What's new

The Mandalorian on 4K? (1 Viewer)

drdave319

Agent
Real Name
David E. Gillespie II
Does anyone know if Disney plans to release the Mandalorian on physical discs (hopefully 4K) anytime soon?
I haven't seen or heard a thing on it but with Disney's history of putting EVERYTHING on disc to make a buck, I would expect that with its popularity, The Mandalorian would be a definite release!

Thanks!

Dave

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hard to say IMO. It could be that at this point in time, Disney is more interested in using shows like The Mandalorian to continue driving subscribers to Disney+. We may not see a physical release anytime soon if that's the case.

Yeah I Dont think Disney is in a hurry to release any of its Newer Content. on Physical. my view is We are likely looking at a year or 2 if that

I am a Fan of the ESPN 30 for 30 series and was collecting those on DVD. Yet, it seems that those are all Streaming only

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Not surprising really.

Even if there's a large hardcore audience for stuff like Marvel, Star Wars, etc ... on bluray/4Kbluray, I suspect Disney might have plans to leverage/exploit this "pent-up demand" and channel it to their streaming services unrelated to optical discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Some hardcore folks may perceive this to be Disney giving them the middle finger. :blush:

:emoji_rage:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another possibility is Disney releasing The Mandalorian as a complete series set on bluray (or 4Kbluray), a year or two after the series ends.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Didn't they just start airing this in November? I know that it feels like a long time ago given how much the world has changed since then, but it really hasn't been that long. Even if this was a show on a linear network like ABC, the physical release would not be that soon; they would probably schedule it leading up to the premiere of the new season, which has been common with TV disc releases for a number of year snow.

That being said, considering what it cost, I would expect Disney to want to keep it exclusive to the streaming service for a good while, and they have every reason to want to do that. They made the investment in this show to sell Disney+, not to sell discs. That doesn't mean it won't eventually come, but because Disney+ is a new product, we have no idea what their attitudes will be regarding releases for its content in other places.

A year or two ago, I would have said (and probably did) that Netflix was never going to allow one of their films to be released on physical media. But Roma came out in February, and I've got Marriage Story on pre-order for its release in July, via Criterion. So things change. It just depends on how long of a streaming exclusive window they want to have.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Who knows what's going to happen now with home video as the industry still tries to adjust to this new normal caused by this pandemic. Increasing revenues in an attempt to recapture some lost profits will affect such decisions going forward.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Had there been a Comic Con this year, I'd have said that would have almost definitely been when they announced a physical release if it was happening. Now I'd guess that if nothing happens by the time the second season starts on DIsney +, there probably won't be a disc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't really think that a Blu-ray release of this would "recapture lost profits" because Disney clearly sees the disc market as being on the decline. I mean, people here would buy it, but I'm not sure if we're a big enough group to make a huge dent in the profits they've lost from other things.

If they want to make a splash, the unaltered original trilogy would accomplish that more than this...but even that probably wouldn't sell THAT much beyond the diehards who want it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If they want to make a splash, the unaltered original trilogy would accomplish that more than this...but even that probably wouldn't sell THAT much beyond the diehards who want it.
I think the OOT would sell relatively well but since alot of more casual fans haven't seen the originals in over two decades, they'd be very surprised by how rickety the effects are to modern eyes especially in the original movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't really think that a Blu-ray release of this would "recapture lost profits" because Disney clearly sees the disc market as being on the decline. I mean, people here would buy it, but I'm not sure if we're a big enough group to make a huge dent in the profits they've lost from other things.

All I'm saying is everything is on the table going forward and Disney will make such decisions based on their marketing data and their need to increase revenues as their profit margins has dissipated over the last 3 months. Their thinking pre-pandemic might be revised because circumstances have changed dramatically for them. Who knows, how their box office receipts are going to be affected going forward. IMO, anything is possible with them and it's in their best interest to re-examine all kinds of revenue generating possibilities.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A year or two ago, I would have said (and probably did) that Netflix was never going to allow one of their films to be released on physical media. But Roma came out in February ...

Also Netflix was smart to outsource it to Criterion, where it is not likely to "flood" the market with a gazillion copies. That way, copies of Roma can retain the premium prices on both new factory-sealed copies and 2nd handed discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm sure Netflix likely knows by now when the "exclusivity window" of a particular tv show or movie, starts to lose its "selling point" in retaining current subscribers and/or attracting new subscribers.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Though the question is whether Disney knows this yet for their Star Wars tv shows.

What Disney does when the "exclusivity window" of a particular tv show or movie is no longer a "selling point" for their streaming services, remains to be seen.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

The only recent precedents they can look at, would be the Rebels and Resistance dvd (or bluray) sets.

If there is a complete change in business strategy, I suspect their test case is their streaming service revenue compared to what revenue came in (less inventory/marketing costs) from the sales of the Rebels and Resistance dvd (or bluray) sets.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The ultimate "slap in the face" scenario, would be Disney releasing a complete series dvd set of The Mandalorian as dvd-only with no bluray/4Kbluray release.

As recent Disney precedents, Star Wars Resistance season 1 was dvd-only and also the Descendants franchise. (At least in america region1).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks