What's new

The Man Called Flintstone (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
From what little I have gathered about the theatrical format for movies made in the fifties and sixties, and somebody quote me if I'm wrong about this, but most films back then were filmed in the original full frame format.

I know that most Japanese films early on weren't filmed in widescreen format. Just take a look at some of the first few Godzilla films were filmed in their full frame.

Some earlier films that came out of Hollywood were filmed the way way and I think this must be why this film has appeared in full frame.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
andrew were did you check?
does overstock ship north?
as i said earlier it is listed there as well as best buy.
several others have it in 1 or 2 days.

amazon.ca has it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Massive Thread Bump!!!!

I do have at least a couple of questions relating to this title!

The DVD I have, while lacking an actual year of release on the cover, it does appear to be the 2008 Region 1 WB release. Does the '05 Made in Canada DVD issue have the original Wilma holding the torch animation preceding the opening titles, or is this only included on the European DVD release, as mentioned on THE MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE (1966) IMDB page?

While my DVD bears the STANDARD VERSION PRESENTED IN A FORMAT PRESERVING THE ASPECT RATIO OF ITS ORIGINAL THEATRICAL EXHIBITION, it is 1.33:1 open matte. I just read that the iTunes digital version released in 2010 is a matted 1.78:1 aspect ratio. Does anyone know which AR, if either, is the original theatrical aspect? My guess would be the latter, but I would love some positive clarification, especially from the OAR Experts! (Paging Bob Furmanek!)

CHEERS! :)

P.S. Upon checking the DVD itself, the label bears the year 2004, ergo the original Columbia Logo with Wilma holding the torch is indeed, only on the European DVD release!

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Massive Thread Bump!!!!

I do have at least a couple of questions relating to this title!

The DVD I have, while lacking an actual year of release on the cover, it does appear to be the 2008 Region 1 WB release. Does the '05 Made in Canada DVD issue have the original Wilma holding the torch animation preceding the opening titles, or is this only included on the European DVD release, as mentioned on THE MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE (1966) IMDB page?

While my DVD bears the STANDARD VERSION PRESENTED IN A FORMAT PRESERVING THE ASPECT RATIO OF ITS ORIGINAL THEATRICAL EXHIBITION, it is 1.33:1 open matte. I just read that the iTunes digital version released in 2010 is a matted 1.78:1 aspect ratio. Does anyone know which AR, if either, is the original theatrical aspect? My guess would be the latter, but I would love some positive clarification, especially from the OAR Experts! (Paging Bob Furmanek!)

P.S. Upon checking the DVD itself, the label bears the year 2004, ergo the original Columbia Logo with Wilma holding the torch is indeed, only on the European DVD release!
I have the Canadian DVD and it does not have Wilma in the Colombia Logo.
The Boomerang streaming version is also in 1.78:1. Either 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 would have been the correct aspect ratio since this was released to theaters in 1966.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have the Canadian DVD and it does not have Wilma in the Colombia Logo.
The Boomerang streaming version is also in 1.78:1. Either 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 would have been the correct aspect ratio since this was released to theaters in 1966.
That would definitely be my first assumption, although there can always be those niggling exceptions. I did also post my OAR question for this title on the Aspect Ratios thread. Was WB in the habit of getting it wrong with advertising their DVD titles as being in the standard original aspect ratio when it just wasn't so, back in the '00s?

I'm assuming the streaming versions of THE MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE (1966) are also minus the Wilma holding the torch Columbia logo. Is this correct?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have the VHS cassette, 1991 release from Hanna Barbera home video and it has Wilma holding the torch in the Columbia logo prior to the opening credits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks