The Man in the Moon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

I saw this movie about 7 years ago on VHS and loved it. Does anyone have the DVD? Is the picture quality good, and is it 16:9 enhanced? I couldn't find any reviews of the DVD online...

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Assuming you're talking about the 1991 film featuring Reese Witherspoon - yes, I (and several others here at HTF) have this DVD. It's bare-bones, but it features a very nice 16x9 transfer (a noticeable improvement over the laser), and that's what matters most. You should be able to find it for under $10 - a bargain for an unsung gem of a movie.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Allan, The Man in the Moon is getting a strong reputation on HTF. I hope I was part of that. I am a major fan of it. Just check the Top 20 in my sig to see. The DVD is anamorphic and has a nice transfer, but I don't have any HD stuff, so I can't tell as much as others. It is also very cheap. In fact, Best Buy had it on sale for $6.66 a couple weeks ago.

Please see the in-depth discussion of it Here. a lot of work went into that. I could write five times as much now that I have really dug into it. what a fine film!!!

4. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    I agree. It was one of the most emotionally affecting movies I've seen to this day. The character development is just fantastic.

5. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

6. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Allan, I'm a pretty big Reese Witherspoon fan. It's just a coincidence she is in my sig right now. I change it pretty regularly. I've seen all but a couple of her movies and I tend to agree that TMITM is her best performance. Election is the one that gets mentioned the most, but I think her performance in TMITM is even better. Fewer people know about TMITM and I think a lot of people (particularly here on HTF) are hesitant to praise such a "chick flick." If you want to see her take a rather bizarre turn in a popular "cult" film, see Freeway, which is what the shot in my current sig is from. Be prepared for some colorful langauge, though.