What's new

"The man who wasn't there"..... in colour? (1 Viewer)

Runar_R

Second Unit
According to the website Link Removed the R3 version of the Coen-film includes a colour version of the film. I wondered if anyone here had seen it.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
In the French 3-disc collector's edition, one disc also contains the color version, but the set has non-removable French subtitles: http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=6186
In the Netherlands, the rental version is just released, and we don't even have a choice: it's only available in color. It's nice to have the choice to watch it in color, but no original B&W version is just plain silly. :thumbsdown:

Runar_R

Second Unit
Those French sure gets some great dvd-sets.......
I had never even heard about a coloured version of "Man who wasn't there", but I'm looking forward to seeing it. It will be interesting to see how it impacts the mood of the movie.

Not including the B/W-version sounds idiotic though! Didn't they show the film in B/W in the theatres in the Netherlands?

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Not including the B/W-version sounds idiotic though! Didn't they show the film in B/W in the theatres in the Netherlands?
They did, and I'm glad I saw it in the theater. Great little film :).
think the distributor just thought no one would rent a B&W movie. And maybe the're right......:thumbsdown:

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Universe Video & Laser Company Limited release in Hong Kong is a two disc set. The only bonus features on both disc are trailers. One disc is the original black & white version and the other disc is the color version.

Both are presented in 16:9 widescreen and the black & white version has the same transfer as the R1 release.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
That's just weird, isn't it? I thought people filmed on B&W film if they wanted to get a B&w effect. Surely the detail and contrast is better? :confused:
So is this a studio thing? By the way, we'd like you to frame so that we can easily make a 'fullscreen' version...oh and film in colour and take it out afterwards for B&W because we can't sell it easily...:frowning:

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Theo,
Although I never noticed it myself, nor have I checked to see if I can see it myself, I have heard that even the "black and white" version has got subtle colour shading in various scenes. I'm sure they had some reason for doing it like it did, and as usual, it went flying right over the top of my head ;)

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I think there's mention of this in the commentary regarding the use of subtle colours in the film and the reasons for using the stock they did (when they weren't busy cracking up with Billy Bob, naturally).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So is this a studio thing?
In part, yes. But as Roger Deakins explains on the R1 version, it turned out that shooting on color stock and then removing the colors in post-production was the best way to get the look they were after.

M.

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
The "subtle colour shading" in the theatrical prints was only due to the fact that most of them were made on color stock... only a very few screen got prints made on actual black & white film.

A major reason it was filmed on color stock was that some of the financers of the film required a color version to be available.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Hey, I saw THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE in color AND 3-D!
Oh, but you're not talking about the 1983 "comedy" with Steve Guttenberg, are you? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks