What's new

Pre-Order The Mamie Van Doren Film Noir Collection (1957-58) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
213565_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
I can't speak for the other two, but The Girl in Black Stockings is one of the worst noirs I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. It's a terrible movie, and not in a fun way. I'm sure MVD fans will be pleased, I'm just sayin'... caveat emptor.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I can't speak for the other two, but The Girl in Black Stockings is one of the worst noirs I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. It's a terrible movie, and not in a fun way. I'm sure MVD fans will be pleased, I'm just sayin'... caveat emptor.
I've only seen GUNS, GIRLS & GANGSTERS at 3AM on TCM a few years ago, which is to my mind, one of the great, unacknowledged film maudit near-masterpieces of the 1950's, whose tawdriness & no-budget slovenliness, even its lack of any kind of visual elegance is its strongest aesthetic strategy. The film is claustrophobic and riveting, and the no-frills, low key and low budget style, as well as the clean, bare-bones storytelling, which depends on character, not plot, is not all that different from a film the director made roughly 25 years earlier, called LAW AND ORDER, a very dark--visually as well as morally--spare, and character-driven film about the gunfight at the OK corral.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just ordered this set today. Looking forward to it. I don’t believe I have seen any of her films before.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I’m enjoying this set. Nice interview with Mamie in her career and the films in this set too.
I particularly like "Guns, Girls and Gangsters", which is real bottom of the barrel Noir with a gritty style and great cast, especially Lee Van Cleef.

I'd also recommend "High School Confidential!", directed by Jack Arnold, of "Incredible Shrinking Man" fame, which was released on Blu-Ray by Olive, but I don't know whether it's still in print.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I particularly like "Guns, Girls and Gangsters", which is real bottom of the barrel Noir with a gritty style and great cast, especially Lee Van Cleef.

I'd also recommend "High School Confidential!", directed by Jack Arnold, of "Incredible Shrinking Man" fame, which was released on Blu-Ray by Olive, but I don't know whether it's still in print.

I just watched Guns, Girls, and Gangsters last night! Vice raid is next.

Van Cleef was great. I enjoyed the film and Mamie’s music numbers were great too. The narration was a bit much though.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
it set should have her crowning glory film Navy. vs the Night Monsters!!

Attachments

• MV5BNjVkZDMzZDAtYWU5ZS00YzM2LTg4ODAtMGMyOTNlOWMwZTUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BNjVkZDMzZDAtYWU5ZS00YzM2LTg4ODAtMGMyOTNlOWMwZTUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@._V1_.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 28

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Capt. Cheese Pro, I have this in my extensive SD/BD sci-fi/horror collection...and it looks like shit...courtesy of Cheezy Flicks...otherwise we would not have it.

Just a quick question, has anyone seen BATMAN DEADEND (dressed as the Batman from the 40's) where he fights the Joker and the Alien. It's an awsome video. Glad I'm fortunate to have it.

Actually the title is : GRAYSON (where Batman dies and Dick Grayson takes over the role of Batman ) The disc includes GRAYSON and BATMAN; DEADEND.

Acquired at some distant time at a Sci-fi/horror convention.

I show it to many that enter my home theater.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Capt. Cheese Pro, I have this in my extensive SD/BD sci-fi/horror collection...and it looks like shit...courtesy of Cheezy Flicks...otherwise we would not have it.

Just a quick question, has anyone seen BATMAN DEADEND (dressed as the Batman from the 40's) where he fights the Joker and the Alien. It's an awsome video. Glad I'm fortunate to have i

Acquired at some distant in time Sci-fi/horror convention.
your right, but Not holding me breath on a restoration...but it would be cool!!
Are you talking about this fan-film?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'm Confused, first you say "That's it...what a great fan based film!!!!!!" and then you say right after that "Not that bullshit intro!" followed by "ISN'T THIS AWESOME!!!"?????? Yes it was a cool and weird short subject film, nicely done, defintatly in the Dark Knight motif. I had never seen that one, thanks for the headsup...which ever one it is, LOL!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Interesting seeing Mamie Van Doren and Loretta Young threads on the same page.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Just a quick question, has anyone seen BATMAN DEADEND (dressed as the Batman from the 40's) where he fights the Joker and the Alien. It's an awsome video. Glad I'm fortunate to have it.

Actually the title is : GRAYSON (where Batman dies and Dick Grayson takes over the role of Batman ) The disc includes GRAYSON and BATMAN; DEADEND.

Acquired at some distant time at a Sci-fi/horror convention.

I show it to many that enter my home theater.
not to mention Preditor as well...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Finished Vice Raid tonight. I think it’s my third favorite of the set. The first two films I really liked a lot.

Now I’ll have to investigate which of her films to see next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks