What's new

The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh DVD (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
One thing that bugs me about Disney's DVD's is that the quality control on the actual disc seems very lax compared to other companies. I bought 3 Disney DVD's Wednesday: Winnie the Pooh, Swiss Family Robinson, and Old Yeller. Winnie the Pooh has all this speckly stuff all over the surface of the disc. In the animation of the bee buzzing around on the menu there is a brief line across the lower section at the beginning of the cycle when the counter is at about 1 or 2 seconds. Can anyone else confirm for me that this appears on their copy? Because if not, this may be an indicator that she speckles are problematic and there may be other glitches on the disc. Also both discs on Old Yeller had smudges, which fortunately I was able to mostly but not completely wipe off. And the bonus disc of Swiss Family Robinson has a circular scrape that won't wipe off but may not affect the play of the disc. So thats 4 of the 5 actual discs I bought had surface blemishes. I get occasional blemishes from other manufacturers but not at anywhere near the rate of Disney.

BillM

Auditioning
Rob,
Sounds like most of your complaints are about the physical condition of the disks themselves. Disney does not press the disks, this seems like an issue with the pressing plant. Remember they run off hundreds of thousands of disks at one time. I doubt anyone looks at everyone of them.
Usually you can easily exchange these disks if you feel the condition of them is less than perfect.
The real issue is - How do they play and how do they look and sound on your system.
WM:)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I watched it the other day and was satisfied with it. I wasn't really watching as a DVD critic though.

A TON of trailers for all sorts of crap though...although the Schoolhouse Rock trailer is on there too. YAY!

I've been meaning to mess with the extras a bit. I did watch part of the 4th short "A Day for Eeyore" which is not as good as the first 3. I also watched the Tigger Song sing-along - standard small child fare there.

As a film it still holds up. It reminded me just how strong the film is in the Disney library. Way up there for me.

Lafe F

Second Unit
A TON of trailers for all sorts of crap though...although the Schoolhouse Rock trailer is on there too. YAY!
There's no Schoolhouse Rock trailer on the Canadian disc, which has a little maple leaf logo on the back of the case. I guess Schoolhouse Rock had much American-themed material.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The prints for the three shorts and for "Many Adventures" were 1.33:1. This is a fact.

If that's a fact then the case is settled. Everyone buy them without a worry. These were definitely "made for TV" animations whether or not they were ever shown matted in a theater.

-dave

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I guess Schoolhouse Rock had much American-themed material.
About 1/4 of the Schoolhouse Rock Shows produced were concerned with the history and/or the governmental system of the USA.

Back on topic: I was very pleased that they included the "Day for Eeyore" short. That was the last one Disney made that seemed strongly based on the Milne stories, even though its production values were somewhat noticeably less than the three shorts that preceded it.

Regards,

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Well, this is what I think about it, not that it matters.:D
Bought it/watched it last night. (Circuit City marked as $19.99 rang up as $16.99)
Very pleased with the disc. Video looked great to my eyes. Occassionally the audio would fade a little, but overall very good. Love the menus, very easy to navigate and well laid out. The "making of" piece was informative. It's amazing to see the voice of Tigger coming out of a humans face. :laugh: Not sure if I liked Carly Simon's version of the Pooh song or not, need to watch it again.
Not sure how long it had been since I had seen this but it all came flooding back as I watched it. What a great bunch of characters.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
In the animation of the bee buzzing around on the menu there is a brief line across the lower section at the beginning of the cycle when the counter is at about 1 or 2 seconds. Can anyone else confirm for me that this appears on their copy?
I checked this at lunch just now and it's on my disc as well so it's not unique to your disc. It's a very minor glitch which wouldn't even elicit an "oh bother" from Pooh himself. However, Eeyore is another story. ;)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
My English DVD (has the Canadian flag on the back) has the School House Rock Trailer on it. It is one of the selections under Sneak Peaks. I picked it up at the Costco in Gatineau Quebec. Are you sure you did not simply miss it? I cannot imagine that there are two different English versions of this DVD in Canada.

To keep it on topic, my son (19-months old) just loves this DVD.

Chris

RayRho

Auditioning
Just watched it last night. Am I crazy, or is there a song missing from Pooh & the Honey Tree? While Pooh is stuck in Rabbit's front hole, I could swear they sang "Mind over Matter" in its entirety. Is singing about making the Pooh unfatter fostering a risk of offending somebody? I keep wondering if Disney is editing their cartoons much like I see on WB's cartoons.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Well, I don't know about your disc, but on mine, mind over matter is sung in its entirety. I'm not sure I can see how they would even manage to edit it out of the film considering how much important action is taking place during that song. Anyways, it's all there on mine, unfatter and all.

If anything I would have expected a retouch on Roo's line when he calls piglet a kike instead of a kite. I've tried and tried to hear ti as kite, but I always distinctly hear the k sound at the end which convinces me it was the childs mispronunciation. doesn't bother me, as such speech impediments and goofs are common among young children, but I was concerned that it might have gotten edited out or replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks