The Many Loves of DOBIE GILLIS -- any chance for this one?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeffrey Nelson, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Since my main TV must-have has already been released in its sterling entirety about as perfect as can be (The Dick Van Dyke Show), I'm now waiting for two other that I actually grew up on (didn't get into TDVDS until within the last few years): Leave It To Beaver, which is apparently in the works, and The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis, which I remember as being an exceedingly clever and quirky show. Who owns this one, and has anyone heard any rumors of a possible DVD release? You can snag (presumably unauthorized) DVD-Rs of them here and there, but I want the real deal--seasons 1-4 in individual box sets, with as many extras as can be dredged up, including the made-for-TV reunion film "Bring Me The Head Of Dobie Gillis".

This show has to be Bob Denver's finest hour, but the whole cast is fantastic.

2. Jason-D

Jason-D Agent

According to the IMDB, 20th Century Fox Television and Martin Manulis Productions were the producers for this show. I don't know who the current rights holders are. I am too young to have seen this first run but I really liked the few episodes that I saw when Nick at Nite ran this briefly many years ago. I would probably buy it anyway they might release, even if it was only "Best of".

3. Gregory V

Gregory V Stunt Coordinator

I would LOVE to see this show come out. I just love a lot of the crazy characters. His parents were great, as were Chatsworth Osborne and his mother (Doris Packer) I can just hear her saying CHATSWORTH YOU NASSSSSSTY BOY!!!

4. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I've seen every episode of this sitcom when CBN reran it in the early 1980s, and I loved it....well, except for Dobie's friend Zelda (played by Sheila James, who is now a U.S. congresswoman). Zelda was an interesting character, and purposely ugly. Yet she was one of the women in Dobie's life. Zelda was also a strong character, and during those years through high school and college she stuck around (except during that period where Dobie and Maynard enlisted in the peacetime Army).
    Sexy Tuesday Weld played Thalia Menniger during the first season 1959-1960. Unfortunately for Dobie, she was dating Milton Armitage (Warren Beatty, who didn't even make it past the first half of the year). But even then Dobie was dating a different girl in almost every episode.
    It was also in that first year, in which Darryl Hickman (Dwayne's older brother) played Davey Gillis.
    The second season wisely shortened the name of the show to Dobie Gillis and even shortened the theme song and dropped the animated opening. The Army episodes were for a couple of months early in 1961, and when they didn't work out Dobie & Maynard came home and went to college the following fall.
    During the fourth season in 1962-63, Tuesday Weld returned to guest star as Thalia. It was the first time she had been seen in nearly 3 years. By then a successful career woman, she tried to get Dobie's life on track but didn't have much luck. But she had an ulterior motive as Thalia often did...

5. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

You're also forgetting the very forgettable unsold pilot made in 1977 called Whatever Happened to Dobie Gillis. Produced by James Komack, it originally had a script written by Max Shulman who had created the show. Komack got rid of him, telling him he didn't know the characters. And Komack was proud to say he had never seen an episode of the show which qualified him to do it. Definitely for completists only.

But getting back to the show, Fox owns it which means I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell of it ever being released. This is a company that won't put out their really popular shows so I don't think we'll live long enough for Dobie. Unless at some point they care so little about it that they license it out to someone else, like Image. So far they have not done that with any of their product. They may be a little gunshy about that. In the earliest days of home video, they licensed 50 of their movies to a guy named Andre Blay. He formed a company called Magnetic Video and he payed Fox a few hundred thousand dollars for the movies. Fox executives, being the intuitive and foresighted bunch that they are, thought they hoodwinked Andre, giving him movies that were at least 5 years old and that had played on TV many times. They probably didn't think it so funny when his company did great and they bought it from him a year and a half later for 7.7 million dollars. So they may be a little hesitant to make any more licensing deals.

6. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

7. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

8. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

All I'm saying is that Maynard G. Krebs from the Dobie Gillis series is Bob Denver's most outstanding work. As dimwitted as Maynard was, he was certainly more believable than Gilligan (and not just because Gilligan didn't have a last name).

Gilligan's Island has already been played to death uncut on TBS and other channels in reruns for years, and those film prints are of pristine quality. How does a digital restoration look any different? I watched the show when I was a kid, but I wouldn't collect it.

9. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

I'd love to see Dobie Gillis released on DVD! I watched it all the time on CBN and then on Nick at Nite. I loved the quirky, madcap feel of the show, the fast pace, and the distinct rhythms of the dialogue. One episode that stands out in my mind involved Zelda's attempt to win Dobie by recording a hit record. I remember her managing, in the course of a few minutes, to record the song and get it on the radio.
    Count me in if this ever gets released!

10. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Since this show seems to be trapped in rights hell, thanks to Max Shulman's estate, I thought some of you might be interested to know that the national feed of ME-TV, which started a few weeks ago, is running the show complete, uncut and remastered. It airs a staggering 11 new episodes a week on their current schedule. At that rate, the whole series can be recorded in about 3 and a half months. They have quite a few other series on there that might be of interest as well.

11. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
    That they've got remastered and uncut episodes would possibly indicate there is hope for a dvd release? the # of channels that would run an old series like that are dwindling down to a select few -- not when they can run My 2 Dads or Everyone Likes Jim or whatever...

12. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    No, it doesn't - the estate is still holing out. New prints were struck up for the channel as it hasn't been broadcast anywhere for years!

13. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    I never heard of ME-TV, but it was easy enough to confirm that I don't get it -- OF COURSE. (Comcast.)

14. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
    Wow, that channel must have a lot of clout then. Of course some major wrinkle in a release probably means that things will never get solved. Be a little optimistic -- think like Ted Williams (not the frozen bobblehead, the Ohio guy)...

15. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Syndication rights have never been an issue, it's alway been handled by Fox's 20th Television.

16. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    Well, I don't know how all of these are related, or if they are, but we've also never had Fox Movie Channel and MGM-HD, to name a couple that come to mind.

17. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

If you have a C-band satellite dish, you can find it on there.

18. Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney Supporting Actor

I don't have ME-TV either despite it going national.

19. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    They'll be signing up stations shortly.

20. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    Okay, I've got to come back to this one again as "Dobie GIllis" was my favorite comedy series as a youngster. So, if anyone knows, how does the Max Shulman estate have final say over this series which is owned by Fox. I sincerely doubt that Shulman wrote all or, in fact, any of the episodes. I doubt that Erle Stanley Gardner's estate could have stood in the way of the "Perry Mason" series being released on DVD. Fox paid for the shows to be written, filmed and edited, hence, aren't they really Fox's property? I don't think that Margaret Mitchell or Lew Wallace's progeny could stand in the way of "GWTW" or "Ben-Hur" releases by the studios that owned them. Still, I recall the big brouhaha between the Gershwin estate and the release of Preminger's "Porgy and Bess". Well, evidently that's been settled now. Still no sign of a release date down the road for "Porgy and Bess", which is a real shame. I watched a complete 35mm print recently at LACMA. But, back to "Dobie", if there are new prints of the episodes and the original elements used are in good shape, what is the problem? And, if the Max Shulman estate does somehow control the series, do they intend to wait until the audience that remembers this show are safely in their graves. Then they won't make a dime. And, it will serve the greedy little bastards right! It's just sad that Dwayne Hickman won't see this released as I know he has rallied around it.