1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

THE MAN WHO LAUGHS and THE LAST WARNING coming from Flicker Alley

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Danny Burk, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

I can't find the thread from a few days ago that discussed the French blu-ray of THE MAN WHO LAUGHS (Universal 1928), so I'll create a new one.

I received Flicker Alley's DER HUND VON BASKERVILLE (1929) today, and inside is a free 2019 calendar from Flicker. It includes a nice still for each month, and these appear to correspond with upcoming 2019 releases. In April, Universal's new restoration of THE MAN WHO LAUGHS is listed, along with a note regarding a deluxe blu-ray and DVD edition.

Other upcoming silents include the recent Universal restoration of THE LAST WARNING (1929) in October, and Mary Pickford's A LITTLE PRINCESS in November.

2. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

Gosh, I remember about thirty years ago when I was first introduced to "The Man Who Laughs" (1928), courtesy some video dealer who used to advertise in "Classic Images." I think his initials were D.B., if I'm not mistaken. Wonder whatever became of that guy.

Anyway, I hope this pans out, but I still have one of Flicker Alley's 2017 calendars, and it served up a photo of "Repeat Performance" (1947), which made me assume a release was imminent.

Darby67 likes this.
  3. richardburton84

richardburton84 Stunt Coordinator

Jack
    A few years ago, it was also announced that they would be releasing the Photoplay restoration of Birth of a Nation, which only finally came out last year, but from Twilight Time. So I’ll wait until an official announcement before I get excited for this, though I will say I’ve been meaning to watch both of these films.

4. StarDestroyer52

John Brooks
    I would be happy if three come out. This makes sense since Kino said they asked for The Man Who Laughs but didn't get it. The Mary Pickford Foundation has been restoring her films for a while now I believe.

5. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    Thanks for the info! I love these old silent films and THE LAST WARNING is awesome! Flicker Alley is also awesome!

6. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Stunt Coordinator

Arthur
    That's the first thing I was thinking too.. Perhaps that explains why Kino also didn't get some of those other silents that Universal has been restoring over the last several years (just speculation there). In any case, I'll be looking forward to pre-ordering the titles whenever they become available. Also, those who have the earlier Kino DVD might want to keep that disc. That earlier DVD was based upon a restoration of the foreign release version, but the recent Universal restoration is based off of the domestic version. So expect different takes and stuff like that (I think that the foreign cut has a few "naughty" shots of Olga Baclanova not present in the domestic cut).

Darby67 and StarDestroyer52 like this.
  7. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    love that The Man Who Laughs is coming from Flicker Alley now on to Mary Pickford and The Mary Pickford Foundation and what they are doing to preserve the legacy of her work, they reached a partnership with flicker Alley for releases, don't know how long that agreement is for, but the first ones out of the gate were stellar. so for more interest i will give you a link to read, hope that it helps,

https://marypickford.org/preservation-work/

very informative

StarDestroyer52 and Danny Burk like this.
  8. StarDestroyer52

John Brooks
    Yeah, I picked up Little Annie Rooney from them last year and was super impressed. I hope to pick up Fanchon eventually. Also, there's a lot of great information on the Mary Pickford Foundation and social media pages. Didn't know they had an agreement with Flicker Alley but that's superb news as Mary Pickford is sorely lacking on BluRay.

Danny Burk and dana martin like this.