The Maltese Falcon 3-Disc Special Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by mike--, Oct 3, 2006.

1. mike--

mike-- Stunt Coordinator

Just got this today,.............kudos to the Warner staff, they have done it again! The picture quality is stunning!......curiously enough, it includes some Warner Looney Tunes, one of which, a Porky Pig cartoon, mixed in 5.1 audio or some kind of stereo surround!

2. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I have not seen any reviews of this suprisingly, but just picked it up and am looking forward to seeing it soon.

3. jackbogart

jackbogart Extra

i have it. it came in bogarts vol. 2 set im disapointed its in a thin case though

4. AlbertAgullo

AlbertAgullo Agent

Hi, Mike!
    Are the other two versions of the film subtitled in any language?

Regrads

5. Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately this isn't coming out until OCTOBER 17th in Canada! I guess Warner USA put the copies bound for here on a steamship or something? I could literally walk across the border and still make it back home before this in-store date (and I'm not particularly close to a border crossing).

They're ridiculously inept these days, is Warner Canada.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

I don't know, given how many essential DVDs they release, their box sets fill up a shelf quickly! Since they don't use inserts 99% of the time, it only makes sense to use thinkpaks for box sets. I wouldn't mind if they switched for single releases, in fact.

Once I get a rebate I'm waiting for, I'll be picking up this along with the Legends of Horror set.

7. Jon Baker

Jon Baker Stunt Coordinator

I disagree. The type of people who are more concerned with shelfspace than product are more likely to rent than buy. If I'm going to dish out money for a box set, I'd prefer it to be the standard Amray format packaging consistant with the rest of my collection.

8. mike--

mike-- Stunt Coordinator

Yes Albert, the other 2 films are subtitled in French, Spanish and English. ........I find it kinda strange as I said before, that a Porky Pig cartoon-a black and white one too nonetheless!-made in 1941, should have any kind of different audio mix other than mono. Unless it was some kind of expirament at that time.

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I guess this mean we Canadians should expect billingual packaging?

*sigh*

Hopefully, all the films and extras are actually included. And it turns up on shelf when it's supposed to...

And to my knowledge, there is no reason that these cartoons should be released in anything but mono.

10. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam

The new Maltese Falcon set has 2 slim cases inside a slipcase, which is roughly the same width as a standard Amray case. Seems like this would satisfy either preference.

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Nope! From a packaging point of view I'd prefer a triple case. I don't like thin cases.

12. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely not. That might be your opinion but don't think that you speak for everyone. I buy DVDs often, live in an apartment, and am quickly running out of space for more. This is the same reason that the majority of my 1500+ CDs are in large CD wallets right now. I don't like doing it, but I'm out of storage space. I haven't gone the same route with DVDs, because I value having the case with me when I watch a movie, but I'm absolutely thrilled that slimcases are becoming the norm for WB boxed sets as well as TV-on-DVD sets. If I could trade in my first two film noir classic collection boxes and get new, slimcase versions, I'd do it in a second. I rarely rent movies (except for ones I want to see but doubt I'll want to see more than once) and I'm VERy concerned about shelfspace. It hasn't stopped me from buying, but I'm happy to see slimcases becoming the standard.

13. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I don't know about that. While I also like the standard cases better, the slimcases certainly would take up less space for those that buy a lot of DVDs.

I know that for myself, I have run out of space for DVDs. My cabinets are filled, I have stacks all over the place, and over 20 boxes filled with DVDs. If they were all in slimcases, I'd have a lot more room to display them.

14. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but the above statement is not only false it doesn't make sense. Those who buy a lot of DVDs are much more apt to be concerned about space. If they're not concerned, then their wives will be [​IMG]

Warners must be amazed at some of the comments in this thread and the Bogey Vol 2 thread. They've apparently gone all out to provide an affordable collection of very good presentations supplemented by substantive bonus material and all some want to talk about are the color of cases used and the sizes of said cases.

Let's keep things in perspective and give Warners feedback on things that really matter like the quality of their transfers, the value of their extras, and the selection of titles being released.

15. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Well said, Steve. Warner is the best studio when it comes to DVD, period. Too bad a stellar release like The Maltese Falcon is met with petty bitching instead of the high praise it merits.

16. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Exactly. Perhaps the people who are obsessing over packaging here should start a new thread.

Back to the topic at hand. I watched the new release last night and "The Maltese Falcon" has never looked better. Absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to watch the other two filmed versions of the story and sift through the extras. Warner has done a great job with this title and they continue to keep the DVD bar raised high.

17. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Well, y'see, Steve, that's the problem. Every person has his own idea of what matters or not, and it's all subjective.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The problem was until very recently, people were just expressing their dissatisfaction with the packaging without saying anything positive about the dvds persentations. Also, can we please cease with the sarcastic remarks about Warner because they serve no purpose in this discussion.

Crawdaddy

19. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

Can anyone comment on just how great of an improvement the transfer is compared to the original release? I'm planning to get the new 3Disc-er at some point mostly because I want the rest of the titles in the Bogart v.2 box, but if the new transfer is that much greater, it might make its way higher up in my queue.

20. Ira Siegel

Ira Siegel Stunt Coordinator

I looked at the new DVD release and the year 2000 DVD release last night. The new one is fantastically better![​IMG]