What's new

The Man Who Would Be King Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
660004c4_TheManWhoWouldBeKing

The Man Who Would Be King
Release Date: June 7, 2011
Studio: Warner Home Video
Packaging/Materials: Single-disc "Digi-Book"
Year: 1975
Rating: PG
Running Time: 2:08:52
MSRP: $34.99

THE FEATURE

SPECIAL FEATURES

Video

1080p high definition 2.40:1

Standard definition

Audio

DTS-HD Master Audio: English 1.0

Stereo

Subtitles

English SDH, Spanish, French

None

The Feature: 4/5

Afghanistan's remote region of Kafiristan is the last place you'd expect to find a couple ex-soldiers from the British Army, but it's the place where Peachy Carnehan and Daniel Dravot (Michael Caine and Sean Connery) have decided to make their fortunes. Their ambitious plans consist of hiring themselves out as mercenaries to a local king or chieftain, helping him defeat his enemies, and then taking over the kingdom for themselves. With some maps provided by a journalist they've befriended named Rudyard Kipling (Chrisopher Plummer) - who will eventually recount their story - the two make their way across treacherous and unforgiving terrain to the isolated mountain region. When they finally arrive, their hairbrained idea actually seems like it might work, as they fall into favor with one of the tribal leaders and proceed to decimate the neighboring clan with their gifts of modern warfare tactics and firearms. It's when Dravot is shot with an arrow and remains unscathed that things take an even more fortuitous turn. Though his survival is only thanks to a well-placed bandolier, the locals believe him to be a god. And not just any god, but the heir to Alexander the Great, who invaded and ruled over the area over two thousand years ago. With locals far and wide now submitting to them without protest, and Alexander's treasures available to do with as they please, Dravot and Carnehan have achieved what most thought would be impossible. But finding fortune so quickly and easily has its price, as Dravot begins to believe in his own mythical status, creating a rift with his old friend and comrade, but ultimately endangering their very lives.

Directed by John Huston and based on Rudyard Kipling's short story of the same name, "The Man Who Would Be King" gets off to a slow start, but becomes an entertaining adventure yarn once the main characters reach their destination. Consequently, the film could stand to lose about 30 minutes, mostly in the first act as the characters meet Kipling and establish their relationship to him. While the framing device and meta-narrative may have worked in the short story, it proves clumsy in the film, showing again that a movie adaptation need not be so slavish to its source material. The rest of the feature moves along at a good pace, featuring solid chemistry between Caine and Connery, well choreographed action set pieces, and an understated moral around the seductive power of wealth. Though certainly not on par with Huston's other, older films it does prove to be a solid piece of entertainment, notwithstanding the need to tighten up its narrative.

Video Quality: 4/5

The film is accurately framed at 2.40:1 and presented in 1080p with the AVC codec. The transfer features strong and stable black levels, deep and well saturated colors, and contrast that displays the full range of values. Fine detail is decent, but seems to diminish some in wide or establishing shots, though overall sharpness seems to hold up throughout. There are no noticeable artifacts from excessive digital processing, though there are a couple instances of background flutter or flicker.​

Audio Quality: 3/5
The first 20 minutes of the 1.0 DTS-HD Master Audio track is problematic. There is often a noticeable hiss and dialogue is either muddled, or sounds hollow and harsh. Things noticeably improve in terms of both quality and consistency once the main characters start on their journey. Dialogue then exhibits decent detail and, outside of some thicker accents requiring subtitles, becomes clear and intelligible. Being a mono track there's no surround activity, but the front sound stage has a reasonable breadth. LFE is likewise non-existent, but there is decent depth and fullness with the film's orchestral score.

Special Features: 2/5

The extras are on the meager side, but aren't inconsistent with what was available on the 2001 DVD release.

Call It Magic: The Making of the Man Who Would Be King (12:00, SD) is a vintage behind-the-scenes that includes a plot synopsis, a look at filming a major action sequence, and interviews with the director and lead actors.

Theatrical Trailer (1:06, SD)

Collectible Book integrated into the packaging includes numerous production stills, cast and crew biographies, a biography of Rudyard Kipling, and an essay about the film.

Recap

The Feature: 4/5
Video Quality: 4/5
Audio Quality: 3/5
Special Features: 2/5
Overall Score (not an average): 3.5/5

Warner Home Video turns in a great video presentation but a merely average audio presentation for John Huston's adaptation of a Rudyard Kipling short story. There isn't much to the special features, but it's understandable given the vintage of the film. Owners of the previous DVD edition will likely want to upgrade for the picture quality, but will probably want to wait until a significant drop in price given the audio presentation and the equivalent extras. Those who haven't purchased the title yet may also want to hold off until a suitable price point.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The upgrade wouldn't necessarily be for the PQ but to get rid of the irritating flipper disc, which is priceless.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Amazon has finally dropped the price on this to $20.99.

It's been sitting in my cart a loooooooong time (at $28.99).

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I had a heart-stopping moment just now as i read Robert Harris commentary and not comment. I bought it on the first day,but im no technical expert.so i cant tell you about DNR and all that . I can only say it is a classic for the ages.Caine and Connery is one of the best partnership combo ever

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry to see that omitted dialogue from this movie, also absent on the DVD, has not been restored in the Blu Ray release. When Danny and Peachy first approach the walled city of Erheb Billy Fish yells down at them "You just wait one jiffy!" That line is gone, erased, no more! Now he only waves at them silently. It may only be a small line, but the total incongruity of hearing that very British expression yelled back at them from a fortress in "the back of beyond" made it stand out. Completely omitting a line of dialogue that I (and others) clearly remember shows a lack of care in the restoration of this great movie.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Mike Frezon said:
Amazon has finally dropped the price on this to $20.99.  It's been sitting in my cart a loooooooong time (at $28.99).  :D
Ha! I wen to order it (finally), but it is back up to $30. It seems WHV just don't want me to buy this title.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I picked this up when it first came out locally for $25.95, never realized there was any dialog missing

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Try your local Best Buy. These went onto the shelves incorrectly marked $14.99. Unless the missing dialogue is a deal-breaker.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
nealg said:
Try your local Best Buy. These went onto the shelves incorrectly marked $14.99. Unless the missing dialogue is a deal-breaker.
I'm in Australia. We don't have Best Buy here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks