The Making of Star Trek - the motion picture : Documentary never released ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jerome, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

I read somewhere that a documentary about the making of Star Trek - The Motion picture was produced some years ago but never broadcasted or released ?

Does anyone know more about this rumor ?

Maybe it is a behind the scenes featurette, made at the time of the theatrical release.

2. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Are you referring to something different than the documentaries/featurettes on the Director's Edition release?

3. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

I think what he's talking about is the complete unedited version of the making-of documentary material that got put on the Director's Edition of Star Trek TMP 4 years ago.

As I understand it, the original version of the documentary was pretty frank about all the infighting that was going on behind the scenes between Livingston and Roddenberry, as well as the work that Katzenberg was doing behind the scenes trying to get the movie finished. When the suits at Paramount saw the initial cut of the documentary, they demanded a series of cuts to get the more offending bits cut out. It's the same kind of thing that happened to the documentaries on Alien 3 in the Quadrilogy. Personally, I'd love to see the uncut documentaries from both discs - I'm sure there's some juicy stuff nobody's seen yet...

4. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

thanks for the infos Kevin EK [​IMG]