What's new

The Man With The Golden Arm coming October 2005! (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From www.laureatedvd.com:

Work is now in progress on a new deluxe Golden Anniversary DVD of Otto Preminger’s THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM which is being produced by Ken Barnes in association with Sinatra Enterprises of Los Angeles.
It will be released in the USA by Hart Sharp Video in March, 2005 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the film’s production.
Unlike Laureate’s previous 2002 UK release, this will be a two-disc edition that will contain Laureate’s exclusive documentary MUSIC ON FILM – ELMER BERNSTEIN in conversation with KEN BARNES plus revised and newly-conceived graphics and moving menus, a special audio-visual montage of exclusive photos – by celebrated photographer, Bob Willoughby - from the film’s soundtrack sessions with Frank Sinatra and Elmer Bernstein set over Sinatra’s own recording of the song “The Man With The Golden Arm “ written by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen. It was originally intended to be heard over the film’s credits but was later dropped in favour of Bernstein’s dynamic main title theme.
Other extras – currently being explored – are possible interviews with Sinatra’s co-stars Eleanor Parker and Kim Novak. The film will, of course, also feature exclusive footage of Sinatra talking about his preparation for the role of Frankie Machine and a newly-recorded feature-length audio commentary by Ken Barnes.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've never seen this film, but have always wanted to. The current DVD copies are all Public Domain crap, so I've held off.

Hopefully, this release is a major improvement.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
BE ADVISED:

This "Laureate Edition" is a "public domain" release, too.

The owner of the original film elements is the Preminger estate, and they have not licensed this version.

It's another "CHARADE"-like situation.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hmmm; I must admit I've been less than thrilled with the Laureate titles I've bought to date - Charade was pretty dire and I was less than thrilled with Meet John Doe, which I believe they also intend to release as a 2-disc SE in R1.

It's all very well packing 'em with extras, but if they don't have access to the elements to produce a first class transfer...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The current UK edition of the film from Laureate has a good transfer. It's clean and fairly sharp.

The Man With The Golden Arm is a landmark American film and fully deserves a good/great DVD edition. It really is a shame when great films slip into the Public Domain and get forgotten and neglected.

Are any other films in a similar situation, ie great Public Domain film that has an abysmal transfer?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One Eyed Jacks springs instantly to mind, Suddenly has never really got decent treatment either; there was a thread about PD titles instigated by Barrie Maxwell from the Bits which listed quite a few.

EDIT - here it is!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The latest from Laureate:

New 2-disc edition of “THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM” is now completed

A new de-luxe two-disc edition of Otto Preminger’s 1955 classic has now been completed for U.S. release as part of this year’s 50th Anniversary celebration which will also include a new American theatrical re-release of the film. This updated DVD release – produced by Laureate in association with Artanis Entertainment/Sinatra Enterprises will be released by Hart Sharp Video of New York.

Extras include newly re-mastered print of the film.
Exclusive video interview with FRANK SINATRA
Feature length audio commentary by Laureate’s Ken Barnes
MUSIC ON FILM – ELMER BERNSTEIN in conversation with Ken Barnes
SINATRA – IN SESSION & ON SET
Production Background
Extensive Cast and Crew Profiles
Film soundtrack re-mixed and newly mastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
Release date will be later this year. Details to follow.

I think I'll wait for any reviews before I buy...

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Good move. Since the movie is owned by the Preminger estate and licensed to Warner Bros., only THEY have access to the original elements to create an excellent transfer, no less access to magnetic audio.

I can't wait to hear that re-mixed and remasterd Dolby Digital soundtrack....made from an old release print at best.

UGH!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll wait too. I've heard good things about the movie itself, but I try to avoid PD titles until I hear about the quality of the release.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
portion of a review from the New York Times:

"This Hart Sharp Entertainment release is based on a 2003 British DVD, and while its source may well have been the "original pristine 35-millimeter print" promised in the news release, it seems to have been ported over from the British PAL standard, with the usual ghosting, soft definition and muddy contrast that comes along with that cost-cutting method. Still, it's the best copy out there of one of Preminger's most important films".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had really high hopes for this, too. I've never seen this film and am a huge fan of Sinatra's.

I would suspect there might be some really good prices on this (if not release week) then shortly after). I might bite anyway...unless someone posts here with definitive word.

Apparently the prior PD releases were horrendous. If the worst the NYT can come up with for this release is "soft and muddy"...maybe it won't be that bad.

We could be waiting a long time for the Preminger estate to do anything.

EDIT: I went looking at the Laureate site and they seem to have even more info posted about the release now. The Elmer Bernstein extra is listed at 45-minutes!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Might be worth it for the extras alone... And for those of us who have never seen the film, it's probably better than nothing. I'm a huge Sinatra fan, so unless it looks like utter shit, I'll probably get it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm ..... I think I'll just stick with my laser disc courtesy of Warners via the Preminger estate. Looks pretty clean to me and buying the DVD sounds more like downgrading than upgrading to me.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

I totally agree with Thomas T. Why buy a muddy bootleg?
Wait for a proper transfer from original elements (not a release print!) from the rightful owner, who indeed has this licensed to WB.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I'll be interested in hearing other comments about this dvd, since I just sampled it by going through each chapter and found the dvd presentation decent and not as bad as that NYT article makes it out to be. However, I can't remember if this film was filmed in 1.85:1 ratio because the dvd is not presented in a widescreen ratio. I'll try to watch the dvd tomorrow, but it's Sunday and that day is generally reserved for football.;)

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks