What's new

The Man From UNCLE?? (1 Viewer)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
You don't suppose there could be some Adam West-Batman kind of thing going on with UNCLE? It just struck me the show was regarded at one point as the camp version of Bond (Cubby Broccoli tried to kill the show on a couple of occasions, not least because Ian Fleming had contributed a couple of character names to the show).

On the other hand, maybe Warner are aware of the impression of double-standards such a release might suggest - if they're putting out that show, why won't they let Fox release Batman?

Just stirring it. :D

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for clearing that up for me Michael. I appreciate it. Now I know who I'm begging...asking to release UNCLE.

Mark, I think it's a conspiracy. THRUSH has joined forces with The Joker, The Riddler, Catwoman and The Penguin and are holding both shows hostage. I wonder what the ransom is. I'm willing to pay. :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
On his radio show this past weekend, Little Steven talked a little about the history of The Man From UNCLE and called for it to be released on DVD. He mentioned that there were 8 two-part episodes that were released as feature films in Europe, and he said those, at least, should be on DVD.

You can listen to the show (#181) here:
http://www.littlestevensundergroundg...lay/index.html

The segment regarding the show is the third set (chapters 5 & 6 on the jukebox). The segment also included audio clips from the show.

Back in February, Steven did a show dedicated to UNCLE. You can access that one at: http://www.littlestevensundergroundg...y/archive.html. It's Show #152.

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, maybe I'm slow, but this is something I've never understood. Maybe someone can explain it.

How come Warner has released some of the episodes that made up the five movies in R2 but won't release it for R1?
Or, release the rest of the episodes for that matter.

I know some super hardcore MFU TV series fans and they said the main reason for the release of some of those MFU TV movies on DVD in at least the UK and Australia, was to test the waters to see if there was enough of a demand for season box sets. If they sold well, then they would do them.

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder how well it sold. Hopefully well enough for them to release season box sets here. Fingers crossed.:)

Tom.W

Second Unit
Michael, I think this title is The Project Strigas Affair only, with Season 1 being a qualifier rather than indicating disc content. I don't have any inside knowledge, but that's my impression from this link. I think a few individual episodes were released on VHS in the nineties.

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, I think you're right about the Netflix thing.
There were some episodes released on VHS in the nineties. Forty-four episodes on twenty-two tapes.

And as far as the popularity of the region 2 releases of the movies, I looked on amazonUK and the sales rank for the dvds is 3,830. I don't know if that's good or not.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Remember this has been out for a while. I know that Amazon
has had to re-order the title at least once. I also know that some of the other stores linked to Amazon apparently had to re-order.

I think the rankings are updated on a weekly basis. So 3,830th would be its rank for that week. You would have to look at its complete weekly ratings from the week that it came out to make any conclusions.

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I e-mailed Warner Home Video customer service asking about the UNCLE dvd and the reply was:

"Unfortunately there is no release or production information for the product you requested at this time."

Ouch :frowning:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

It's not like they would tell you! Do you know what could happen if that information got into the wrong hands?

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, but I thought maybe it was available for pre-order, or listed as an upcoming release on their website and I couldn't find it.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
If this is indeed true then that is great news. This is really one of the biggest missing shows from the 60s, along with The Fugitive, Mission: Impossible and Hawaii Five-O. Since it has had such a poor syndication record over the last 3 decades, people who weren't around at the time have no idea just how popular this show was worldwide. I just hope that when they start putting it out, the abominable 3rd season doesn't sabotage the release of the 4th season.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Interesting Pavan, thanks for sharing. Warner's theatrical group said at the recent HTF chat that they absolutely do not license material. It looks like the TV side has a different policy. When the chat with the animation/TV group happens this is sure to be a topic.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks