What's new

The Man From UNCLE?? (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I had this in my Amazon cart for hours before deciding to pull the trigger on the deal. I kept reading reviews on how Season 1 was the best and it went downhill from there. I was beginning to think it would turn out to be another childhood favorite that does not hold up now.

However, I remember watching reruns as recently as the mid to late 80's, and I did not even see any of season 1 but enjoyed the show (I think most of what I saw in reruns was season 2). So, if Season 1 is as good as people say, and I already know I like season 2, it seemed a no-brainer to spring for the set @ $83. The bonus features look to be extraordinary. I should receive it on Tuesday.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Having bought the set when it was new from Time Life (and significantly more expensive than the Amazon deal), I can tell you, it is well worth it. One of the very best TV box sets ever produced. The first two seasons were excellent, IMO, and the third had some silly ones, but was still worthwhile, and the fourth season is a return to form. The extras are terrific too.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

I got a pristine used copy of the box set for 139.00 and it alot of fun. S1 and S2 are the best and s4 good, yes s3 is some really awful over the top camp episodes but over all 83.00 bucks is a great deal and the extras with RV and DM interviews are load of fun too.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If I just have one quibble with the set after 18 months (and nearing the end of finally seeing everything in it!) I think Warner should have included *all* of the UNCLE feature length films and not just "One Spy Too Many". Given that S4 was only half a season, they could have handled the additional ones with just three more discs (I would have frankly preferred that to some of the extras on the two bonus discs).

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I love the set. It was expensive- I bought it when it came out. Quality seems perfect to me. I have great copies of The Girl From Uncle but I would love to see that come out. The complete set came with the attache case box and extras. Very happy with it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by younger1968

i am thinking on purchasing this set. I welcome any comments around the quality?
One of the two or three best TV box sets ever produced. You can't go wrong. The quality is great - looks better than anyone probably ever saw it look in its original run.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ditto. The video is excellent with clean audio.

While I'm not a big fan of "special packaging" this one was done fairly well. The briefcase is heavy, sturdy paperboard. The only "gotcha" is the clasps are on upside down (at lease mine are). The individual seasons are packaged such that you can also take them out of the briefcase box and stash the box away somewhere. My biggest gripe is that the seasons are hinged digipaks (at least there're not taped together) in bottom/top opening plastic slipcases. They took bad and placed it in worse. I *hate* digipaks and bottom/top opening slipcases are accidents waiting to happen as the insides can easily slide out if you're not careful. Another downside is that the bonus DVDs are in paper slipcases instead of a keepcase. A keepcase would fit the briefcase well as the filler in the bottom which holds the bonus DVDs is roughly that thickness.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
The extras are plentiful and the AV quality fairly solid (the colour episodes look worse than the BW ones)--it's a great TV on DVD set!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
When I bought this set it was much cheaper than the original price . I think I paid something like $135. In regards to the packaging, I replace the digipaks with the thin double DVD box which luckily fits in the same space. My reason for doing it was I had great problems removing a DVD from the digipak and I didn't want break the DVD.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've never seen this program somehow.

Would this likely be a safe purchase for someone that loves Get Smart and 1960's television in general?

I know they take two pretty different approaches to the 60's spy genre, but that's all I have to compare with.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

I've never seen this program somehow.

Would this likely be a safe purchase for someone that loves Get Smart and 1960's television in general?

I know they take two pretty different approaches to the 60's spy genre, but that's all I have to compare with.

Well, there are some obvious similarities with the spy genre. For the most part they are lighthearted, sometimes campy, tales of adventure. The two main characters are portrayed as cool, handsome and even humorous.

If you are a collector of classic 60's TV, especially adventure shows, The Man From Uncle is an iconic must have. If you watch a lot of episodic 60's TV like I do, you will see every actor in the business appear somewhere in this series-with few exceptions.

To answer your question, if you are looking for strictly comedy, this show is not Get Smart. If you like lighthearted spy adventures infused with some humorous elements, this show has that.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Opinions vary on this show but I only have S1 (as a gift) and I passed on the box set due to the change of the show over its run. Imo, S1 (B/W) was the best season while S2-3 became more of a "camp" style show, then S4 returned to more or less like S1. For me, S1 is all I need of this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks