The Majestic gets piloried by reviewers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Todorov, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Man I've seen bad reviews before, but the way The Majestic is getting slammed you have to go back, beyond Battlefield Earth, all the way to Saturn 3 to find reviews this bad.
    From the NY Times:

2. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I know and as a faithful fan of Capracorn I was looking forward to this. I may go ahead and see it anyway if I have the time.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Speaking of Capra, a former colleague of mine, Andy Klein, now a film critic for New Times L.A., said in his review of The Majestic that it should do wonders for Capra's legacy by virtue of comparison to this film.

Lots of thumbs-down going around for The Majestic.

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I've seen quite a few positive reviews (3.5 stars from Ebert) as well. I am glad I blew off the reviews for Vanilla Sky. It became one of my favorite movies of the year.

That being said, I won't go within 20 ft of this one. But that's my opinion.

Take care,

Chuck

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Between "The Majestic" and "A Beautiful Mind", we are being asked to endure far too much cinematic crapola this holiday season. Fie, Hollywood, fie!

(Not quite sure what "fie" means, but I intend it in a purely negative sense!)

6. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Ebert and Roeper both gave it a favorable review.

Quite favorable actually.

7. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

8. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

So far I've seen nothing but positive reviews for The Majestic. I'll get around to watching it after Ali and Beautifil Mind and Lotr.

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I saw The Majestic about a week ago, and I really did not like it. I am not at all surprised that Ebert (and others) have embraced it though, as its the typical "feel-good" Hollywood schmaltz that gets everyone involved a nice fat paycheck.
    If there's any justice, this movie will bomb and bomb big. It's nothing more than a Robin Williams movie starring Jim Carrey. If you'd like to read my full review, please do so here.
    If you've seen the movie already, let me know if you think I'm being too harsh...and I'll explain why I'm not. [​IMG]

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'll probably like this movie. Darabont's other two films, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile were excellent movies and I happen to be a Frank Capra fan (I have 3 of his films on DVD).

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I haven't seen The Majestic, but when I saw that the Times review was by Elvis Mitchell, I knew it would be a slam. He hated The Green Mile. I think Darabont's one of his whipping boys.

Of course, the film could still be bad.

M.

12. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

I just got back from a screening, and while I can understand some of the reviewer's comments, I also think some of you might enjoy the movie a great deal. I'll save more detailed comments for the review thread, but suffice to say I loved the film. It was a little nostagic, and like other Darabont films he builds characters you will really love by the end of it. Like the setting of the movie, it really feels like one of the old, classic films and I was pretty immersed in it by the second Act. If you enjoyed his previous films I think you should at least just check this out with an open mind.

13. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I've figured that this movie will be slammed by most reviewers (glad to see Ebert is sensible as almost always), because too many reviewers are so cynical that they seem to hate all movies unless it is incomprehensible to the average viewer (ie indie films), of course i'd probably be cynical too if I had to sit through and then write about every damn movie that comes out (battlefield earth, dude where's my car, freddy got fingered, shallow hal etc) most of which is machine processed crap. But when one of my favorite directors makes a film that is unashedmedly supposed to make me feel good, I will take all negatvie reviews with a large grain of salt. I'm really looking forward to the Majestic, I love Capra, aI love Darabont, I think Jim Carrey has genuine talent, and I'm a hopeless romantic who loves romantic comedies and happy endings, every once in a while.

Adam

14. Jules

Jules Auditioning

"But, what fulfilled an audience's fantasies in 1939 doesn't play too well in a 2001 film. Of course, it's the favored fare for some filmgoers and always will be the kind of presentation to satisfy their need for..."
    ~~ The Filmiliar Cineaste
    http://variagate.com/movrevue.htm?Forum[​IMG]

15. James David Walley

James David Walley Stunt Coordinator

One of the ironies of The Majestic is that it's a "Capraesque" film with a victim of the Hollywood Blacklist as its hero. Amusing when you consider that Frank Capra himself was one of the main forces behind the Blacklist.

16. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I am not at all surprised that Ebert (and others) have embraced it though, as its the typical "feel-good" Hollywood schmaltz that gets everyone involved a nice fat paycheck.

17. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I quite like Darabont's work, and even enjoy Carrey most of the time, but The Majestic, to me, represents everything that is wrong with mainstream "quality" cinema. Its length is bloated by its self-importance (as an aside, has someone told Darabont that good films also run for less than 150 minutes); it was made to win Oscars (please, just give one to Carrey so he can go back to making good films) and, as a result, will win none; its sentimentality and romanticism is deeply cynical and hollow; and the film, at heart, is no more "Capraesque" than Gladiator - Capra genuinely believed what he was saying in his movies - Darabont is just being preachy and contrived. And whoever idea it was to get Carrey to do those appalling "Christmas gift" infomercials for the film should be hung, drawn and summarily quartered.

18. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

19. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Mitty beat me to it. I've never heard that. Any references.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert