What's new

The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh DVD (1 Viewer)

MarkBurton

Second Unit
From DVDFile:
Due way in spring on 5/7 is a 25th Anniversary Edition of The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh. Presented in full frame, this special edition includes a new Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, "A Day For Eeyore" featurette, behind-the-scenes footage, a never-before-seen music video of "The Winnie The Pooh Theme Song" by Carly Simon, DVD storybook, sing-a-long,, interactive games, and a sneak peek at the 2003 theatrical release "Piglet's Big Movie." Retail is $24.95.
So, as far as the Animated Classics go, it looks like this is the release schedule so far...
Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs (Platinum) 10/9
Dumbo (60th Anniversary)10/23
Atlantis (Regular and Collector's Edition) 1/29
Peter Pan (Special Edition) 2/12
Hunchback of Notre Dame 3/19
The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh 5/7
[Edited last by MarkBurton on November 16, 2001 at 09:29 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The key words here are "Presented in Full Frame".
IMDB shows a 1.75:1 OAR for this film. Here we go again!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I just sent them an e-mail telling them to present this film, and all thier other films in thier proper aspect ratios. I also told them that by catering to the least common denominator, they risk alienating thier customers. Click on the link below to do the same. Eveyone who want's OAR on all DVD's should send them an e-mail.
http://studio.go.com/cgi-bin/gmail/g...us/contact.tpl

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I could have sworn that the 3 shorts this is sourced from were academy ratio. Is it possible that the 'movie' version was presented cropped in the theaters?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that Michael is right. The source material cobbled together for the feature is Academy ratio. Given that circumstance, not using widescreen on this one is preferable.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The earliest short collected in this film is Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree from 1966. Disney's main animated feature from this time was The Jungle Book from 1967, which also has never appeared letterboxed on home video and also looks pretty good at 4:3. Does anyone know how Disney was producing their animated films in the 60s and 70s?
None of their laserdiscs & DVDs of animated films from the 60s to mid-70s have been letterboxed that I am aware of unless one counts live-action hybrids such as Mary Poppins, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, or Pete's Dragon. This includes 101 Dalmations, Pooh, Aristocats, Jungle Book, and Sword in the Stone. Come to think of it, The Fox and the Hound has never been letterboxed, either, although I believe its predecessor, The Rescuers was letterboxed on laserdisc.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on September 25, 2001 at 09:57 AM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
As 'shorts', they are likely to be academy ratio even if some of the 'features' made at Disney around the same time were framed wider.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
IMDB shows a 1.75:1 OAR for this film. Here we go again!
Keep in mind that the IMDB is not always accurate. (But I'm not sure if this is the case this time or not.)

I have no idea about this movie, but many other animated movies are animated at Academy Ratio (4:3), but are storyboarded so that the top and bottom can be matted off without any loss of important information. Some examples of movies that use this technique are "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm", "Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker", and "The Transformers: The Movie". (But again, I have no idea whether this is the case with Pooh.)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea about this movie, but many other animated movies are animated at Academy Ratio (4:3), but are storyboarded so that the top and bottom can be matted off without any loss of important information. Some examples of movies that use this technique are "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm", "Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker", and "The Transformers: The Movie". (But again, I have no idea whether this is the case with Pooh.)
The trouble is that MAoWtP isn't about just one item's OAR, it's about 3 OAR's!

The three shorts which make up the feature "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" (1977) are:

"Winnie-the-Pooh and the Honey Tree" (1966),

"Winnie-the-Pooh and the Blustery Day" (1968), and

"Winnie-the-Pooh and Tigger Too" (1974).

Where/how where each of these shorts first shown? Where they made for television? Shown in theaters in front of movies? Made for the Disney Parks?

The combined feature, "The Many Adventures...", was shown in widescreen (1.75:1, per the IMDB). Were the original features also widescreen?

I'm probably buying this regardless of the OAR of the FILM, because I'm certain that at least "The Honey Tree" was 4:3 OAR, based on some stuff I've read in the past. I'll try to nail down precise info for all three and pass it on to you guys here. If someone else finds it first, go ahead an post it!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I will be picking this one up in May, though I'm not sure if the DVD cover will be just like the video one they show.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Also, why does it say "August 2002" - maybe the video is coming after the DVD? I thought the May 7th date has been set for the DVD for a while now?

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Where/how where each of these shorts first shown? Where they made for television? Shown in theaters in front of movies? Made for the Disney Parks?
Back in the sixties I saw "Honey Tree" in a UK cinema, as a support for a Disney main feature. However, I cannot recall the ratio.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm still excited. I have only known these films as they appeared on "The Wonderful World of Disney" on Sunday nights (and therefore Academy Ratio).

I'm certainly pro-OAR, we just want to make sure what that is for the feature.

If the features first played on TV and were then put together for theatrical release with cropping, then I would say that the 4:3 ratio would be the proper one.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Call me stupid if you want, but please explain to me how that is possible.
Well, 1.33:1 is the OAR, but I think he meant you can watch it in 1.75:1 matted down, without a compromise. I'd disagree of course, and would rather watch it in its 1.33:1 OAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks