The Man Without a Past (Mies vailla menneisyyttä) on DVD R2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Petteri, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Petteri

Petteri Extra

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...lovely... not knowing any Swedish - and certainly not Finnish - I have a question: are there subtitles? (or... what does "Tuntematon/Okänd" mean? I'm guessing the first word is Finnish, the second is Svensk?)

(signed) At A Loss

3. Petteri

Petteri Extra

Right now there are no details. Tuntematon means unknown. I've never seen a Finnish movie without english subs... though. I'll e-mail them and see if I can get any more info...

4. Petteri

Petteri Extra

I've gotten a reply from leffat.com. They don't have any more info on this DVD yet, but will update the site as soon as they do.

5. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...thanks... I can wait!... meanwhile I received my first order of Polish DVDs: two Andrzej Wajda films, Everything For Sale (1969) and The Promised Land (1974, 'New Version' 2000)... they'll keep me busy for now...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

6. Petteri

Petteri Extra

lettat.com has updated their info on the DVD. It is coded region 0 and has English and Swedish subtitles.
    P.S. I've also confirmed that this DVD is enhanced for 16x9 TVs.
    P.S.S. This film is the second of a (yet to be completed?) trilogy. The first is Kauas pilvet karkaavat (Drifting Clouds). These is a box set of Kaurismaki (Aki) that one get get from Japan, but I don't have the web site right now. Also more infoormation can be found at:
    http://www.sci.fi/~solaris/kauris/main.html

7. Andrew_K

Andrew_K Stunt Coordinator

According to imdb this is "the second part of Aki Kaurismäki's "Finland" trilogy"

What is the first part? Is the first part available on DVD in Finnland?

8. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

BTW, I contributed that info to IMDb. The first part of the trilogy is, as mentioned above, Drifting Clouds, which I think is Kaurismäki's greatest work to date.
    A few months ago, Kaurismäki revealed in a radio interview that the final film in the proposed trilogy would deal with loneliness (the first two deal with unemployment and vagrancy, respectively). This would complete the circle on modern Finland's three national tragedies.
    I do want to stress that these films do not wallow in melancholy and depression. Kaurismäki's style is minimalistic but in no way is it grim. In fact, The Man Without A Past is one of the most uplifting and genuinely heartwarming films I've seen in a while.
    Can't wait to own this DVD.
    And to answer the above question, no, unfortunately none of Kaurismäki's films are available on DVD in their native country. Allegedly the man isn't very interested in technological development, and I've heard it took a lot of arm-twisting to get him to release his films on the shiny disc. Don't think there's much of chance of commentary tracks, though.

9. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...well... bravely going where I haven't gone before, I ordered this DVD* from leffat.com... received a confirmation e-mail - in Finnish - which includes this 'ominous'(?) phrase: Arvioitu toimitusaika: 10 - 31 päivää...
    ...should I be worried?...he asked, anxiously... [​IMG]
    (*...that'll be the second 'Finnish' movie in my DVD 'collection', the other being older brother Mika Kaurismäki's L.A. Without a Map)
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

10. Petteri

Petteri Extra

That means "estimated order time: 10 - 31 days."

11. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...thank you!... I can sleep easily now!...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

12. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Well, technically, it's the estimated delivery time.
    Having purchased the disc I can happily declare that the quality is excellent. The menus are in Finnish, Swedish and English (a first for me), The Finnish soundtrack is presented in DD 5.1 and DD stereo, and the English subtitles look like they do justice to Kaurismäki's deadpan dialogue.
    But best of all, the inside of the keepcase reveals that we can expect to get Drifting Clouds in Spring of 2003!