalked off, eager to paraphrase that rant in front of the world. And as he did, there was one very clear message left behind in his vapor trail.
There is no way the Mariners will be back here for Game 6.
Just making it to Game 5 suddenly seems a most improbable task.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Like the 27 Yanks.....The core roster has been there the whole time and due to so much big time, primetime play they are becoming household names - Jeter, Bernie, Tino, Brosius, Pauly, Rivera, Pettite. We will remember them like people remember Tinkers-Evers-Chance.
Quick, name seven players from the 27 Yankees!
Besides a hardcore Yankee fan and perhaps the rare fan/historian, the vast majority of baseball fans even hardcore fans would probably get stuck after naming Ruth and Gerhig and perhaps one more player. Forty years from now it will be no different for this current team.
Out of the seven players listed above only one or two of them might put together a HoF career. The others while being remembered as part of a great team, stand little or no chance of becoming part of baseball lore like Tinkers, Evers or Chance.
This isn’t a slap at this or any past Yankee team but rather just an example of the cold hard reality of baseball fame. Only the big stars weather the passage of time while the supporting players just fade away.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
HOF:
Rivera- Definitely
Jeter-Yes (Although, ARod and Nomar will too and also continue to put up better numbers in the field and at the plate. Vizquel will be stiffed unless he hangs around 8-10 more years to get 3000 hits.)
Bernie-A few years ago, yes. Now, it looks like no.
Tino- No way
Pauly - Same chance as the dugout bathroom surviving his next called strike 3 call
Pettite- No way
Brosius-Ha, Ha, Ha
You missed Bobby Welch II though- a HOF definite Link Removed
To be remembered in 75 years and beyond you need to be part of a slogan or nickname and top notch talent. i.e. Spahn and Sain, "Shoeless" Joe, The Babe, "The Splendid Splinter," "Lefty" Grove, ...
For example, Joe Carter was a great player, hit a WS winning HR a few years ago, and will be up for HOF in a few years, but his name is almost forgotten already.
I wonder if by the time Ichiro retires, he'll put up HOF numbers since he's a 27 year old Rookie? If he continues at just All-Star pace he will likely get in through extrapolation of his Japanese stats like they are currently doing with players with high Negro League stats and not much MLB experience.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It seems there are more avowed green-eyed Yankee-haters in this thread than actual fans of teams. Cool!
History, HOF, bla,bla,bla, this series is what's important right now. I think it'll go more than four, meself.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seth
Thanks for including me with those other great Yankee players. I can't wait to be a household name.
biggrin.gif

BTW, although I am a long time Mets fan, I have always liked the Yankees too, so I am happy to report that I've got 8th row box seats for Sunday night's game at Yankee Stadium. Da Bronx will be rockin'.
Go New York! :)
TINO
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I wish the Mariners could carry some of those runners over.
wink.gif

It's a series again...until tomorrow maybe. The matchup certainly favours NY. Abbott was dreadful in relief in the Cleveland series. One can only hope Roger Ramjet puffs himself into a tissy for tomorrow's game. :)
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...9, 8 7 to go!

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Something tells me today was the last we'll see of Wohlers in the post-season (and probably as a Yankee).
Remember Hideki Irabu?

RicP

Screenwriter
Yikes!
The Yanks bullpen implodes. Well I didn't think it was gonna be a sweep, The M's didnt win 116 for nothing.
Hopefully the Yanks can write it off and get back to basics with Roger on the mound.
How about the D-Backs!!!!
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks