What's new

Pre-Order The Man Who Laughs (1928) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
237673_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Serious kudos to Flicker Alley and Universal Studios for making this restoration available, and once again we dip into the genre that Universal excelled at "Classic Horror" this will defiantly be a must purchase along with The Last Warning, should play nicely next to my Cohen release of The Old Dark House.

:D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Pre-ordered along with The Last Warning, which I haven't seen.

The Man Who Laughs is one of the great classics of the silent era. Great performances (especially Veidt and Philbin), gorgeously shot, and just exciting from start to finish. I'm especially glad Flicker Alley is including both the new score and the original Movietone track. It's actually a terrific "compiled" score - one interesting aspect of it is that they used a lot of the same cues from Sunrise.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the German disc and can only assume that the Flicker Alley disc will use the same restoration. It's quite beautiful. It was my first time seeing the film after hearing so much about it over the years. I'm glad I waited so that I could see it look as good as it possibly can. It's not so much a Horror film, though, as it is a fairly typical Victor Hugo story about man's inhumanity towards those who are disfigured. Conrad Veidt is wonderful in the title role. I'd only ever seen Mary Philbin before in Phantom of the Opera. Her acting in The Man Who Laughs didn't improve my opinion of her talents.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
The Man Who Laughs is one of the great classics of the silent era. Great performances (especially Veidt and Philbin), gorgeously shot, and just exciting from start to finish. I'm especially glad Flicker Alley is including both the new score and the original Movietone track. It's actually a terrific "compiled" score - one interesting aspect of it is that they used a lot of the same cues from Sunrise.

That’s because the musical director for both films was the same—Erno Rapeé (Hugo Riesenfeld is often erroneously credited with the music for SUNRISE.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks