What's new

Pre-Order The Man Who Cheated Himself (1950) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
208262_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, I love this film with my favorite TV Mom playing such a role. I'm shock that Eddie Muller didn't do an audio commentary on this film especially considering the film locations of his hometown.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Man, I love this film with my favorite TV Mom playing such a role. I'm shock that Eddie Muller didn't do an audio commentary on this film especially considering the film locations of his hometown.

Muller will undoubtedly do a commentary on it tomorrow morning since it is the featured film on TCM's Noir Alley at 10 a.m. (or midnight tonight.) I haven't seen it yet but will be interested to see Jane Wyatt as the femme fatale. Last week on Noir Alley she was the faithful mother wife in Pitfall.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Muller will undoubtedly do a commentary on it tomorrow morning since it is the featured film on TCM's Noir Alley at 10 a.m. (or midnight tonight.) I haven't seen it yet but will be interested to see Jane Wyatt as the femme fatale. Last week on Noir Alley she was the faithful mother wife in Pitfall.
True, I do wonder if they're showing this new transfer or not.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
True, I do wonder if they're showing this new transfer or not.

I believe they are because he has introduced other films in this series as 'brand new' or 'restored' transfers. And don't forget to record or stick around for the whole thing because he makes comments before and after the film, with the ones afterwards usually involving spoilers and the fates of some of the players later in their careers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Count me as another one disappointed it doesn't have a Eddie Muller commentary. I just pre-ordered this from Flicker Alley's own website. I try to buy ClassicFlix, Flicker Alley, and Twilight Time direct instead of through Amazon when possible.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A decent noir story but no Double Indemnity. Dall and Wyatt both overacted to the point of distraction, in my opinion. The post film commentary about what later happened to actress Lisa Howard was a highlight.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Eddie's comments are as always fascinating and filled with interesting fact and opinion.

The film was gripping to a point. I always like the premise of a crime having been committed and then attempted to be covered up and then we watch as layers are peeled away revealing the guilty parties. But Dall's character is practically clairvoyant to make some of the leaps he makes throughout the movie, and the entire motive for the cover up seemed strained for me. No surprise at all with the ending.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And they never bothered to resolve whether Cobb would be indicted for the murder or would give up Wyatt, but since it's noir we assume that her new attorney beau would help seal the deal against Cobb. Course if truth came out he would still be an accessory and imprisoned and career over, but he wouldn't have the murder conviction (and we never see his brother find out he didn't commit). Hey, it's noir, you make one bad mistake, you pay for it big time. Good story. And the 'quiet' finale quite good. But Wyatt should stick to what she... Knows Best.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Woah. Spoilers.
Some of us never even heard of this movie and haven’t seen it yet.

I recorded it on TCM so I’ll get to it soon.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sorry. Forgot how to do that. Fixed. Didn't think anyone else who didn't know film was on this thread. If you're like me, you won't remember details by the time you screen it. And if you watch enough Noir, you can pretty well guess where it's all going.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I can guess. As I said I have it in my dvr. Watched a little last night. Try to finish it this weeek.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks