What's new

The Man From UNCLE?? (2 Viewers)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
This is a question for people who got UNCLE from Amazon. In the 1st season box, I had problems getting the Disc out of the box - fear of breaking it. I push on the center but that doesn't help. Does it get easier? Any tips?

Glenn Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I had a real problem getting two of the discs out and managed to shatter the plastic flap that holds two discs. Fortunately the DVDs were OK so I have just put them into two paper sleeves and keep them outside the Season 1 set. It was a battle to get quite a few of the discs out and I was terrified of shattering one of the discs.

In fact this did happen to me with I Spy Season 3 and I ended up buying a second set (as it was so cheap) because I snapped the DVD when trying to get it out of the case. This was cheaper than posting it back to the US from the UK.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
i got my set as a gift last christmas from time life and i immediately noticed how dangerously fragile the containers were for all the discs. i bought a cd wallet/notebook and put all the dvds in there and then stored the attache case and season boxes away. i would rather have the discs safe and easy to get to than to risk damaging them everytime i wanted to take one in and out. just a suggestion~
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I did the same thing, except that I'm storing the DVDs in multi-disc Amaray cases instead of a binder. As complete series sets go, it's better than some, but still substandard. I was hoping for foldout packaging similar to the Get Smart set. :frowning:

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
As stated above, I have had problems removing DVD's from the Man from UNCLE set (obtained from Amazon - I suspect this is very all Man from UNCLE sellers. I have decided to put the DVDs into 2_DVD thin boxes. One season of 11 DVDs would require 5 2-DVD thin and 1 DVD-Thin. This still fits in the space that the original container used.

I just finished the first year and have started on the wonderful colour episodes of season two ( yes I have issues removing the disks)

One think I'd like to mention... I am in love with the old MGM backlot. the shows made such great use of it. It was huge and diverse and brought much to the flavour of the show. In the special features there is a mini look back at it.

Sad to think of it all gone and vanished under nondescript tract housing and office buildings. There was so much of it you can't get tired of looking at it.

In comparison, I've seen as much as I can stand of that grand staircase that was dressed over and over in the Wild Wild West. I love to play "spot the standing set" on old shows. Even episodes of Mission: Impossible using every alley between Desilu sound stages as generic big city alleys.

Found a site with the place at the end of it's life:
MGM Lot

Sincerely,

Jim

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Has the 1983 reunion TV movie Return to the Man from UNCLE ever been released on DVD?

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim - thanks for that fascinating link. It's very sad to think of what replaced the backlot.

Richard - yes it was released a few years ago - although the DVD was a train wreck in terms of audio and visual quality. That disc is now out of print but I couldn't recommend paying more than a couple of dollars for it even if you find it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'll leave it then Mike if the picture quality isn't very good. Thanks though for your reply.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen

nothing beats the episode of MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE where they are supposed to be somewhere behind the iron curtain in a Balkan country or something and they are clearly in Mayberry! there is even a scene at "Wally's Filling Station!"

BobSchneider

Second Unit
BODY { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: #ffffff; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 5px 10px 10px; FONT: 10px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 0px } A:link { COLOR: #000000 } A:visited { COLOR: #000000 } A:hover { COLOR: #ff0000 } A:active { COLOR: #ff0000 } .page { BACKGROUND: #ffffff; COLOR: #efece9 } TD { FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } TH { FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } P { FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } LI { FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } .tborder { BACKGROUND: #ccccce; COLOR: #000000 } .tcat { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/relivo/misc/catbg.gif) #002d4a repeat-x left top; FONT: bold 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff } .tcat A:link { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .tcat A:visited { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .tcat A:hover { COLOR: #e3eef5; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .tcat A:active { COLOR: #e3eef5; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .thead { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/relivo/misc/thead.gif) #e8e8e8 repeat-x left top; FONT: bold 11px tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000 } .thead A:link { COLOR: #000000 } .thead A:visited { COLOR: #000000 } .thead A:hover { COLOR: #000000 } .thead A:active { COLOR: #000000 } .tfoot { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/relivo/misc/catbg.gif) #002d4a repeat-x left top; COLOR: #e0e0f6 } .tfoot A:link { COLOR: #e0e0f6 } .tfoot A:visited { COLOR: #e0e0f6 } .tfoot A:hover { COLOR: #ffff66 } .tfoot A:active { COLOR: #ffff66 } .alt1 { BACKGROUND: #f3f4f8; COLOR: #000000 } .alt1Active { BACKGROUND: #f3f4f8; COLOR: #000000 } .alt2 { BACKGROUND: #d1d4e0; COLOR: #000000 } .alt2Active { BACKGROUND: #d1d4e0; COLOR: #000000 } TD.inlinemod { BACKGROUND: #ffffcc; COLOR: #000000 } .wysiwyg { FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000 } TEXTAREA { FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } .bginput { FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } .button { FONT: 11px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } SELECT { FONT: 11px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } OPTION { FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } OPTGROUP { FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } .smallfont { FONT: 11px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff } .time { COLOR: #ff0000 } .navbar { FONT: 11px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000 } .navbar A:link { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .navbar A:visited { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .navbar A:hover { COLOR: #ffffcc; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .navbar A:active { COLOR: #ffffcc; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .highlight { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: #ff0000 } .fjsel { BACKGROUND: #3e5c92; COLOR: #e0e0f6 } .fjdpth0 { BACKGROUND: #f7f7f7; COLOR: #000000 } .panel { BORDER-RIGHT: 2px outset; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; BORDER-TOP: 2px outset; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; BACKGROUND: #f3f4f8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; BORDER-LEFT: 2px outset; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 10px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 2px outset } .panelsurround { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/relivo/gradients/gradient_panelsurround.gif) #d1d4e0 repeat-x left top; COLOR: #000000 } LEGEND { FONT: 11px tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #22229c } .vbmenu_control { PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/relivo/misc/catbg.gif) #002d4a repeat-x left top; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; FONT: bold 11px tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-TOP: 3px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap } .vbmenu_control A:link { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .vbmenu_control A:visited { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .vbmenu_control A:hover { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .vbmenu_control A:active { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .vbmenu_popup { BORDER-RIGHT: #2b2b2b 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b2b2b 1px solid; BACKGROUND: #bbc7ce; BORDER-LEFT: #2b2b2b 1px solid; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b2b2b 1px solid } .vbmenu_option { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/relivo/misc/thead.gif) #e8e8e8 repeat-x left top; FONT: 11px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; CURSOR: pointer; COLOR: #000000; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap } .vbmenu_option A:link { COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .vbmenu_option A:visited { COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .vbmenu_option A:hover { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .vbmenu_option A:active { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .vbmenu_hilite { BACKGROUND: #8a949e; FONT: 11px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; CURSOR: pointer; COLOR: #ffffff; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap } .vbmenu_hilite A:link { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .vbmenu_hilite A:visited { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .vbmenu_hilite A:hover { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .vbmenu_hilite A:active { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .bigusername { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 12pt } TD.thead { PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; PADDING-TOP: 4px } DIV.thead { PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; PADDING-TOP: 4px } .pagenav A { TEXT-DECORATION: none } .pagenav TD { PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-TOP: 2px } .fieldset { MARGIN-BOTTOM: 6px } .fieldset { FONT-SIZE: 11px } .fieldset TD { FONT-SIZE: 11px } .fieldset P { FONT-SIZE: 11px } .fieldset LI { FONT-SIZE: 11px } FORM { DISPLAY: inline } LABEL { CURSOR: default } .normal { FONT-WEIGHT: normal } .inlineimg { VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle } .smallfont2 { FONT: 11px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .annfont { FONT: bold 13px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #ff0000 } .annfont2 { FONT: bold 13px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000 } .alt3 { BACKGROUND: #f3f4f8; FONT: bold 13px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif } .headlinks { FONT: bold 12px tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 15px; COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .headlinks A:link { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .headlinks_alink { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .headlinks A:visited { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .headlinks_avisited { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .headlinks A:hover { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .headlinks A:active { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .headlinks_ahover { COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .pre-spoiler { BORDER-RIGHT: #b5c0a8 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-TOP: #b5c0a8 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; BACKGROUND: #e3e9db; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; MARGIN: 0px 15px 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #b5c0a8 1px solid; COLOR: #6a775b; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b5c0a8 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: right } .spoiler { BORDER-RIGHT: #b5c0a8 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-TOP: #b5c0a8 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; BACKGROUND: #e3e9db; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; MARGIN: 0px 15px 15px; BORDER-LEFT: #b5c0a8 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b5c0a8 1px solid } .panel2 { BORDER-RIGHT: 2px outset; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; BORDER-TOP: 2px outset; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; BACKGROUND: #ffffcc; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; BORDER-LEFT: 2px outset; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 10px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 2px outset } .panel3 { BORDER-RIGHT: 2px outset; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; BORDER-TOP: 2px outset; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; BACKGROUND: #ffffff; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; BORDER-LEFT: 2px outset; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 10px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 2px outset } .panelsurround2 { BACKGROUND: #002d4a; COLOR: #000000 } .newthread { BACKGROUND: #ffffcc } .warnbutton { BORDER-RIGHT: #3f1a01 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; BORDER-TOP: #ffc8a4 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; MARGIN: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #ffc8a4 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; COLOR: #fff; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3f1a01 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #0066ff; TEXT-ALIGN: center } .annbg { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff } .annover { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff783 } .annout { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff8c6 } .bblegend { FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana } SPAN.registererrorhidden { DISPLAY: none } SPAN.registerokhidden { DISPLAY: none } SPAN.registererror { PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; DISPLAY: block; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; FONT-SIZE: 14px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; MARGIN: 10px 2px; COLOR: black; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow } SPAN.registerok { PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; DISPLAY: block; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; FONT-SIZE: 14px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; MARGIN: 10px 2px; COLOR: black; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c1ff8d } #mainContainer { BORDER-RIGHT: #317082 1px solid; MARGIN: 0px auto; BORDER-LEFT: #317082 1px solid; WIDTH: 630px; HEIGHT: 100%; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff; TEXT-ALIGN: left } #menuColumn { PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; FONT-SIZE: 0.9em; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; WIDTH: 160px; PADDING-TOP: 5px } #mainContent { FLOAT: left; WIDTH: 440px } .oddRow { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff } .evenRow { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eee } .productTable { BORDER-RIGHT: #000 3px double; BORDER-TOP: #000 3px double; BORDER-LEFT: #000 3px double; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000 3px double } H3 { MARGIN-TOP: 0px } .bbcode_hack { BORDER-RIGHT: #333333 1px dotted; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-TOP: #333333 1px dotted; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #333333 1px dotted; WIDTH: 420px; COLOR: #333333; PADDING-TOP: 5px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #333333 1px dotted; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #bbc7ce } IMG.pbutton { BACKGROUND: #e0e0f6; COLOR: #000 } IMG.pbutton A:link { BACKGROUND: #e0e0f6; COLOR: #000 } IMG.pbutton A:visited { BACKGROUND: #e0e0f6; COLOR: #000 } IMG.pbutton A:active { BACKGROUND: #e0e0f6; COLOR: #000 } IMG.pbutton:hover { BACKGROUND: #ffffff; COLOR: #000 } IMG.pbutton A:hover { BACKGROUND: #ffffff; COLOR: #000 } INPUT { FONT: 11px tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif } SELECT { FONT: 11px tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif } S { BACKGROUND: #e0e0f6; COLOR: #000 } TD.tab A:link { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } TD.tab A:visited { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } TD.tab A:active { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A.tab { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } TD.tab2 A:link { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } TD.tab2 A:visited { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } TD.tab2 A:active { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A.tab2 { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A.tab2:link { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A.tab2:active { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A.tab2:visited { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right top; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma,sans-serif; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; POSITION: relative; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 20px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; TEXT-DECORATION: none } TD.tab A:hover { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } IMG.tab A:hover { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } .tab A:hover { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } A.tab:hover { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } TD.tab2 A:link { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } TD.tab2 A:visited { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } TD.tab2 A:active { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } A.tab2 { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } A.tab2:link { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } A.tab2:active { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } A.tab2:visited { BACKGROUND: url(/htf/images/csstyle/button2.gif) no-repeat right bottom } .hilite { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff0 } .hilite1 { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff0 } .hilite2 { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f0f } .hilite3 { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #0ff } .headlinks2 { FONT: bold 12px tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 15px; COLOR: #ffff66; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .headlinks2 A:link { COLOR: #ffff66; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .headlinks_alink { COLOR: #ffff66; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .headlinks2 A:visited { COLOR: #ffff66; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .headlinks_avisited { COLOR: #ffff66; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .headlinks2 A:hover { COLOR: #ffff66; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .headlinks A:active { COLOR: #ffff66; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .headlinks_ahover { COLOR: #ffff66; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } #mainContainer { BORDER-RIGHT: #317082 1px solid; MARGIN: 0px auto; BORDER-LEFT: #317082 1px solid; WIDTH: 630px; HEIGHT: 100%; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff; TEXT-ALIGN: left } #menuColumn { PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; FONT-SIZE: 0.9em; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; WIDTH: 160px; PADDING-TOP: 5px } #mainContent { FLOAT: left; WIDTH: 440px } .oddRow { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff } .evenRow { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eee } .productTable { BORDER-RIGHT: #000 3px double; BORDER-TOP: #000 3px double; BORDER-LEFT: #000 3px double; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000 3px double } H3 { MARGIN-TOP: 0px } #ajax_tooltipObj { Z-INDEX: 1000000; TEXT-ALIGN: left } #ajax_tooltipObj DIV { POSITION: relative } #ajax_tooltipObj .ajax_tooltip_arrow { BACKGROUND-POSITION: left center; Z-INDEX: 1000005; LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(Home Theater Forum - Powered by Home Theater Forum WIDTH: 20px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 60px } #ajax_tooltipObj .ajax_tooltip_content { BORDER-RIGHT: #317082 2px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-TOP: #317082 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; FONT-SIZE: 0.8em; Z-INDEX: 1000001; LEFT: 18px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; OVERFLOW: auto; BORDER-LEFT: #317082 2px solid; WIDTH: 150px; PADDING-TOP: 5px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #317082 2px solid; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 200px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff } .highslide { CURSOR: url(../../highslide/graphics/zoomin.cur), pointer; outline: none } .highslide-active-anchor IMG { VISIBILITY: hidden } .highslide:hover IMG { BORDER-RIGHT: white 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: white 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: white 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 0px solid } .highslide-wrapper { } .highslide-image { BORDER-RIGHT: white 2px solid; BORDER-TOP: white 2px solid; BORDER-LEFT: white 2px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 2px solid } .highslide-image-blur { } .highslide-dimming { BACKGROUND: black; VISIBILITY: hidden; POSITION: absolute } .highslide-active-anchor IMG { VISIBILITY: hidden } .highslide-caption { BORDER-RIGHT: white 2px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; BORDER-TOP: white 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: white 2px solid; PADDING-TOP: 5px; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 2px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Helvetica; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white } .highslide-loading { PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; BORDER-TOP: white 1px solid; DISPLAY: block; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 9px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; COLOR: white; PADDING-TOP: 3px; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A.highslide-credits { PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; FONT-SIZE: 10px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; COLOR: silver; PADDING-TOP: 2px; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A.highslide-credits I { PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; FONT-SIZE: 10px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; COLOR: silver; PADDING-TOP: 2px; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A.highslide-credits:hover { COLOR: white; BACKGROUND-COLOR: gray } A.highslide-credits:hover I { COLOR: white; BACKGROUND-COLOR: gray } .highslide-move { CURSOR: move } .highslide-overlay { DISPLAY: none } A.highslide-full-expand { DISPLAY: block; BACKGROUND: url(../../highslide/graphics/fullexpand.gif) no-repeat; MARGIN: 0px 10px 10px 0px; WIDTH: 34px; HEIGHT: 34px } .control { DISPLAY: block; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FLOAT: right; MARGIN: 1px 5px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: uppercase; POSITION: relative; TEXT-DECORATION: none } .control:hover { BORDER-TOP: #333 1px solid; MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #333 1px solid } .control { COLOR: #666 } .control * { COLOR: #666 } .highslide-display-block { DISPLAY: block } .highslide-display-none { DISPLAY: none } .highslide-background { COLOR: #000000 } .textboxstyle { PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; BACKGROUND-POSITION: right center; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(Home Theater Forum - Powered by Home Theater Forum BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat } P { MARGIN: 0px } Yes I know there alot of sentimentality for MGM's wonderful back lot and I know I speck a minority opinion hear. But honestly one of the reasons MTFU gets very dull in S3 besides from some really horrible scrips, Is you keep seeing the same caned studio sound stages and "back lot" locations over and over and over again, and visually the show gets very stale and boring to watch:frowning: It really lost much of it "freshness" and hip feel due MTFU being hostage to mgm lot. Also the lot was really designed to look good for mostly b/w production and shot in detail enhanceing color and sometimes sets look pretty cheesy. Honestly in my book for the mgm back lot did not help MTFU that much. Thats my 2 cents.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Bob, I have to agree with you. I'm watching S2 right now. For me, I've concluded that the switch to color destroyed the atmosphere the show had in S1. It also does no favors to the MGM backlot. It seems like almost every episode gives me a sense of deja vu because of how familiar the sets are. While the show is one of my all-time favorites, the color episodes feel a bit... cheap. :frowning:

BobSchneider

Second Unit

For me it didn't really become a issue till season 3 where there are some mind boggling bad scripts and while watching the show you mind wanders away from the poor story and inane dialog you start noticing fake walls that vibrate when people pass by or the same bit of "fake back lot African jungle" you saw two episodes ago. Honest my favorite season is Tmfu is S1 then s2, s4 and s3 last. But to some degree this is true with all tv production, to keep the costs down some sets are "fixed"and location shooting is limited (ie sets used time and again like ncis headquarters) the mind wanders if the script is so so to bad and you begin to pick apart the weakness of production. That why Ive felt sometimes if a production company has the choice between spending money for better writers or fancier production Id voter for better writers because your mind wont be looking to teardown the 4th wall, your mind is absorbed to the world of story created by the actors. Its when the story breaks down the trouble begins.;)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The third season stinks because the show became a victim to the "wave of camp" that was sweeping pop culture thanks to the swift success of Batman. The third season episode play like either short version of Dean Martin's Matt Helm flicks or hour long episodes of Get Smart.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yes true , but it fell victim to bad writting/script selection and the old saying is true , if it not on the page it not on the screen hold true here.;)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I think the one thing that is overlooked in the 3rd season is the time change.
If you look at the first 7 or 8 shows that season, there was no drop off in quality. People could have tuned in the old time slot, not seen it, and assumed it was not on anymore. Also a Friday at 10PM slot means you could go out and have a good night and come home and watch the show. Sat at 8PM cuts right into the evening. That certainly did not help among its core of younger viewers. The 4th season was an ill-conceived attempt to move to a adult show. The trouble is that it was not going to beat an adult established show like Gunsmoke. Ironically its replacement, Laugh-In, found success by appealing to younger viewers. The very people that UNCLE had thrown under the bus.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I know the TV movie was out on DVD previously. Hopefully, this release will see better picture quality and more extras.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I'm looking forward to the tv movie. It wasn't particularly good, but it was fun in its own way. I'll be able to retire my home-transfer from the VHS.

Being a Region 2er, I've had the benefit of the five-movie box set, but I'd still like to see a proper set of the movies.

Call me weird, but I'd like to make a vote in favour of the "camp" episodes. I don't agree with the Jon Heitland line that the show went downhill with seasons two and three. For my money it was at its strongest with those seasons.

IMHO, the show works because it doesn't take the spy-fi genre seriously. Like Batman it works on two levels - as a derring-do family entertainment taken at face value, and as a tongue-in-cheek satire of other deadly serious examples of the genre. The 1960s were a unique period in television and film when a light-hearted, subversive tone came into fashion. It's diametrically opposed to the po-faced, gritty and dark style favoured today (and presumably the reason for so many (younger?) viewers to react so harshly to such fare). Time was once, shows like UNCLE were looked on as "cool".

As you may already know, I'm a fan of the lighter Bond movies, of Matt Helm, Derek Flint, Bulldog Drummond and of tv series like UNCLE, The Avengers, Get Smart and the ITC legacy. I'm hoping for more fun as I introduce myself (at a late date admittedly) to the delights of I-Spy and Wild Wild West.

It's not that I don't enjoy the modern, grittier spy adventures. I do. I just have a soft spot for the good old bonkers plots, kinky villains and gimme-a-break action of the 1960s stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks